Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the new tires mounted this evening. They seem like nice ones. Once they were mounted I spent some time truing the wheels. Bike rolls pretty good now. Just need a pair of grips, a few adjustments, and it'll be done.
81804e2b60d1040d639de634714fdc97.jpg
02db8b0db7419b7978e4a51f7af15bb3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Digging those fenders! Nice scallop detail on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the first scuff on the Donkey.
IMG_20200319_130253207.jpg
Might still need some smoothing out on the stays where I removed the brake bosses. Still too cold to paint. Next, the fork and bars, and a set of bar ends too. We'll see where everything ends up

I'll be using 4" tubes in 3" tires hoping the extra rubber will be thick enough to prevent flats ? What's a little more weight on this beast anyway ?

You can use a 650b or what they are calling 27.5 tube in a 26 inch, 27.5 or 29 inch mountain bike or fat bike tire. On group rides we take along a 27.5 tube as it works for all, except the problem with different valve stem types. I think a 4 inch tube in 3 inch tire would be OK. If it doesn’t work it would be nice to know.

Last edited:
You can use a 650b or what they are calling 27.5 tube in a 26 inch, 27.5 or 29 inch mountain bike or fat bike tire. On group rides we take along a 27.5 tube as it works far all, except the problem with different valve stem types. I think a 4 inch tube in 3 inch tire would be OK. If it doesn’t work it would be nice to know.
Thanks US , I'm shooting from the hip hear so your advice is very much appreciated .

I went for a 23 mile ride on “Holey Spokes” today. There was freezing rain in a lot of areas near here so I went before it started. It started sprinkling just a few blocks before I finished. The bike works very well, smooth and quiet. I’m still trying to find a solution to keeping the cooler on the front rack. I feel like it is mechanically dialed in perfect, true wheels, etc. it’s great, I don’t have to hose off the salt cause the bike is going into the dumpster. All I do, after a ride, is spray WD 40 bicycle chain lube on the chain and canti brake springs.

I realized between the colorflow fenders and the elgin frame most of my bike was from Sears, So for my wheelset I chose one from the other out of business department store, Montgomery Wards. I expect to be riding this saturday which will give me ten days to modify the chainguard to fit, and build and mount the fenders.
bQM6Vq1.jpg

Gv6ecdi.jpg

This great paperweight came out of the same crawlspace as my chainguard and headlight.
dLebui6.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful afternoon today, around 80°F. Due to the Corona scare, I am working from home so no hour commute home. Got out my ratty Monark and started swapping out the wheels for some aluminum wheels with a Nexus 3 speed. Oddly, the rims had no rim strips on them, so I put on some bright red ones I got from Amazon. The 26x2.00 tires I had on my Spaceliner barely fit under the fenders, but with some adjustments they roll just fine.
20f64f381137df2e59b84eb67d39d1b0.jpg
4b2679548437dffee21dabb5e63724d6.jpg
4a517fa4f22ede8ef3c933cc7d21f923.jpg

I’m running out of time to finish my second bike, “Frankengravel”. I was planning on perhaps finishing assembly today. About two hours ago I was awakened by a storm that came up. Thirty five mph winds, with gusts over 50, snow like crazy and the house is roaring from the wind. I’m not getting the bike and parts out of the shop to bring inside in this weather. A few days either side of St. Patrick’s day we almost always have a storm. It’s called the great St. Patrick’s day storm. Everyone braces and looks forward to it as it typically the last big storm of winter.

Last edited:
I realized between the colorflow fenders and the elgin frame most of my bike was from Sears, So for my wheelset I chose one from the other out of business department store, Montgomery Wards. I expect to be riding this saturday which will give me ten days to modify the chainguard to fit, and build and mount the fenders.
bQM6Vq1.jpg

Gv6ecdi.jpg

This great paperweight came out of the same crawlspace as my chainguard and headlight.
dLebui6.jpg
Pretty good pedal to use for a paperweight.

@handyandy1100 that tire fills the fender up good!
Thanks. Yes the fenders are fully filled. Had to do some body work on the front fender. A small dent needed pounded out for clearance!

So I will get plenty of time to finish "Get2Da Chopper" since Illinois is starting a stay home order tomorrow. I've got a couple guitars to work on, Netflix and I bought paint for the kitchen remodel at my other house. But this build is back o track.

Carl.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

85°F this afternoon so quit work about 4 pm and got the Monark out to play.
Had to break out the right angle grinder and do some trimming on the old gooseneck I'm using for a seat post. The mattress seat I bought for this bike wouldn't work with this post so I pulled the seat off the Crimson Haybailer and will put the mattress seat on it.
I remembered I had bought a red and chrome chain over the winter for this bike, and believe it or not I was able to lay my hand right on it today! So I swapped it for the one I put on it last summer. Also swapped out the pedals too.
Then I got into an inventive mood and thought I would try making a thumb lever for the shifter. Seems to work okay.
d0a301e107fcf84dff70ac7949da2455.jpg
131305c20dcf6fb03b1603fb8e0e00ad.jpg
58f0c955c969789e59fe6b2a7d954c70.jpg
c68e38898cc4596222b398c95bf31162.jpg

Thanks Andy I'm in with this little rocket I pulled off
the scrap pile, yep she was a throw out cost zippo!
Check out those apes, man your fingers would be
getting frost bite with them up that high in the sky!
"One person's trash another treasure,"

49654189237_f4246e9499_c.jpg

Planing on keeping her quick and simple hopefully a
one day build. As is my thing at the moment the whole
thing is coming down lower, few parts I plan to use in
the picture above.

49681437591_e4a7366e0a_c.jpg

Done, calling her the One-Day-Wonder as she was done in a
day, bars, banana seat with sissy bar, front fender greased
the bearings and she's done. Nice to ride even without the
chain oiled, may add front brakes, see how I feel before the
deadline. Got the motor scooter done as well ready for road