Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you more concerned with how it looks while in the up position, or when deployed. Could be completely different design parameters depending on what you want. When up near the stays, you will need to see how all the angles match the frame angles.
I want it to look good up down and halfway in between!! Yes speaking of angles matching.... The nearest thing to match to or compliment will be the supports for the rear fender.... Might have to design the stays and stand together to balance the look and scale..... Thanks, got me thinking. :)

You have the deco vibe going well.
I thought I knew about Art Deco before this but I have learned a lot about it while looking at designs, reading and watching you tube clips. I am sticking to the 1920's geometric style of Art Deco on this bike as opposed to the 1930's Streamline Modern style with sweeping curves. I love both styles but they are quite different but still under the umbrella of what people think of as Art Deco. I am not such a fan of the earlier art Nouveau style with its nature themes natural curves and flowers.... All interesting.

Art Nouveau is hit or miss for me.

I quit like Art Nouveau illustration. But less so with architecture and decor. Too... chunky

A message for John in Portugal about the seat, please message me at [email protected] thanks :)

Last edited:
Anyone know who made this bell and when??? I might HAVE to get one.....
bell image.jpeg

On the bell front I have decided to buy one of these bells that are mounted vertically (ideal for my bike with little handle bar room) and I will make two new Art Deco "bells" for it from brass and have them chromed. I have ordered a few from China...

Attachments

• bell getimage_new.jpg
    bell getimage_new.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 60
  • bell s-l1600.jpg
    bell s-l1600.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 76
The laminating of the chain guard and fenders has been going well....
First picture is the front fender in the former.... then out of the former and cleaned up with the grinder to get the resin off. Ready to machine to shape.
P1070913.JPG
P1070914.JPG
P1070916.JPG
P1070929.JPG
P1070929.JPG
P1070937.JPG

And here is the rear fender in the former.... much longer than the front at 1.3 meters. It will come out of the former tomorrow and get cleaned up then both fenders will be ready for shaping. Last shot is the chain guard cleaned up ready to machine to shape. When I say shaping I will get them to be perfect parallel sided things then mark out the shapes I want. I am going to do a 5 sided shape as looked at from the back.
P1070934.JPG
P1070938.JPG

I have had these pedals for a while and I think they might suit this project! Might do wooden bits to replace the rubbers...
P1070926.JPG
P1070927.JPG
P1070928.JPG

And this is the seat I hope to be able to get for the bike.... it's HUGE at about 430mm long that's about 17 inches!! Very long seat for a very long bike.... replica of a Brooks B80 I think.
seat p 3c0e6463-9de1-11ea-94aa-ffa98f2991bd.jpg

Thinking about making my own pedals as a triangle of wood with art deco end cap and chrome quarter round stips on it.... like this but wood and better...
ped monitor.jpg

Last edited:
I have had these pedals for a while and I think they might suit this project! Might do wooden bits to replace the rubbers...View attachment 123429View attachment 123430View attachment 123431
Oi! Thats my idea for the build off!

:grin:
Awesome job! Love how the wooden fenders are shaping up. And that huge saddle :eek: beautiful with old dirty leather!

The cheap new pedals of this type have bad bearing races I found out, so I'm currently milling new tubes. You can still use the plates.
Can't wait for more of this.

Making some 5 inch wooden and leather grips for the bike and I decided to use laminated oak to carry the same theme over the bike. First shot is the stacks of wood cut and thicknessed to size, I cut all the wood from a area next to a knot so I got some nice grain and alinged them so the nice grain were all at the outer end of the grips. Then glued together with epoxy resin and glue powder.... and clamped up for the night. Then with the gold leather I will use on the grips... then partly machined to a rectangle.. and turning round in the lathe... then when I drilled the 22mm blind hole in the grips I found out the HARD WAY that the heat from the drill can soften the resin!!! Two laminates seperated and I had to re glue them and clamp them again... I didn't photograph my cockup! :)
P1070939.JPG
P1070941.JPG
P1070949.JPG
P1070955.JPG
P1070968.JPG

Last edited:
I am going ahead with my triangle pedals! First photo is the stack of oak laminated with the clamps off. Next shot is one face planned flat, getting it a uniform rectangle block. Then a scale drawing to work out the size to cut the wood. It does not have points but chrome brass quarter round trims on the three corners. Bits cut to size next... then marked for cutting which will be tomorrow....
P1070951.JPG
P1070957.JPG
P1070960.JPG
P1070962.JPG
P1070966.JPG
P1070967.JPG

Anyone got some cleaver outside the box Art Deco way of holding a 9 inch chrome pump behind the seat tube?? I am thinking and looking at ways it's been done, but coming up with nothing interesting yet....
pump one.jpg

WOW!!! I totally missed this build going on.
That was a ton of awesomeness to take in on one viewing!!!!
This thing is magnificent in every way possible. Totally blown away right now!

Latest posts

Back