FRANKENSHELBY ! - a little newer that I first thought..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primer & white then black... Giving 24 hrs between to dry.
iso paint.jpg

Not happy with coverage of black and gonna re coat today.
side paint.jpg

Going to lightly sand transition between white and black and re mask white further in and hope for a kind of fogged effect? Also going to curve tape to reshape edge.

I dig it super clean !

I dig it super clean !
Thanks! That's what I'm after, bike as found was so ratty yet the lines are so nice I wanted to show 'em off.
pinstripe detail 1.jpg

Added bearing cups and test fit an old Huffy crank.
iso bearing cup 1.jpg

I like the delicate thin vintage look of the crank, but it needs work.
test fit chainring 1.jpg

The crank arms were twisted (not 180 apart) heated center with torch and carefully straightened and left to air cool down.
crank twisted 1.jpg
crank twisted 2.jpg
crank twisted 3.jpg
crank untwisted 1.jpg

A test fit shows the right arm is bent inward, and is gonna need bending back. gonna have to be easy on the heat so I can sane the chrome!
bent crank 1.jpg
bent crank 2.jpg

Still trying to save that crank! Maybe put the crank in a donor frame and put a broken pedal in the bent arm so you can measure its trueness during the bend. Good luck with the challenge.

Hard to go wrong there. Both sets look great. Not a fan of red tires but those look killer. Love the ww/chrome too. Tough choice. Guess I like the white walls with chrome rims a little better.

I'm going to have to agree with Chad, the ww and chrome, and the tread on the tires, seem to go better with the frame / fork / bars.

Seems like for me the colored tires only really work on a chrome bike or a raw finish bike. But that's just my preference.

The red tires make the red stripes stand out better, but I am inclined to agree with the previous responses in favor of the white walls. You could split the difference and go with red walls. [emoji16]
f96bfe0788313396b483075623bbeabe.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beat me to it ^

I was thinking red walls also

or do both :D

vans-tires-20-26.jpg

Did a mock up with the chainguard and a 44t chainring.
chainguard 1.jpg
chainguard 2.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with Chad, the ww and chrome, and the tread on the tires, seem to go better with the frame / fork / bars.

Seems like for me the colored tires only really work on a chrome bike or a raw finish bike. But that's just my preference.

I agree maybe a chrome frame would look best with these very red Duro tires, and I can always swap em back to wide whites later on.

I'm wanting to run older stuff if possible and the Sachs Komet 20t on the painted wheels allows an easier pedal for cruising and some hills. :grin:

I can dig wanting to use older stuff. I also understand the 22t rear sprocket! I put one on my Spaceliner so I could keep the original 46t front sprocket.

I can dig wanting to use older stuff. I also understand the 22t rear sprocket! I put one on my Spaceliner so I could keep the original 46t front sprocket.

I've got a 48 x 20 on this bike, and it's a beast to keep rolling on any incline. But I only have about 1/16 of an inch clearance on both sides of the rear stays, so the chain tension / line is perfect right now! :bigsmile:

41922873_290386618445811_3794202683703820288_n.jpg
41985790_262743237703299_4410233918893064192_n.jpg

The white rims with the red duros look best with the paint scheme.
Hard to go wrong with a Shelby

Was given this ratty seat by Yooperman, and bought the seat post for $5 at a swap...
index.php

The angle was wrong so I took the funky curves out by heating it with s torch, and turned it into a lucky 7.
Ran old air hose around the ragged seat pan edge to prevent ripping the leather.
Used an old yoga mat for padding and used this method to form leather to pan.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....seat-or-not-how-to-recover.33484/#post-326757
seat 6076.JPG
side 6082.JPG
iso 6074.JPG

Latest posts

Back