CCM FLYTE 2020’s build… “The Flyte of Fancy”

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This going to a long road people.... I don't rush anything and I have other stuff going on and I am always broke, so strap in for the ride!
Here is the outline of my latest creation......

The concept is to use an original 1940 CCM Flyte frame & replica curved fork as the base to build a modernised, sleek, clean, usable, comfortable custom roadster.
Complete with disc brakes, belt drive, 7 speed rear hub, hidden cables & full thin painted fenders. Using quality, highly polished aluminium components, no carbon fibre & little or no chrome & plastic. Using no genuine CCM parts other than the frame.

So that's the basic flexible outline. First lets define "Flight of Fancy"..... here are some definitions from online dictionaries....

"an idea, narrative, suggestion, etc., which is extremely imaginative and which appears to be entirely unrealistic, or impractical; thinking which is very speculative."

"an idea that shows a lot of imagination but is not practical"

"an idea which shows a lot of imagination but which is not practical or useful in real situations."

"an imaginative idea or plan that is pleasant to think about but not at all practical"

So I think I fit in quite well there..... right on the money. :)

I already have three CCM Flyte bikes. One is being built as a mans bike all original apart from the colours. The second is getting build like a racer. The third I am making a ladies version that the factory never built. I have build threads on the last two over at the CABE but I think this new "CCM Flyte 2020's" build thread would be better here. I might get lynched over there by a respectable mob of CCM owners!! :)

Plus I think there might be some good outside the box thinking going on over here that might well help this custom build and concept develop.

Lets get after it! :)

p frame DSC00512.JPG
p fork DSC00804.JPG
Here is the frame and fork. The frame is 1940 and the fork is a replica that someone has built... with the stem angle WAY off... so that will need some serious work to get it to work.

Last edited:
image5.jpg
PA150134.jpg
fl 36 CCM_Flyte_82.jpg
cf9361bf57d66af405731b8103744d2a (1).jpg
Cool.:cool2: I like the sound of it!

My first thought was how do you plan to thread a belt through the frame?

Thanks and yes good question.
I see various solutions, some better than others and I am sure other will have even better ideas I have not thought of.....

1. Get the belt kit that has the split belt.... but that's expensive and not so easy to get cheap belts, and if that company goes out of business then no more belts.

2. Cut the bottom tube and make a connector.... a lot of twisting force on that joint and unsightly.

3. Cut the top tube up by the fender mount and make a connector.... would work but look unsightly.

4. Best option I have at the moment is to make a "doubler" system across the area where the wheel bolts in..... (long thin quite weak area on the Flyte frame) two long parts put together with hidden bolts coming into the joins from the wheel side of the frame. Using the points were the lugs join the tubes to mask the ends of the joint. I can do all the engineering work myself so it's a zero cost mod.

Photos of the area in hand!
(Bottom two are not my bikes)

Last edited:
ccm faae96562a882f3e8e535cc3e13c38f5.jpg
ccm DSC01759.JPG
This is other bikes not my frame and forks.... but this is what I will be starting with to give you guys and idea.

Last edited:
As a Canadian boy, I have an attraction to CCMs. In my day, they were utilitarian, solid, well built, decent components, but nothing fancy. These deco frames are another story entirely!

Thanks and yes good question.
Best option I have at the moment is to make a "doubler" system across the area where the wheel bolts in..... (long thin quite weak area on the Flyte frame) two long parts put together with hidden bolts coming into the joins from the wheel side of the frame. Using the points were the lugs join the tubes to mask the ends of the joint. I can do all the engineering work myself so it's a zero cost mod.
Sounds like the best solution.

(P.S. When you upload your pics, click on the 'Full Image' button to insert it into your text.)

Sounds like the best solution.
(P.S. When you upload your pics, click on the 'Full Image' button to insert it into your text.)

Unless someone comes up with something better I think that will be it.
Thanks for the tip on the photos!! I went back and edited the posts to have the full images!! :)

Just discovering electronic shifting rear hubs! Learning all the time...
One less cable to hide, just wires which are easy to hide inside the frame and a couple of hidden (modified) buttons rather than a lever... SHIMANO ALFINE DI2 8 speed and 11. 8 would be enough I would think.... My bars would look quite clean with just two reverse levers for the cable operated disc brakes with internal cables.

Thinking now to keep a really clean look, to go for the Shimano Nexus 8 speed with the coaster brake.... one less hand lever and one less cable to hide. I can still run the belt drive on that.
Maybe a larger disc on the front for the look... friend suggested doing a double disc front end which might look the part, but total over kill.

Latest posts

Back