Surly Bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol as a die hard mountain biker, that's as close to drop bars as I think I could get!
Do you find yourself using the other positions on the bar, the taped section in the picture above, or perhaps even the top bar?

Much wider, 710mm, and upright than a drop bar. Due to neck issues, I rarely ride drop bar.

20191231_064958.jpg

I have a bag in the loop, so I taped the top bar which I will use to get a little "aero" in a headwind. The grip's size allow a couple positions to give a change on a long ride.

Lol as a die hard mountain biker, that's as close to drop bars as I think I could get!
Do you find yourself using the other positions on the bar, the taped section in the picture above, or perhaps even the top bar?

i use the extended grips a lot. The widest position is like riding without hands (but with hands?). Your hands are unweighted but you still have control. The ECR doesn't quite get the bars high enough for me compared to say the full jones bike. I have the loop taped on that one but never really grip it. Nice for leaning on though.

i dont think theres much difference between the Ogre and the ECR, mostly racks mounts and stuff? They both take a really big tire? Wider is better :)

The ECR has a bit more tire clearance (29x2.5 on the Orge, 29x3 on ECR) and the ECR is a bit beefier. The ECR is rated by Surly for Condition 3 per their frame spec sheet whereas the Orge is condition 2.

Not for me. Adding weight to the steering is a no no. It'd be like stuffing your laundry in the rims of your Corvette.
But bottle cages all over the place would be kinda funny.

Not for me. Adding weight to the steering is a no no. It'd be like stuffing your laundry in the rims of your Corvette.
But bottle cages all over the place would be kinda funny.

Always the right tool for the job; covering hundreds of miles in the desert with 2 and 3 days between resupply you gotta be able to carry the necessary water and gear.

In other words, you're not driving the Vette when the trail requires a Jeep.

Latest posts

Back