Tin Roof Rusted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my crank was toast, I tried this one on in its place:
001.JPG

002.JPG

With the guard:
003.JPG

004.JPG

Works for me.

Tackled straightening my fork today. Used my Hi Lift jack and an old girls frame. Initially thought I had over-corrected, but it looks pretty good.

Before:
001.JPG

After:
002.JPG

With the wheelset I deciced on:
004.JPG

Back wheel is pretty straight. Has a Morrow hub that will need the skiptooth cog swapped out. The front needs quite a bit of straightening and is missing a spoke. It has a New Departure hub.
Also I need the right crown race for the fork so it will sit in the head tube right.

Can you please make more pictures of the front wheel? I'm interested in the hub, does it have any markings, and how does the rim style look like? 26"?

Sorry for the questions, but I think I'm onto something... :39:

Can you please make more pictures of the front wheel? I'm interested in the hub, does it have any markings, and how does the rim style look like? 26"?

Sorry for the questions, but I think I'm onto something... :39:
Not a problem. I will get some detailed pics of the front wheel in the morning. And yes, they are 26" rims, I will be running 26 x 2.125 tires.

Not a problem. I will get some detailed pics of the front wheel in the morning. And yes, they are 26" rims, I will be running 26 x 2.125 tires.

Nice, and the front one didn't came from the same bike as the rear one?

Ah, you got me there! At first glance they looked like wheels from a Tyler/Universal from my homeland.;)

I tried to free up my seat post today. Had to cut the binder bolt off.
013.JPG

Post stuck pretty solid, so I drove a wooden dowel into the seatpost and flipped the bike upside down and sprayed penetrant in through the bottom bracket. I'll check it tomorrow.
015.JPG

Finally, I pulled a crown race from another fork and got the Columbia fork sitting where it is supposed to be.
014.JPG

Now I remember why I hadn't used this old wheelset on something by now.
View attachment 95528
The rear is dead straight. The front, not so much. I might as well try to straighten that too.

It doesn't look that bad. The rims on my Ukraina weren't entirely straight either, but I managed to get them kinda straight.

Latest posts

Back