Top Fool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one wheel spun. It's not perfect, and it's very hard to capture the effect on camera. Now to look to see if I have any candy gold.

PB020628.jpg
PB020629.jpg
PB020630.jpg
PB020632.jpg

I forgot to mention, I had a hard time spacing the turns using the sandpaper/thumb method. I decided to make an arbor based on the design of the one I made for spinning gold leaf.

I cut about a 1" square of scrap MDF, found the center by drawing lines from corner to corner, and drilled and countersunk a hole for a machine screw to fit tightly. Then I roughed into shape with a belt sander, then in a drill press to sanding it round. I cut a piece of red Scotchbrite pad, sprayed contact cement on the pad and arbor. Once that tacked up, I centered the pad onto the arbor, pressed down the face and sides.

This worked great as it scratched the metal deep enough and it's easy to line up the turns.

I replaced the pad 1/2 way through the job.

PB030639.JPG

Some better pics of the rim.

PB030635.jpg
PB030638.jpg

Last edited:
The support for the top/seat tube showed up today. It is a shift rod for a motorcycle. I lucked out on the size of everything, I was worrying if the holes on the rod ends would be large enough, they fit the screws perfectly. Now to make some brackets for it.

The rust on the center of the hub was too much to save. I sanded it with 320 wet, boy was that chrome thin, I was into the copper in no time! After masking the ends, I hit it with Self Etching primer, scuffed and then 3 coats of enamel with a generic hardener. I like the black center better than the chrome.

PB040640.jpg

I ordered some Aztec Gold Candy Concentrate this morning, its already in the mail. With a little luck the front wheel will be done sometime next week.

Last edited:
Third time was a charm. I have 4 left over brackets for something.:crazy2:

PB050645.jpg

Next I think I'm going to extend the lower spring mount. I would like to gain a little more ground clearance.

I like how the rim looks! Are you trying to achieve an (or you already achieved) the look simmilar to those of bar & gastronomical tables?
bolero-stolik-ze-skladanym-blatem-stal-nierdzewna.jpg

The gold candy concentrate showed up today. I mounted the rim with 4 cut down 26" spokes, and nipples. Prepped the rim, gave it two coats of Bulldog, followed by the candy concentrate mixed into Axalta (DuPont) Chromabase that I had my supply house mix with no pigment.

I had an exact match for gold anodize with two coats through my airbrush. I added one more coat for good luck, darkening it a bit. The sheen is perfect right now. I'm not sure if I want a gloss clear or satin.

I'm very happy with how it looks so far.

PB120664.JPG

Last edited:
The gold candy concentrate showed up today. I mounted the rim with 4 cut down 26" spokes, and nipples. Pepped the rim, gave it two coats of Bulldog, followed by the candy concentrate mixed into Axalta (DuPont) Chromabase I had mixed with no pigment.

I had an exact match for gold anodize with two coats through my airbrush. I added one more coat for good luck, darkening it a bit. The sheen is perfect right now. I'm not sure if I want a gloss clear or satin.

I'm very happy with how it looks so far.

View attachment 108950
Kenny Bernstein : The bud king
Would would give you his
approval.

Latest posts

Back