The anti-klunk? (Show us your urban bombers!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm calling the Kona Motard finished.

tardfina.jpg

I like a cruiser and apes as much as any of us, but I also need something that can be ridden hard and fast and deal with some big hits. This thing is close to my favourite rider now. It hammers.

It started life as a 2003 26" Kona La'nai 24spd MTB.

It's just had new Shimano Rapid fire shifters, new braided cables with teflon inners, new grips, new floating front disc, new Shimano Alivio back brake with longer arms to clear the tyres, new Tektro 2-finger brake levers, carbon stem clamp, new lighting, hex skewers and a mechanical dropper seat post added.

It's also got a Halo Combat wheelset with Hookworms, Rockshox forks, Brooks imperial, Cult BMX Bars and Stem and Bupgraded Pedals.

It's set up for a 6'5" guy - but I like its BMX style stance as well.

I'll drop this here, a thread started years ago on MTBR about classic mountain bikes as utilitarian run-abouts. What makes the "Blue Collar Classics" thread super interesting is that the OP, user name RepackRider, is klunker/ mountain bike pioneer (and historian) Charlie Kelly. The first post...

"I have a bike collection, but I'm not a collector. I just hang onto most of my bikes, and I started riding a long time ago.

You guys would hate me for my Ritchey P-21. Once one of the coolest MTBs you could have, I got it in 1994 when my 1987 American Breezer was stolen.

It is now my town bike, and the paint and frame are battered. The wheels and tires are mismatched, and the saddle is worn out. The remains of a broken pump clip are still under the bottle cage screws.

It's a town bike.

Ritchey_P21_01.jpg

As I make my daily journey, I see bikes that the people on this forum would give a lot to own and restore, but to their owners they are just the bike, representing basic transportation, not collectible treasures. So I take photos when I can, and after starting this thread with my own bike, I'll add a few others I have run across. "

The link...

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/blue-collar-classics-533958-13.html

Lovely piece, but if it is possible, I'd run it upside down for a little bit of rise. It'd line up with the top tube nicely. Looks only, I assume that it fits you properly upside right.

Funny - I actually prefer the look of it like this. Long, low, and fast.
Also, on a mountainbike I prefer to have the bars as low as possible. That semi-upright riding position you get with taller bars doesn't sit well with my back and shoulders.

Lol I'm opposite, long low stems hurt my back and shoulder. That being said, I've got a 135mm stem on my MTB, which is huge by modern standards, and it's still below the saddle too.

Can't like a bike without brakes. I'm too pretty to die
It has front ones. I just keep forgetting to order the mounts for the rear and can't weld aluminum. Hence Faceplant

Latest posts

Back