26 MTB to gravel bike conversion to town bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They didn't exist in the eighties. I wanted them to
Are you talking about gravel bikes? They had gravel bikes that were made for the exact same purpose as today's ones since the 40s. They were invented in France. They were invented for people who wanted a road bike, but wanted to be comfortable on gravel roads and cobbles.
fda.jpg

No, I'm not a fan of drop bars. When I was a kid, I wanted a big burly single speed with all terrain tires. Much like the bike I made the comment about.

No, I'm not a fan of drop bars. When I was a kid, I wanted a big burly single speed with all terrain tires. Much like the bike I made the comment about.
I got a used MTB as a kid that someone made a cheap SS conversion on. It had HUGE tire for the time. Block tread downhill knobbies on a rigid.

Are you talking about gravel bikes? They had gravel bikes that were made for the exact same purpose as today's ones since the 40s. They were invented in France. They were invented for people who wanted a road bike, but wanted to be comfortable on gravel roads and cobbles.
View attachment 113678
Looks like 650 b rims?

20200322_112820[1].jpg

Some more changes. Fitting a 34t chain ring to fix chain tension and make it a little faster. Made the cords neater on bags. Fitted an Soma extra long quill stem adapter to get bars up higher and a short 35mm stem. This has made the bike fit exactly where I want it. Super comfortable and easy to get into the drops.

Honestly I don't think this is bike is going to stay a dropbar gravel bike long term. I want something that has more mounts to carry bikepacking stuff, has disc brakes and a much higher stack height. That quill stem adaptor looks dumb as heck. But it has shown me a lot about what geometry I want to look for in a gravel bike. This bike is probably going to become a city bike with a cheap 1x8 setup, Fairdale MX handlebars and an oldschool BMX quill stem. I am probably going to end up doing two gravel bikes, one will be a modern setup with gears (maybe with some retro parts thrown on for some old school cool) and an old touring bike converted to 650b to be a single speed gravel bike with hopefully lots of NOS and retro goodness.

Yeah that stem is too much. Way too much. The way I see it, if the stem is that much longer than the drops, you want flat bars. Or risers. Still like the bike, can't wait to see it's next incarnation.

Steel is real.

Ok so starting the transformation to town bike. Ordered a Sunrace 11-40 8 speed cassette, an old XT 8 speed derailleur, a cheap hanger extender and a Paul Component Thumbie. I have an Ultegra 8-speed bar end shifter I am going to use until I swap away from dropbars (after I get a gravel bike). Added two Velo Orange Mojave bottle cages that can fit Nalgene bottles or more importantly small beer growlers.

Attachments

• 20200410_180833[1].jpg
    20200410_180833[1].jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 145
Starting to swap this over flat bar with a On One OG V2 bar, Sunrace 11-40 8 speed cassette, Ultegra 8-speed bar end shifter, Paul Component thumbie and old XT 8 speed derauiller. But of course the Mavic wheels are a weird freehub length and I figured out I need a certain spacer for the cassette. Waiting on some cheap used Avid levers from ebay to get in.

Also want to get a Wald 137 basket for the front.

Attachments

• 20200625_091729[1].jpg
    20200625_091729[1].jpg
    386 KB · Views: 126
Finally got everything sorted after having to get spacers to adjust the chainring to get the chainline to where it works.
1596555926_20200729_182102_mmthumb.jpg

Only plans are throwing some S&M 101 BMX pedals on it (cause I am putting the Nukeproof pedals on another bike) and faster rolling tires. Otherwise put a fork in it this one is done.

So I said I was done. I lied a lot apparently.

The seatpost has had almost constant sliding or creaking issue so I bought a 25.4 Kalloy Uno seatpost and a number of shims. Found out it was 26.4mm rather then 26.2mm.
I was happy with my chainline fix so on went a Paul Component chainkeeper.
Wasn't happy with bars so on went a set of Velo Orange Klunker bars.
Swapped the DMR Moto tires 26x2.35in (with thick freeride tubes) out for Maxxis DTH 26x2.15 with regular tubes. For a bit faster rolling and lighter. Also the rear rubbed a little and I wanted to run the tires on another project.
Added a PDW basket light mount for night running.

20210124_101500.jpg

20210124_101509.jpg

Also I have a Carver 1in threadless fork, IRD 1in threadless headset and Surly 8 Pack rack. I am also not happy with the S&M BMX pedals so I am going to find something else.

Those velo orange bars have been on my radar, trying to choose between them and the tourist. Have you done long distance on them yet?

Those velo orange bars have been on my radar, trying to choose between them and the tourist. Have you done long distance on them yet?
20ish miles is the most I have done. I have found them comfortable. I wouldn't doing anything overly technical. Getting the roll of the bar right was pretty important for me. I think I had them rolled back a few degrees to much at first and it bothered my wrist.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

If you find a set can you let me know?
They are sold out on VO’s site, Amazon and eBay.

Kinda PO’d at myself for not grabbing a set last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you find a set can you let me know?
They are sold out on VO’s site, Amazon and eBay.

Kinda PO’d at myself for not grabbing a set last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure thing!

Which one are you hunting for, Klunker, or Tourist?

Edit: lol never mind. There's a ton of the tourist bars available. Klunking is hot

Continued evolution of this bike.
20210607_194855.jpg

20210607_194834.jpg

Swapped to a Carver 1in threadless fork with IRD headset, a random eBay found 1in BMX stem, S&M Husky bars and a Surly 8 pack rack. This setup is freaking perfect. It wants to hop off everything. But the stem is missing a bolt so the handle bars want to rotate. So just put in an order for some hollow Mission BMX stem bolts. Also the grips have gone a bit sticky so I will try to get rid of that but if it doesn't work out new grips. I don't there will be too many more updates on this one.

Lol the Ragley doesn't have enough travel for the gravel ways?

You may be right about the Schwinn being made in America. I've read that the factory was in Alabama. Check the dropouts and bottom bracket shell for a serial number (which will date the frame), and the headbadge for a 4-digit number (which will indicate the date of assembly. It's probably 90-92 ish.
Hand brazed, with drizzled silver paint, guaranteed to be unique!
http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1990/MTB_And_Road/High_Plains_Woodlands.html
Wow I just got one of these yesterday. I almost passed on it until I noticed the lugged frame. I didn’t know that Schwinn was ever affiliated with any facilities in ‘Bama…didn’t mean to bump an old thread. I just came through here due to research

Latest posts

Back