Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish we could start the build off April 1 and end July or August 30th this would give people something to do and keep their mind off of the issues that most of us are dealing with while they are social distancing.
I suspect when the pandemic is over. People may want to or have to do other things then.
I'd agree with this being a great time for projects, but also I don't think I could source parts right now, my tire supplier is in a locked down area, all swap meets near me are cancelled and all my usual bike stores and antique stores are shuttered.

Last edited:
We are about to wrap up the unofficial March Madness build off on the 31st. Maybe we need an unofficial April build off for those who can't wait for May Day?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It would be great to have an early start of the build off due to the circumstances. It might even be a good idea to open up the rules a little to allow unfinished builds to be completed in BO15.

I'd agree with this being a great time for projects, but also I don't think I could source parts right now, my tire supplier is in a locked down area, all swap meets near me are cancelled and all my usual bike stores and antique stores are shuttered.
I understand what your saying . You may not be able to source parts from Swap meets or bike shops any time soon even after May 1 . Hopefully some of the people here can help you find what you need . I have piles of nice tires just depends on what you need . I’m in Massachusetts so shipping would add up . Hopefully someone closer may be better suited to help you out.

I have a parts pile in isolation at the Undisclosed Location watched. Can't get to it. A rebuild project or two in there as well, plus another on lockdown at my parents place. And parts waiting on the other side of the border. Is call it snafu, but this ain't situation normal

As an airline pilot, it's looking like I will have plenty of free time coming up... so I'll likely participate. Just moved, so it'll be some kind of resto-mod of a frame I have or maybe source one from here, and a pile of still unpacked parts. Looking forward to some virtual socialization! ;)

Please make the Start date April 1 it’s really needed this year for so many reasons. And the End Date August 1 or Sept 1. With so many swaps being canceled and postponed . The people that have their parts can have somthing to do . The people that need parts can have more time to source them . Also let people with unfinished bikes from past builds enter those bikes if they can complete them. That will help more people enter that may not have been able to otherwise.

Last edited:
May start date please (or at least the 15th, tomorrow is a little too soon). BUT I have a honey hole or two and if we put an effort into the wanted forum here, many parts folks are looking for could be sourced. Sulky tires? I doubt it but I've got a stack of MTB tires and a grinder. There's threads here about making slicks... What I'm getting at is we have resources here many don't use. We could do this as a community instead of a bunch of loners.

Carl.

TIME OUT:

Hey, how's about you guys scooting over to the Unofficial March Shootout II VOTE HERE thread and show the guys who worked hard on there bikes a little love? There's also a common thread where we all posted our progress HERE. Voting will be up for a week and started today.

Carl.

TIME IN:

Are motorized bicycles allowed?
just putting this out there
u5QhWBB.jpg

Last edited:
Last year's rules...

Build Off Rules
  • Cannot have started build before May 1st, 2019.
  • You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
  • Start a new thread in the forum’s Build Off 14 section and use the bike name as the post “Subject/Title.” Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
  • Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
  • Bike must be rideable and pedal powered.
  • Finished bike photos must be posted in the “Finished Bikes” thread by 9:00 p.m. CT on Monday, September 9th, 2019.
  • Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
  • Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.
This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

Class 1: Traditional Builds

58545_afe6a4100eecd061ad05b8c0b5744d3b-1024x768.jpg

This class is for builds using a factory manufactured frame and forks. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that you’re frame modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

Class 2: Anything Goes

58518_15a785f6d88356a8fa6c348592f46866-1024x744.jpg

This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames…feel free to go crazy!

Here are the rules for RRB Build Off #14.

Class 1: Traditional Builds

This class is for builds using a factory manufactured frame and forks. Very minor modifications are acceptable like adding brackets, grinding off tabs, etc. This is more of an old school build category created for folks who may not have pro level fab and welding skills. If it appears that your frame modifications are too extensive you may be asked to move to Class 2.

Class 2: Anything Goes
This class has no restrictions on frames and forks. Can be completely fabricated from scratch or heavily modified factory frames...feel free to go crazy!

1. Cannot have started build before May 1st, 2019.
2. You can only enter one bike per class in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
3. Start a new post and use the bike name as the post "Subject/Title." Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
4. Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
5. Bike must be ride able and pedal powered.
6. Finished bike photos must be posted in the "Finished Bikes" thread by 9:00 p.m. CT on Monday, September 9th, 2019.
8. Any questions about the build off must be submitted in the discussion section.
9. Please be courteous to others and do not fill their build journals with off-topic posts. If it continues after a moderator warning, your account will be nuked.

This whole competition is all in good fun. The whole point is to be creative, build something cool and have fun!

copied from page 11 of last years BUILD OFF 14 DISCUSSION
Just a little easier to see without the pics... CJ.

Last edited:
So last years rules were good. I don't think there were any bikes entered in the wrong category... I know I had fun with both of my builds, even Merle got involved. I really enjoyed coming up with all the crazy scenarios for Tom Slick to get into. It'll be hard for me to top that thread. But I've at least got a build in mind... I think it's time to build a Spaceliner, I've got an almost complete one.

Carl.

I've been trying to think of ways we could help with some of the limitations or stir craziness of quarantine.

Possibly remove the limit of one build per person for people with too much time on their hands over the 4 month period.

Then, maybe allow people to even start with unfinished builds. That might help people that are strapped with what they have on hand.

Any other ideas around making this Rona build off more flexible for the circumstances?

I've been trying to think of ways we could help with some of the limitations or stir craziness of quarantine.

Possibly remove the limit of one build per person for people with too much time on their hands over the 4 month period.

Then, maybe allow people to even start with unfinished builds. That might help people that are strapped with what they have on hand.

Any other ideas around making this Rona build off more flexible for the circumstances?
I do like the idea of rebuilding a previous build or finishing an unfinished build. I think that all hinges on your interpretation of the "cannot have started before" part of rule 1. The one I had in mind was built 3 or 4 yrs ago and the first thing I'd do is tear it all the way down. Now if a guy goes that route I don't suppose it matters if it was built before or not as it's getting torn down again. You know 4 months to build, so tear it all down and at least grease everything. The other rules tho, I still like 1 entry per class. Puts all your effort into that build.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back