Extrastahlohr Titanus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1813.JPG

I ran into a snag. The BB has grit in it as I can hear it when I turn the spindle. This grit was loosened when I adjusted the seat post. I thought I got all the blasting sand out but I missed some. I plan to disassemble it and flush it out in the snow using hot water in a tea kettle. This thing has been a fight.

I've been monkeying for a month trying to get the chain line right. Five Italian cottered spindles 3 Italian BB cups and 4 three arm cranks. The three arm cranks can have the mounts for the chain ring on the inside or outside of the arms and I have tried both, along with different spindles. The chain ring either rubs on the frame or is too far away and the chain line causes noise. Cottered Italian bb are a little rare and no one that sells them states the offset, they probably don't know it. I have moved the drive side cup out until the chainring clears and the chain line looks OK. I have ordered two Italian threaded bb spaces and I'll see if that works, or perhaps I'll have to order a different one. It's been single digits in the AM and PM for several days and upper teens and low twenties so it's been too cold to work outside so I'm using my bed for a work table.
DSCN0302.JPG

One of the 3 legs on my crank is slightly bent so I had to order another one from Slovenia. I may not fit the spindle, no way of telling until it gets here. So far on this build I have run into 3 different cottered crank spindle diameters. These diameters, as well as the off set is never listed when purchasing as on one seems to know much about these cranks. The chain moves around on the chainwheel teeth so it is noisy as the chain line goes from good to bad. I may have to try and straighten the arm. Baby steps.

If you have a compressor maybe try blowing thru frame with that.
I have compressor but we have so much snow that I have all my summer toys around it and it would be a big pain in the neck to put everything in the snow to get at it. It looks like flushing it out in the snowbank with boiling water did the trick.

15827410259491881213435.jpg
1582741426023-538777155.jpg
15827413499541320963185.jpg
1582740587969-1167941682.jpg
1582740777007-703703986.jpg

It's getting there. Vintage Campy track hubs, Campy skip tooth track cog, bran new skip tooth block chain, 1930s - 40s track pedals, vintage TA track chainring, Legano cottered crank, vintage track bars, slider stem, track seat brace, Panaracer Gracel King slicks, wood rims, new decals and Brooks seat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back