Cranbrook bubble?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the bike market is hot, but this is nuts. Huffy Cranbrooks were available new at $100 to $150. But now they are all over Craigslist at $200 to $250. Lots of entrepreneurs out there. And suckers. On one hand, I'm glad that more people are riding bikes. On the other hand, this market is interfering with my ability to pick up bikes that people want out of their garages and basements.

Once we get back to normal, many people may revert back to thier car and the couch. Many of the bikes being scooped up now will be unloaded cheap on CL.
But if the trend to ride bikes doesn't fade, then it's a good thing too. No more cheap finds if it takes off as a socially pushed thing you have to do to be cool. No bike? They will look at you like an outcast. You'll need a cool bike. A classic like a 60's Stingray will be better than a BMW for gettin' girls!
1595633932407.png

... better than a BMW for gettin' girls!
I was milling over a Greased Lightning theme for my 40's Huffman. When I started recalling Zucco's pitch to his fellow T-Birds, I began to chuckle. There's a line or two in there in regard of turning this bucket of bolts into a "chick-magnet". I appreciate your optimism!

I was milling over a Greased Lightning theme for my 40's Huffman. When I started recalling Zucco's pitch to his fellow T-Birds, I began to chuckle. There's a line or two in there in regard of turning this bucket of bolts into a "chick-magnet". I appreciate your optimism!

I already co-opted the Greased Lightning theme a while ago. Except in my case it was based on a Fuji Folder, so it was more like Creased Lightning.

g3365=white.png

Last edited:
What people are asking is often a lot different that what they actually are getting.

But...I am going to throw a few of my 'brand new in box' bikes on the ebay as the asking AND selling prices are definitely up there. My worry is, that I got these bikes because I wanted them...so, I snag a quick profit now, but, what if after this boom the prices dip, but not back to the previous level. There is a good chance I won't be able to replace them (especially the STR-24, as it is a limited edition...but, one sold for $2200, and the rest that have sold in the last few months have all been well over $1000!).

now that the "free"stimulis money has run out ppl are starting to have some reality set in,used 2b 30 or more cars at the bank drive through,now back to normal

I bought a bunch of projects (aka old junk frames) from a guy that owns a bike shop in Portland. He has went from primarily selling refurbished bikes a few months ago to being nearly 100% service and parts. He said it's slowing down due to the heat (our summer finally arrived a couple weeks ago, and it turns out a lot of these new riders aren't fans of sweating :grin: ) and the normal mid summer decline. I'm also noting that the WallyWorld racks aren't entirely empty...I may have missed the bubble anyway.

As to the CL PSA...price gouging is being weaponized in that post. Bicycles, in this country, aren't necessities like fuel, food, toiletries, etc...it's a luxury item. I, and others, often reply to valuation inquiries on this forum with phrases like...'it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it'. If someone is willing to pay stupid money for a bike, then it's not predatory for someone to sell them one. I don't really want to sell my BNIB bikes, but wouldn't I be a fool not to double or triple what I spent on them if the opportunity arises? Is it price gouging if someone bought a new StingRay in 1968 for $80 and sold it 40 years later for $2500?

I'm starting to see prices go down a bit, with some quality stuff being listed (*quality to Matti = somewhat decent retro MTBs). It could be attributed to the lockdowns being loosened, or the season coming to an end soon, or maybe everyone got an upgrade and are starting to realize they need to store the old one. Whatever, prices seem to be falling a bit.

Patience grasshopper! When the bubble bursts, it’s gonna chock full o’ sweet, sweet melty bicycle deal goodness - and it’s gonna be quite glorious!

It’s already beginning to happen if you find the people who don’t list things on the internet. I picked up this $300-ish (New price before the Covipocoloypse) Schwinn Sanctuary 7 for $50 last week. The bike was ridden 3 times he claimed, and it looks like it.
80DB054C-CC4E-4703-A3AF-2BDAD7496918.jpeg

I bought a bunch of projects (aka old junk frames) from a guy that owns a bike shop in Portland. He has went from primarily selling refurbished bikes a few months ago to being nearly 100% service and parts. He said it's slowing down due to the heat (our summer finally arrived a couple weeks ago, and it turns out a lot of these new riders aren't fans of sweating :grin: ) and the normal mid summer decline. I'm also noting that the WallyWorld racks aren't entirely empty...I may have missed the bubble anyway.

As to the CL PSA...price gouging is being weaponized in that post. Bicycles, in this country, aren't necessities like fuel, food, toiletries, etc...it's a luxury item. I, and others, often reply to valuation inquiries on this forum with phrases like...'it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it'. If someone is willing to pay stupid money for a bike, then it's not predatory for someone to sell them one. I don't really want to sell my BNIB bikes, but wouldn't I be a fool not to double or triple what I spent on them if the opportunity arises? Is it price gouging if someone bought a new StingRay in 1968 for $80 and sold it 40 years later for $2500?
Yeah. Especially an archaic childs beach cruiser. Too many daft enough to pay anything screwa it up for the rest of us.

That is the part that is no beuno... the closest I've been to being able to buy my dream muscle car was when I was 18. Everytime muscle cars become an investment opportunity, the price shoots up until the bubble collapses. Though the values nose dive from the peaks, they never return to what they were. This happens with motorcycles, bicycles, and most other collectibles. The difference with this covid bubble, is it is supply and demand driven. So, prices may return to normal when everything has played out. Unless, by bringing in a bunch of new riders shoots up interest in bikes and keeps prices inflated.

I hate getting priced out of hobbies over and over. I have enough bicycle projects to last me many years, so I'm probably good to go this time.

I know that the bike market is hot, but this is nuts. Huffy Cranbrooks were available new at $100 to $150. But now they are all over Craigslist at $200 to $250. Lots of entrepreneurs out there. And suckers. On one hand, I'm glad that more people are riding bikes. On the other hand, this market is interfering with my ability to pick up bikes that people want out of their garages and basements.
Every Huffy I’ve ever seen aside from the exact bikes being ridden by the likes of Stu have been absolute garbage. I’m not sure how they haven’t gone out of business due to their bikes not being safe to be used in the genre from which they get their styling cues or simply from the horrendous job of being put together by some box store employees that have no business doing so.

Every Huffy I’ve ever seen aside from the exact bikes being ridden by the likes of Stu have been absolute garbage.
Check out the Huffy Primus... excellent bike made around the turn of the millennia. I'm always on the lookout for a Primus 24.

I'm good with USA made Huffys, especially the pre-war Huffys (aka Huffman)...some of the best looking bikes of that era were Huffman made...and some of the coolest muscle bikes were Huffy made.

Check out the Huffy Primus... excellent bike made around the turn of the millennia. I'm always on the lookout for a Primus 24.

I'm good with USA made Huffys, especially the pre-war Huffys (aka Huffman)...some of the best looking bikes of that era were Huffman made...and some of the coolest muscle bikes were Huffy made.
Wow those things came with Profile cranks and hubs! This one blog post I read sums up why the that bike failed...
http://greenbirdbikeblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/huffys-foray-into-high-end-bmx.html?m=1
And what’s funny is on one of the first google search images the bike has had the Huffy name removed from the down tube...
BE03D3DE-AC5B-4C8A-9976-08D0B4268D25.jpeg

That bike is pretty killer though. I remember seeing an Article in one of the bike Mags in the 90’s about Huffy possibly entering the high end MTB market not just supporting a race team and then providing the public with garbage, I was skeptical then and never actually saw one in a bike shop. I was honestly surprised to see the Primus just now. Basically bike shops don’t want to buy your stuff if they have to compete with box stores selling your branded junk with a higher profit margin. I get that! I probably wouldn’t sell them either, just for that reason, if I owned a bike shop.... I will be on the lookout though!

That's a surprise. I'm definitely in the crowd that wouldn't have given a second look to a Huffy at the bike shop back then. Also add me to the list of people who are now keeping their eyes open for one.
Schwinn was similar with the Homegrown MTBs. If I knew then what I know now...:headbang:

Latest posts

Back