any shooters in the group??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the username would suggest I don't mind having the occasional shot. Although I am more interested in target shooting as a sport but I still enjoy getting out into the field as well. Before I gave up shooting years ago as a junior (as it was costing me heaps and a 1st year apprentice wages was not great) I had represented Victoria in many State Team events and was even in the Australian development squad for the 2000 Olympics, needless to say that I didn't get there due to giving it away in '94. Recently have come back to it and am enjoying it and even going to Adelaide in a couple of weeks to complete in the Australian Masters Games (I refer to it as a National games for old farts!!).

At Christmas time my partner and I went to New York for a quick trip to spend time with her family as she has been in Aust for 13 years now. Anyhow, sitting around the table after Christmas dinner one of her sister's partner asked me if I want to come out for an afternoon shooting clays and pumpkins off the old piano at 200yds in the field on his family's property. Who was I not to be part of this as we were only in NY for 8 days. This is a photo of her other sister that has never fired a firearm at all but she absolutely loved it and had to pry the guns from her hands!!! Didn't turn out too bad as it was straight from the phone with no editing or anything just right time right place....

Just got another one, I was out at a pawn shop and spotted a Jennings 9mm with an extra clip marked for $100 asked what's the best they could do on it and got $10 bucks off. For $90 I couldn't pass it up, only had like 5 rounds through the barrel.

Here are some of my pistols. Don't shoot them much. My son & I enjoy shooting clays occasionally on saturdays. We have several 12ga shotguns for that. He's pretty good but I am just fair. It's a good stress reliever though.

Just got another one...lol I traded the blazer off for something I have wanted for 10+ years. I used to own one that I had stolen when I moved back from windfall.

Anyway since then I have wanted another Mosin Nagant rifle. I was on Facebook trying to trade the blazer off for another wagon like mine when a guy asked me if I would trade for a rifle with lots of goodies. I asked what kind and a deal was made. The rifle is a 1943 mosin nagant 7.62x54r bolt action russian sniper rifle, tastefully modified with a shortened barrel done professionally, softer trigger, scope mount, scope, modified bolt to clear the scope which is smooth as butter, synthetic stock, new receiver and spring, folding bipod, as well as all the original parts. And on top of that a spam can of Bulgarian 7.62x54r silver tip soft ball ammo.

Blue sky November day on the Pawnee Grassland with a single shot .22.

Good times.

:)

Just put another firearm in layaway. Not for myself though... my wonderful fiance has never shot a gun before so I am taking it upon myself to teach her about gun safety and shooting in general. I really didn't want to start her out on anything that could scare her away from the hobby and make her afraid of guns. I remember when I learned to shoot on a .22 long rifle and I loved it. Right now I only own a cheap 9mm pistol and the mosin nagant 7.62x54r rifle; both of which are kinda scary for a beginner... so I got her something perfect as a Christmas present. A Rugar Charger 10/22 as I know a .22 has zero recoil, it's a cross between a pistol and rifle so it will be an easy transition to either. And for $250 (rural king discount) it's a bargain especially since it comes from the factory with picatinny rail, threaded barrel, bipod, 15 round magazine, carry case, lock, easily swappable AR style grip, synthetic stock, and it's Rugar 10/22 which is a great action. I'm going to also get her a flashlight / lazer sight for it. Once she learns to use it it will be great for home defence as well, 15 round magazine, flashlight and lazer, and no worries of over penetration of the target and hurting bystanders who may be behind your target. I also like the feel of the gun with both hands firmly on the gun and with the bipod you can do a pistol hold and have the weight of it supported and do some target shooting. Win on all angles. Honestly thinking of putting another one in layaway after the holidays for myself.

I did 24 years in the military (USMC, US Army & NATO), a few tours to the bad places. I learned to shoot in the USMC, was a Primary Marksman Instructor, ran tons of ranges and qualified on...M16A2, M60, 45, 9mm, shotgun, Israeli Galil, 50 cal...even LAW's. Carried all the above (cept the 50, vehicle mounted) In the bad places, I carried an MP5, M4, Glock, Baretta, AK 47 and my Fav, an RPK with 100 round rotary clip (weapon of Choice was dependant on mission but the RPK kept everyone back). Not much of a shooter anymore, but I like to teach firearm responsibility to and for shooters......occasionally put a few in the black to show the amatures there's nothing wrong with their weapons :)

Last edited:
Just put another firearm in layaway. Not for myself though... my wonderful fiance has never shot a gun before so I am taking it upon myself to teach her about gun safety and shooting in general. I really didn't want to start her out on anything that could scare her away from the hobby and make her afraid of guns. I remember when I learned to shoot on a .22 long rifle and I loved it. Right now I only own a cheap 9mm pistol and the mosin nagant 7.62x54r rifle; both of which are kinda scary for a beginner... so I got her something perfect as a Christmas present. A Rugar Charger 10/22 as I know a .22 has zero recoil, it's a cross between a pistol and rifle so it will be an easy transition to either. And for $250 (rural king discount) it's a bargain especially since it comes from the factory with picatinny rail, threaded barrel, bipod, 15 round magazine, carry case, lock, easily swappable AR style grip, synthetic stock, and it's Rugar 10/22 which is a great action. I'm going to also get her a flashlight / lazer sight for it. Once she learns to use it it will be great for home defence as well, 15 round magazine, flashlight and lazer, and no worries of over penetration of the target and hurting bystanders who may be behind your target. I also like the feel of the gun with both hands firmly on the gun and with the bipod you can do a pistol hold and have the weight of it supported and do some target shooting. Win on all angles. Honestly thinking of putting another one in layaway after the holidays for myself.

Rugar 10/22 is a great plinking rifle for learning great shooting techniques, inexpensive to shoot, zero kick and quality construction. Inexpensive to own and shoot while having to quality, reliability of a much more expensive weapon. ...great choice for anyone....and it has great accessories avaliable for it.

She loved it! I went ahead and gave the rugar charger to her early and put a second one in layaway for myself identical to hers. Also just picked up a HiPoint .380 on trade and sold my Bryco Jennings (jammings) 9mm... worst gun I've ever owned.

I have a BPS 12 and 20G, 870 12G, 870 slug gun, old Winchester model 70 30.06, 2 pellet guns, a piker compared to most of my buddies as I don't have hand guns. Almost all the guys I know have more guns than I do. One buddy has artillery pieces chained to buried engines in his yard and every picture in his wall has a hand gun hidden behind it as well as guns hidden in the flower arrangements throughout the house. He has an old bank vault in his drive out basement that he got in a demolition that he keeps his arsenal in. He is a builder and a civil engineer. The door is 2 foot thick and had to be moved on an 18 wheeler flat bed. He had a hard time with the combo as there is a law that you can't get the combo from the manufacture. He finally ran down a real old retiree who's job it was to open the safe every morning. He can finally access his basement bank vault gun collection. Several other friends keep so many handguns in their truck, tool boxes and on their person that they can't even tell you how many they are packing. When asked I usually get an answer like "I don't rightly know, lets see, I think 7". Then a half hour later they tell you they have 8 as they forgot the one in the trailer. At deer camp we were all sitting around the table pounding down shots when someone shouted "lets see the guns". Thump, thump. bang, crash. A pile of handguns appeared instantly on the table. They were passed around the table for all the drunks to examine. "Look this one has nice rifling" as he looked down the barrel. I went to bed and hoped there was no discharges. That was something to behold and I admit I was a little frightened.

I have a stainless Taurus 9mm and a Bersa 380. I have had the Taurus for about 14-15 years and the Bersa for maybe 6 years. I also have a Mossberg 12ga sawed-off with a pistol grip. It's an ex-police gun and still has the attachment that locked to the dash. It's cut to 1/8" above the legal limit and is really just in case anybody comes through the door.

Well since getting rid of my Bryco Jammings I needed another sidearm so I got a sweet deal on a nice HiPoint .380. literally had 5 rounds down the pipe since new. Traded a laptop and $20 for it. All in all I have about $100 in it.

Finally got my Rugar Charger 10/22 out of layaway and put 100 rounds through it. Very nice and very accurate, threw the REX optics 3-9x50 scope on it off of my Mosin Nagant and had a blast popping cans and bottles out at a buddy's farm. after about 3 shots dialing in the scope you could plink off anything you wanted just line it up and tap the bang switch. Love it!

Well since the last time I checked in I have upgraded my Rugar 10/22 Charger pistol to a BSA red dot sight, an awesome 25 round clear magazine in addition to the factory 15 round it comes with, Traded the Mosin Nagant back to the guy I got it from for my '92 Blazer back just to help out my nephew, traded the HiPoint .380 for a New England arms 12 gauge, Mainly consolidating some cash so I could afford new tires on my wagon.

I enjoy shooting when I can go. Got a few handguns, and a few rifles. Revolvers mainly, and old .22 rifles. Mostly plinking with my .22 rifles. Cheap fun for a weekend. But I do love my S&W .357 too. Just more expensive to play. I do have a couple shotguns too, and they can be fun. Really need to get out and do some shooting again soon

I have a couple of .22s, including the venerable and omnipresent Ruger 10-22. I've also recently acquired a limited edition rifle produced by SWORD International that I plan on dialing in next week. I've been around firearms since my grandfather taught me how to use them properly when I was ten years old. My stint in the military saw me handling more small arms than I can remember offhand. My mentor when serving was on our service's pistol team and he taught me a lot of fine-tuning to what he said was already an inherent talent I had. I've had several firearms over the years, but bicycles made firearms less of a frequent activity and more of just home/self protection. The .22s are great for staying in tune and one of my favorite places to ride gravel allows me for a start at a free range on public lands. Get my shoot on, then get my ride on.

Any shooters still out there? I just got into clay shooting and picked up a .308 Howa this year.

I pistol shoot at every opportunity I get. Primarily S&W equipment with some specialty Walther sprinkled in to keep things spicy

I've run a few indoor and outdoor competitions. Tried 3 gun once, failed miserably

Latest posts

Back