42 Skidoo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the seat that needs firmer springs. I'll check the hardware store.
The test ride also highlighted the need for a front brake so it went on today.

DSCI0032.JPG

DSCI0037.JPG

Took the bare frame and forks to the best rated powder coat place on the island. Yelp comes in handy when checking a business. The candy and fancy versions were 40 bucks extra, but plain old fire engine red looked good so for about a hundred bucks it's a deal. They're going to mask off the serial numbers so they will stand out. New headset and handlebar stem ordered also.
DSCI0008.JPG

Got some new parts already. The headset looks like it will solve the short fork problem, only had a few extra threads for the cap nut on the fork using the old headset. The new Black Ops stem looks like it's well made, better than I thought it would be for 15 bucks.

DSCI0003.JPG

DSCI0004.JPG

Frame is ready, only 5 working days!
powder.JPG

The original color, a green of some kind, shows. Unless that's part of the welding process. What's on the ads from 1942 show a lakeland green, a bluish green. This looks more of an olive green. The 2 blanks added at the factory also show up.
DSCI0017.JPG

They said they would mask off the serial numbers for me, but they are still visible.

powder4.JPG

The new headset is too small, it should have been 1 1/4" instead of 1". I'll use the old one until the right set shows up. I'm also still waiting on the seat springs. Then I should be able to finish up in a week or so.

I tried it out using an extra seat. It rode well, but the cranks started sounding like sand was in the bearings. So I think some of the sand from sandblasting sand might have been left up in the frame tubes and is now in the crank bearings. I'll pull it apart and clean it up.
DSCI0024.JPG

I was going to add BMX footpegs front and rear, when I found these folding foot pegs. I'm recycling an old inner tube to cushion them against the forks. I have another style coming for the rear foot pegs.
DSCI0047.JPG

DSCI0048.JPG

Last edited:
The BB looked like someone had thrown a handful of sand in there.
How to clean up the bearing cages when you don't have a parts bath? A water flosser, of course, just don't get caught! The cranks are now rolling brand new as they should be.
DSCI0049.JPG

Looking great!

That sand can be a real problem. There's probably more still hiding all inside the frame. While you have it apart I would try to use compressed air in every tube that you can get to and rotate the frame around in lots of angles while your doing it.

Looking great!

That sand can be a real problem. There's probably more still hiding all inside the frame. While you have it apart I would try to use compressed air in every tube that you can get to and rotate the frame around in lots of angles while your doing it.

I thought about that too. I am limited to a toolbox and a kitchen table for bike work, so I did like you suggested and shook the frame at different angles and tapped on it with a hammer on the races to loosen up any leftover sand. Then I sealed off the frame tubes leading to the BB with wadded up plastic sandwich bags. One has a piece of paper with ID info in case I need to prove it's my bike. Now it's smooth and quiet.
powder3.JPG

You won't go hungry in my workshop!
DSCI0055.JPG

The new head set was too big. So, the old ones, maybe original 1942 cups, go back in. The threaded diameter was also too large, must be for the newer forks. It's good as is though, the new race on the forks give a little space so the cap nut has a few more threads.
The center stand allows for work on the head set along with allowing pedaling and free spinning of the rear wheel too. Almost like a bike stand.
DSCI0057.JPG

Everything showed up today! Chain, footrests, and springs. Added the dikes to make free shipping.
DSCI0060.JPG

All good, except the chain was missing the master link making it a link short, but I only needed 105 anyway and can use my gold master link. I've got gold springs and a gold bell as accents. The springs are much beefier than what came with the seat.
DSCI0061.JPG

DSCI0066.JPG

So, I'm finishing it up now and will take a ride later today.

Those gold springs look good on that seat. Love picking a free shipping bonus item. Nice when you can hit the number right on the nose.

The test ride went well until I tried to turn around and hit a hole in the turf. I need to take my rear wheel in to see if it can be straightened. But otherwise was a good ride. The folding foot pegs seem too flimsy. They'll have to go. I rode around Ford Island with the wife. Her Ferrari was a big success. It was found at the thrift store for 7 bucks. New was 400 bucks! It still needs the rear fender fixed, but it's good as it sits. I'll have to put it in the fresh finds forum. I found a new street in base housing while we were riding also.

62065614_2394988393855951_3586528696976015360_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back