Kona AA 26" BMX Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a window opens up this weekend, I'll do it. Its info that I want to compile for myself, anyway.
Thanks.
@us56456712 has about got me talked into going carbon fiber.
I know you mentioned it early on in the thread.
It's always been in the back of my mind. Lightweight and strong with a little flex.
Who knows, this stuff could be the future of bicycles! They might even use it in race cars and space travel someday:D

Thanks.
@us56456712 has about got me talked into going carbon fiber.
I know you mentioned it early on in the thread.
It's always been in the back of my mind. Lightweight and strong with a little flex.
Who knows, this stuff could be the future of bicycles! They might even use it in race cars and space travel someday:D
I could post a picture of the bike and set up if this would be of any assistance. It also has carbon bars and stem. It has alloy brake levers and160 mm Avid mechanical brakes, which are light and inexpensive.

I could post a picture of the bike and set up if this would be of any assistance. It also has carbon bars and stem. It has alloy brake levers and160 mm Avid mechanical brakes, which are light and inexpensive.
Sure. That would be great!
I'd be very interested in seeing it.

At first I was caught up in the look. But now am more interested in just building a solid, low maintenance, durable bike that can take a little abuse.
The disc brakes make a lot of sense. They work, and easier and cheaper to replace than a rim. And should work better when wet.

Also the wheels that I had initially thought were sealed bearing turned out to be sealed mechanism. My end goal is to have sealed bearings on the whole bike. Never know when it might end up in the lake or creek.
And I would guess that sealed bearing disc wheels are much more common.

Sure. That would be great!
I'd be very interested in seeing it.

At first I was caught up in the look. But now am more interested in just building a solid, low maintenance, durable bike that can take a little abuse.
The disc brakes make a lot of sense. They work, and easier and cheaper to replace than a rim. And should work better when wet.

Also the wheels that I had initially thought were sealed bearing turned out to be sealed mechanism. My end goal is to have sealed bearings on the whole bike. Never know when it might end up in the lake or creek.
And I would guess that sealed bearing disc wheels are much more common.

A sealed square taper BB is cheap enough. I put one in one of my bikes. The cheap original BB kept giving me problems with clicking and I replaced it with a better quality sealed job and it has been good. I found a set of 26 inch Velocity Blunt wheels on eBay. I paid less for the wheels than just the hoops cost. One was not a thru axle but was new enough that it could be converted and I did that. These wheels are on the same bike as the carbon fork. These wheels are almost as light as carbon and were a bargain as 26 inch is considered obsolete so the price can be right. They are sealed. I would look on eBay and not be in a hurry until you find something good. Sometimes there are new ones that shops are trying to dump there. The thru axle would work on a new carbon fork. It's never easy trying to fit newer and older mountain bike technology together but if you are careful and do research it can be done. Sounds like an interesting concept is forming in your mind.

Here is a photo of the rigid carbon fork. Its for a 27.5 wheel but I put 26 + tires on the bike. It's big and bulky looking but very lite. The frame has a tapered headset but I imagine you can find a carbon fork that isn't. I found the best prices on these Chinese carbon parts to be after Christmas. The bike is pretty much all carbon, including the crank. The wheels are alloy, as I mentioned. Even with 3 inch fast rolling lightweight tires on it, it only weighs 22 pounds. It used to be lighter but the carbon seat was too unforgiving and I now have a Stella titanium job on it. I use it several times a week and I ride through loose sand sections like it's not there. It climbs very well because of the weight. I don't care about going fast downhill so it is perfect for me. It has a less steep head angle than modern bikes, which is what I was after, more precise steering with shorter bars. I think a similar front end would make your bike a dream. I have an old Specialized full suspension bike from about 2008 and I have 2.35 tires on it. They just fit.
IMG_1620.JPG

One of my Specialized bikes with 2.35 tires. The outside diameter of the wheel and rims with these Hans Dumpf tires is 27 inches so you get the benefits of a larger rim and still have only a 26 inch rim.
IMG_1621.JPG

A 2002 Specialized that I have modified with mechanical disc brakes, 28 tooth offset (to get the chain line right) narrow wide chain wheel and 50 tooth 9 speed Balony cassette with a road link on the derailleur to get it to go up on the big cog. It works a little sluggishly, you have to hold the shifter down, but it always shifts. Good enough for me as I am not a serious racer and like the 26 inch wheels and older geometry. This bike has 2.3 inch rear tire and a 2.1 front. The tires are what I had laying around. It has one new used rim.
IMG_1626.JPG

Rear wheel with large 9 speed cassette and road link.
IMG_1628.JPG

Clearance on the 2002 with the 2.3 tire. I replaced the rear wheel because it has to be very true to support these big tires. It was a used wheel I got from a local bike shop.
IMG_1627.JPG

I hope this helps. I want to do a similar project as yours, a single speed, using an old rigid frame with a treadless headset and 2.3 tire on the front and 2.1 on the rear. Perhaps a carbon fork with a mechanical disc? I think V brakes are lighter and good enough for racing in the Ore to Shore local race so that is what I would like to build.

I looked at one site that had the 29 on sale, but didn't have a part number listed. Other site said part #9234.
SE doesn't show a 700c model on their site that I could find. Just 26 or 29.
I've gotten the 29" and 24" LG measured...and pulled my 700c fixie out of the vault. PlanetBMX isn't offering 700c LG currently, but they were and stated that they are the same as Big Ripper LG. There are several sites out there (Jenson, Americycle, etc) still advertising the 700c fork as 700c/29R...they are not.

700c PK Ripper...
IMG_20190824_130236124_HDR.jpg

700c LG...
IMG_20190824_130146525.jpg

Big Ripper LG...
IMG_20190824_125914038.jpg

Bummer for me as I wanted to use the take-off ThickSlicks of the Big Ripper for the 700c Ripper. Not even close :doh:.

I've gotten the 29" and 24" LG measured...and pulled my 700c fixie out of the vault. PlanetBMX isn't offering 700c LG currently, but they were and stated that they are the same as Big Ripper LG. There are several sites out there (Jenson, Americycle, etc) still advertising the 700c fork as 700c/29R...they are not.

700c PK Ripper...
View attachment 102198

700c LG...
View attachment 102196

Big Ripper LG...
View attachment 102197

Bummer for me as I wanted to use the take-off ThickSlicks of the Big Ripper for the 700c Ripper. Not even close :doh:.
That's too bad. I guess the 700c would be closer to a 27.5".

I had seen where the Toseek carbon fiber is offered in 26"(385mm), 27.5"(405mm), and 29"(435mm), iirc. Or it could've been the Java.

That's too bad. I guess the 700c would be closer to a 27.5".
Could probably do a 27.5 if 2.0" or less. Here is a 2.1" 29...

IMG_20190824_162920540.jpg

IMG_20190824_163059591.jpg

I think the only possiblity of a 29" on one of these would be a 29"x1.5". Could probably do a tight 26"x2.25".

Here are the A-C for the ones of measured today. Will try and snag my 26" LG tomorrow...maybe a 26" and 29" monocog as well :).

700c LG A-C 405mm
29" LG A-C 435mm
24" LG A-C ~373mm

Yeah, that 700c looks narrow at the top.

The offset is a little left on this rim, but I've got plenty of room for a big tire on the back. This is a 1.95 and there's near a half inch on each side.
20190824_214159.jpg
20190824_214227.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered the Cane Creek 25.4 to 27mm seatpost shim today.
That's the one part that I didn't have that will make this thing a rider.

Need to get a BMX stem on the way today also. Black or polished......
I think black.

Thinkin black for the bars also. Lightweight butted chromoly race bend. But will just use something that I already have until I make a fork purchase...to determine bar height.

A Brooks C19 might be next. Want a comfortable all weather saddle and I don't think the C19 will look too out of place.
Will use my chrome 1" BMX seatpost for now. But will probably want a black one eventually.

I'd like a bunch of carbon fiber stuff. But I'd need to find a frame with an inch or two longer top bar before I would choose not to use a layback seatpost.

Carbon fork is on the back burner right now since all my wheelsets are for rim brakes. But that's the way I want to go. Might just have to buy a caliper brake for the front, if the carbon forks will accept them.

In the meantime, low budget BMX Cruiser stem and bars have been obtained.
20190926_184134.jpg
The bars are off a cheap BMX bike. But I thought the size(26.5 wide and about 7 tall) was something I wanted to try. I'll have to paint them, but the cost was nil.
The stem is a new Black Ops Piston.
Looks pretty nice
20190926_183818.jpg
but the painted on emblem is off-center and will be removed.
20190926_183829.jpg
And a little sharp edge on the inside of the hollow between bars and fork.
20190926_183856.jpg

I was this close to pulling the trigger on a Thomson Elite BMX stem, and then read about a lot of cracked faceplates.
So...I went about as far in the opposite direction with these parts as possible.
Right now, I'm pretty happy with my $20 investment.

I'm thinkin China carbon mountain bike stem and bars might be something I'd like to have for a changeup now and then.

These 26x2.35 Crazy Bob's will end up on one of the bikes three wheelsets.
20190926_191507.jpg
Strange, they don't match exactly. Bought off Amazon at two different times.
The one with the less bright lettering came from a bike shop. Maybe a second?
And the brighter one came from an Amazon warehouse. I might buy another from the Amazon warehouse to match, and put the other on a muscle bike build.

Might get a slightly smaller 2.25? and lighter set of tires for the klunkruiser
20190908_135120.jpg

and setup a second wheelset for the Kona with the 2.4 Rock Hawks. I think I can just squeeze them past the brake bosses.

It's so kind of you to build all of these bikes for me. Just let me know when I can come get them
Come on down from the Great White North Matti!

I'm sure I could hook you up with something.
Maybe the leftovers of this little Hardrock CrMo with a SS street setup using solid rubber tired heavy duty wheelset from a share-a-bike?
20190816_143703.jpg

Latest posts

Back