You guys see any problems with this idea?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to upgrade to modern aluminum wheels and a 3-speed hub for this:
image.jpg

With parts pirated off of this:

00-K0-K-3-ENa-Sc-Ba-EXc-1200x900.jpg

I figure I can keep the fenders, bars, crank and maybe the headset off the girls bike. The wheels and tires on it are mint, no rust at all. Is it worth $65?

No problem, done this. I have used Nexus 3 before but your Nexus 3 may need a different axle stabilizer than the one that comes with it but the standard one worked on mine. The Nexus 3 is smooth shifting, easy to adjust and has a very good brake. You can't buy the new parts for $65. I just bought a new girls Cranbrook from Walmart for $71 just for the donor parts. I have done similar things many times. Several years ago I built up this 1938 CWC frame that I used a Walmart bike for a donor for new parts. I used the bars, crank, chain, wheels, tires, rack and kick stand. I had the chain guard, seat, seat post and stem. I bought the grips.
54852_6911cec768f7e3fe54931fb9ea608f5d.jpg

Great deal for a 3-speed set-up, with extras - as long as one does not have to pay a lot for shipping the extra parts not needed.
Sometimes a spare fork may come in handy; sometimes the new vs. old stems are not the same 21mm (13/16) vs. 22mm (7/8).

Last edited:
Sure it looks like a good deal. Your bike is a Schwinn frame and forks, and cranks, everything else doesn't look original, neither is the paint job.
So, the conversion to the alloy wheels with Nexus should be a good thing. Same as yours, I took the wheels off a girl's bike too, with a Nexus also and added them to my old Hawthorne. It worked well and the Nexus is easy to hook up.
For your bike, a 3 piece crank conversion would be good too, it'll look great and be even lighter.

45881420_764730120530892_1802357097048834048_n - Copy.jpg

Sure it looks like a good deal. Your bike is a Schwinn frame and forks, and cranks, everything else doesn't look original, neither is the paint job.
So, the conversion to the alloy wheels with Nexus should be a good thing. Same as yours, I took the wheels off a girl's bike too, with a Nexus also and added them to my old Hawthorne. It worked well and the Nexus is easy to hook up.
For your bike, a 3 piece crank conversion would be good too, it'll look great and be even lighter.

View attachment 110455
Sweet ride .Dare to be different with Campus Green paint .Like it .

Looks good!
Where did you find the flared rear fender? I can't find one anywhere.

I found a place here that powercoats a frame for 80 bucks, Green is now red.

DSCI0019.JPG

No problem, done this. I have used Nexus 3 before but your Nexus 3 may need a different axle stabilizer than the one that comes with it but the standard one worked on mine. The Nexus 3 is smooth shifting, easy to adjust and has a very good brake. You can't buy the new parts for $65. I just bought a new girls Cranbrook from Walmart for $71 just for the donor parts. I have done similar things many times. Several years ago I built up this 1938 CWC frame that I used a Walmart bike for a donor for new parts. I used the bars, crank, chain, wheels, tires, rack and kick stand. I had the chain guard, seat, seat post and stem. I bought the grips.View attachment 110426
Here is what the red bike looked like when I got it, before the Walmart donor bike parts and paint.
0-2.jpeg

So I wanted to upgrade to modern aluminum wheels and a 3-speed hub for this:
image.jpg

With parts pirated off of this:

00-K0-K-3-ENa-Sc-Ba-EXc-1200x900.jpg

I figure I can keep the fenders, bars, crank and maybe the headset off the girls bike. The wheels and tires on it are mint, no rust at all. Is it worth $65?
I hope you decided to use the parts bike on another frame. They gray bike looks good as is. Leave it alone and build another one!

I hope you decided to use the parts bike on another frame. They gray bike looks good as is. Leave it alone and build another one!

Too far gone. If it were a rare bike, I wouldn't change it. It was basically 6 layers of spray paint over rust.

Latest posts

Back