here goes nothin'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have been putting this off for a while, and I guess being cooped up in the house is a perfect time to attack it. This red band kickback shifts fine but squeals HORRIBLY on braking, and so, armed with what I think (hope) is a good set of directions, I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding it. Wish me luck.
20200320_093357.jpg
20200320_093405.jpg
20200320_094001.jpg

SUCCESS! Works like a champ now. To be fair, I didnt tear down all the subassemblies since it was shifting fine and it still had viable grease in it; I just cleaned and regreased the brake side and added grease everywhere else. I figured if it ain't broke, why mess with something known to be finicky.

And then I addressed the other issue my son brought up when he tried riding it yesterday: the seat was like sitting on a piece of 2x4. Standing on its edge, that is. So I trotted out this thing again. Whether it looks good is open to debate, but it sure is comfy!
20200320_115811.jpg

I didn't even know that handbook existed...but I have it now.

Yeah, I downloaded this last year when I first started thinking about rebuilding it. It was REALLY well written, and it's cool the way the disassembly directions go down the left side of the page and then assembly goes up the right side.

What can you tell me about that frame? Straight tube Tornado? Looks like a Heavy Duti! I like it

oops. I have misled you.

I faked the Tornado graphics. This was originally a Schwinn Deliveri, which, as @sandman surmised, is the same frame as a Heavy Duti.

This here is the build thread where you can see the original graphics, and this is the Reader's Digest version I put in the 26" BMX Cruiser forum.

Looks familiar ? Look like the same frame as chucks SHD ?

As a matter of fact, I even got this frame from @ind-chuckz !

Congrats on the semi-rebuild, I have never been that brave.

Awesome looking bike BTW, the new seat looks comfy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Just took it for a spin, pretty excited about the 2-speed. But that seat...

I REALLY want to like it. It's really comfortable, and I think it looks good... till I actually put it on a bike, then it just uglifies it. I just took it off and swapped it for this one, which is kinda boring i guess but seems to work better with the rest of the bike.
20200321_172730.jpg

And so now I'm rethinking the bars...

Edit: it's funny, I keep thinking of your Schwummit Strandie for inspiration since the frames are pretty similar. Don't you have a brown seat and grips?

Yep, had a honey colored Bell ‘cruiser’ seat on it, put a Brooks B67 on it a couple months ago (running different bars and a chrome stubby rear fender too). Wide rims with a SRAM Automatrix coaster brake rear and a Shimano high flange front hubset are in the works.
562787e3b75969dd2059b7a3370852d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back