Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock Frame and Custom Frame, Rat em up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got some build off material!

NiZ4zBq1lpuVLa_tjldBoPK3nElxpbCW3-AjqoxVE8CxgFWtJN_7XPpkJ98IYDPLQY2D-Av87VN5jQdrOcbHZB0u-17JcZT1TpBdTm5BxEznW41XJ-4j-nQyUYhLfgpemsc319Qaz9s37r0qc5LSW3KrOB4xHpf1pX2plR9zpA1BfY4TOZcS14NUe9HZ2mKkFkwneNCg24IUVhwoyBEpYqAHxL6ZT3hOD7PsfG7KtgXhNQTddEQqkTKoq0xApkXGZLzJDEjSyI939zTZYNGorIVPRem21BB-ZHaNofptB0ao1-RLLnukHGqyvbyyTo9ltwVRXKZMnFumzBnonlWd-lW0oA0onNMUhuslTuM3S9Ie9MLe2y6fMwvFVGgGh7aDT05x6RiK4oIvAz_VTEf7srKLaA63QZwqfkoXqDLUK-T_KPiznjl1btJq4tzWEVXGXZ-qqiaDnCRbEx_7FwpwQAy3oBKFQt6KYx97pOohX_D9tztw5w2qwr736a40MkTk7r6xG5BIKESpaBajRktjmwXRtQ5ufAJMt2qrLQqBQCrASy5gRXR91KqYAX4jc2a2UMXunEhzORCQga2lQ7OWVlyl8Av59O8f8JElgUuqZJFcDfV_Ruuv_Ot-77bJGFuTSZo8V3Q3g4O9ClHfPxDIwHfAXnYHuGxQ=w1273-h954-no

Ya I'm the whippersnapper it seems, 23 in April.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
So potential builders range in years from 23 to 73? Anyone else outside that range?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frame geometry.
If you weld on a fender bracket or cable stops etc. that doesn't change the geometry. If I add six inches of tube behind the bottom bracket that effectively raises the rear axle and changes the geometry of the bike a LOT = frame mod. I think if you're modding the bike to make it look/ride different, like stretching or chopping the frame anywhere, then that changes the geometry and = a frame mod. Weld on bunny ears? No geometry change. Stretching the rear dropouts a foot, frame mod. That's what I think anyway. Nothing but my opinion...

Carl.

Frame geometry.
If you weld on a fender bracket or cable stops etc. that doesn't change the geometry. If I add six inches of tube behind the bottom bracket that effectively raises the rear axle and changes the geometry of the bike a LOT = frame mod. I think if you're modding the bike to make it look/ride different, like stretching or chopping the frame anywhere, then that changes the geometry and = a frame mod. Weld on bunny ears? No geometry change. Stretching the rear dropouts a foot, frame mod. That's what I think anyway. Nothing but my opinion...

Carl.
That's a good evaluation of frame mod, Carl. Changing the geometry of the frame would be a mod.

"Weld on bunny ears?" Are you giving away your summer build idea...? :21:

Probably a stupid question, but if you figured out how to change the geometry by bolting on something like maybe dropout extensions that lower the rear of the bike and increase the wheelbase, which classification would that be under?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well...
I don't make the rules (I usually try to bend them!) and the frame geometry discussion was about welding mods.
But if it's not a WELD on modification to the frame then it's whatever they decide to call the "no weld" class... Interestingly, a few folks on here have created some pretty radical "bolt on only" bikes.
@The Renaissance Man is one of them...

Carl.

There's always a yeah but...
The question about weld on cable stops and brake hanger bridges is valid. There's no real "advantage" gained except safety, and pushing a simple mod like that into the "Unlimited" class discourages rather than promotes the hobby. TOO many rules discourages also. I believe that's why we've always tried to keep it simple. Yet there's always going to be exceptions...
The geometry mod idea was just a way to explain the difference. Personally I like ONE class. Competing against Restorations, Trailer Queens and Custom Built Frames with my Freak Rat bikes is one of my favorite things to do...
KIMG0685.JPG
Weld Mod ^^^
No Weld Mods vvv
LittleNeutrino013.JPG

Carl. (no bunny ears yet)

Last edited:
Geometry mods goes without saying because they're standard in
No weld should means just that. If you want to braze a tiny part that's a weld.
There will more than likely be exceptions to the rules. More headache for the admin but better overall in the spirit of honest competition IMO.

I will be entering the 'JB-weld' class:D...JK

Actually a braze is not a weld by definition. They are totally different. I agree with Carl, braze on some canti mounts is ok for factory frame class, fillet braze or weld a frame and change geometry, that would be the mod frame class.

To me 'no-weld' are restorations and bikes made from bicycle 'bolt-on' parts, and or parts fabricated with hand and power tools excluding welding equipment.

Geometry mods should be irrelevant and separate from class of weld or no weld.

You don't need "welding equipment" to add cable guides or bunny ears. A propane torch and Harris 56 will do it. That's a big difference from some one cutting tubes and rearranging geometry.

IMO, a braze on could be substituted by a clamp on in most cases as they're non structural, which wouldn't be a frame mod, so neither should fall under frame mods.

... Personally I like ONE class. Competing against Restorations, Trailer Queens and Custom Built Frames with my Freak Rat bikes is one of my favorite things to do...
Carl. (no bunny ears yet)

This gets my vote, no pun intended. One class, run whatcha brung.

furyus

I have to admit one class would be easier then anything else. Then you could also get creative with voting, vote multiple times. Examples like...peoples choice, most creative, best classic, whatever. No rules other then the regular stuff, 1 class, a couple voting options.

Multiple Voting Choices...
Hmm, shows do it. I think it'd be cool but we can't get hung up on definitions. What ever the VOTER thinks would have to be the rule. I kinda like the sound of "Best Super-modified, Unlimited Class, King of the Rats"
(on a 2XL t-shirt please...)

Merle.

Then you could also get creative with voting, vote multiple times. Examples like...peoples choice, most creative, best classic, whatever.
I like the “show” type category idea put forth by TFIA. This has been done in the past by individuals in the builds.
I’d also like to see the voting results closed until voting ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back