Kona AA 26" BMX Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problemo...I love big BMX cruisers :thumbsup:

The cheapest I've gotten a 26" monocog for was $80 for a compete. I see them somewhat often on the local CL for ~$150...but, often with a suspension fork instead of the stock fork.

I believe that's the one. Most FGFS forks will only fit sub 2" 29s...but, will usually fit a good size 26". I think my Leader Reaper will take a 2.3" 26.

Landing Gear, 26 and 29, are both 29mm offset...I believe. There is a Black Ops chromoly bmx fork that comes in both 26 and 29 with a 40mm offset.

The FGFS forks are usually a pretty tight offset...like ~20mm or so.
Thanks for all the great info.

I also love the 26" BMX cruisers.
Think my build-off bike will end up that way too.

I'm going to see if I can find the specs on the Indy XC. Because, to me, lowered down without the springs, those look pretty right as far as offset goes.

There is always the spendy option as well...contact S&M custom shop...they can make a set of forks to your specifications, and chrome them as well. But...you'll probably be ~$200...maybe more :grin:.
I thought Black Ops was the cheap stuff. But their Defend'r forks are just as much as the Landing Gear.
I kinda do like the idea of the 40mm rake on the Black Ops though. And they look nice too.

You are in a unique period of time, however, where you can get landing gear for under $100 (aka 'black op pricing'). The normal bargain price for landing gear of pretty much any size is ~$119.99...with non-sale price $150-$170. So, buy 'em up while you can :grin:.

What about a triple tree fork?
You could adjust them to give you the stance you prefer.
Would also give it a DH/Moto look

Just spitballing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always liked the look of triple tree forks.

I would love to find a set like I had on my first BMX style bike as a kid. A chrome Mongoose(that was stolen) with a flat blade triple tree forks possible off of a 70's AMF Avenger but with a double clamp in place of the integrated bars.

Might go ahead and order a set of the chrome tubular ones with 1" steerer for my twin top tube Schwinn build-off bike. Might be a better fit on that frame.
Although those chopper forks and a banana seat might not look to bad on this Kona frame, I'm going for a more performance oriented build with a more subtle appearance.

Last edited:
Here’s an idea (photoshopped by @kingfisher254) that I was playing with using both trees set together with shortened legs.
cb7063c476623ea64ae67be01a8131d3.jpg

9795d4a8546e1b355bdc7a7e81ac9716.jpg

Here’s an idea (photoshopped by @kingfisher254) that I was playing with using both trees set together with shortened legs.
cb7063c476623ea64ae67be01a8131d3.jpg

9795d4a8546e1b355bdc7a7e81ac9716.jpg

Funny you should mention that.
I was thinking that I could use my existing crown, and get some rigid screw in blades/legs, to create a version of the Bontrager Switchblade
images (2).jpeg
I'm not going for a full race setup. Mainly just want the look and the higher bars, with some more offroad capability than your standard cruiser.
And I appreciate the slack rake that my current forks have.
I have also considered shortening the travel, or slamming and fixing my current forks, to get a lower BMX stance. Which I will probably try first in the spirit of non-typical ratification and making it work with what you have

I'll go ahead and get the bottom bracket, along with a BMX stem and bars to get this thing rolling again, since there's no way around those.

The two leaders in the race for the stem are the Banned Sludge in Bud Green
Banned_Sludge_Top_Load_Stem_Bud_Green_620-06566.270.jpg
And the Tangent Split, also in Green
TANGENT_SPLIT_STEM_GREEN_1.600.jpg

I like the Knight "Ruf" Neck also. But would have to settle for silver or black.
download (4).jpeg

Or the Redline Monster is a lesser(cheaper) stem in a favorable shade of blue. But I'd have to paint the frame right away for it not to clash.
REDLINE_MONSTER_STEM_BLU.270.jpg

Maybe I should consider a front load, but top load says BMX to me.

I'm indecisive so far with the bars. But am leaning towards a standard race bend, chromoly, 8, maybe 9-ish inch, in chrome or black.

Last edited:
Oh...and the seatpost spacer.
Still haven't ruled out the banana seat:D, but I'll go ahead and get a layback seatpost because I can always use it on the HardRock in the next build.

Really like the look of these Kona pedals....but a hunerd and twenty bucks!
Kona-Wah-Wah-2-Alloy-Platform-Pedals_Dark_2520Green_600x.jpg

So for ten bones, I'm going to give these translucent dark green plastic ones a try
download (5).jpeg

Edit: or these S&M GNS nylon pedals look a little more durable for 16.
download (6).jpeg

Last edited:
Stopped by the pawn shop on my way home yesterday, and got this filthy-dirty-cheap donor bike. Specialized Hardrock CrMo 4130. So cheap I don't even feel right sayin it.

They said the shifters didn't work, and the front brake was disconnected. Had one broken nipple on the front wheel.
15659862157351953905503.jpg

Frame is way too small for me.
20190816_143703.jpg

Sure I would've liked some real high end retro BMX wheels with dimpled spoke holes
But...it had a pretty sweet set of alloy rims, in black with the silver sides just like I wanted for this bike. And dark bronze sealed bearing alloy hubs, freewheel in the back. Nothing super high end, and they may be replaced at a later date, but a nice fit price-wise for a bike I didn't have much invested in.

Last edited:
Think I'll go ahead and order some nice black bars and a stem now. And a couple of cheap freewheel sprockets to try and hit the magic ratio. Got a couple other cheap builds in need of whichever sprockets don't work out.
Already stole the bottom bracket from a ladies donor bike. Same 68mm, but 114 spindle instead of the 110.
And going to try and cut the coil springs in half and spin them down on each other to have a super stiff short travel fork.
Might put some more money in it after I see how I like it like that.

Got a KMC chrome half-link chain in last night.

Was on sale for $9.99.

Have been looking at pics of the 26" landing gear, but looks too short and not enough rake for the look and feel I'm after. Barely any tire clearance and way up underneath.
The SE 29 might still a consideration.

I have easy access to a Big Ripper 29" LG that I can measure if you want...could probably reach one of my 26" LG for a comparison (and the 700c LG as well, which I believe is different than the big ripper even though many sources say they are the same...these are often the ones for sale on the web as 29ers) this weekend.

I have easy access to a Big Ripper 29" LG that I can measure if you want...could probably reach one of my 26" LG for a comparison (and the 700c LG as well, which I believe is different than the big ripper even though many sources say they are the same...these are often the ones for sale on the web as 29ers) this weekend.
I'd hate to put you through all that trouble.
I looked at one site that had the 29 on sale, but didn't have a part number listed. Other site said part #9234.
SE doesn't show a 700c model on their site that I could find. Just 26 or 29.

Nice project. I like it and I am considering doing one myself to race next summer. I have a frame but want a better one. I'll have to watch this. I have an inexpensive rigid disc brake Chinese carbon fork on one of my hard tail mountain bikes and it has taken a lot of abuse and not given me any problems. I used small mechanical disc brakes for weight savings and this is all I need. It's very light. I don't worry about the head angle since I replaced the front suspension as I don't fly down hills and climbing is more of a problem for me. The standard fork works for me without a problem. I like 34 x 14 or 16 for a single speed with 26 inch wheels. 14 might be better for you because I am old and have wimpy legs. 34 x 16 is pretty commonly used up here in the easier 50 mile cross country races with 29 inch wheels. This ratio is especially good if you don't have a lot of really steep and long hills. It works good for moderate single track hills and is pretty good on the flats. For tough tracks with a lot of steep climbing and little gravel or flats I use 28 x 20, but that is pretty spiney on the easier sections. Hardly any single speed riders I have seen use a ratio this low.

Nice project. I like it and I am considering doing one myself to race next summer. I have a frame but want a better one. I'll have to watch this. I have an inexpensive rigid disc brake Chinese carbon fork on one of my hard tail mountain bikes and it has taken a lot of abuse and not given me any problems. I used small mechanical disc brakes for weight savings and this is all I need. It's very light. I don't worry about the head angle since I replaced the front suspension as I don't fly down hills and climbing is more of a problem for me. The standard fork works for me without a problem. I like 34 x 14 or 16 for a single speed with 26 inch wheels. 14 might be better for you because I am old and have wimpy legs. 34 x 16 is pretty commonly used up here in the easier 50 mile cross country races with 29 inch wheels. This ratio is especially good if you don't have a lot of really steep and long hills. It works good for moderate single track hills and is pretty good on the flats. For tough tracks with a lot of steep climbing and little gravel or flats I use 28 x 20, but that is pretty spiney on the easier sections. Hardly any single speed riders I have seen use a ratio this low.
I do like the idea of a carbon fiber fork. Because this is a very lightweight bike, even with the steel wheels with 12g spokes. And I like it that way.
It's a little front heavy right now, and a carbon fiber fork would really help balance the bike front to rear. Maybe a disc brake is in the cards down the road.

I just have an 18 freewheel right now. So I'll give it a go with a 42, then move the front down as needed.
When I find what I think works for me, I might upgrade my freewheel.

Last edited:
Got my new bottom bracket in today. Nothin fancy yet. Just want to get it going and figure out what gearing I like.
20190823_191533.jpg

Latest posts

Back