Apple Krate-A-Bout project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea was an Apple Krate with a tall back that would allow me to remove the entire banana seat easily so I could throw it in the back of a car. It all started when I picked up a ‘74 stingray in opaque red with a tall seat, Rear fender, a 3 speed bendix hub not hooked up in any way to a shimano 333 shifter, most of a springer and a fastback front wheel with a drum brake. The sissy bar is super thin and waaay too tall for a gnome like me so I cut 10” off the bottom of each side, left those stubs attached to the dropouts and took a 42” bar I’d cut the mounts off years prior (Cursing myself ever since) and just slid it over the stubs. I added a quick release to the seat post and now I can pull the entire banana seat and back off in one piece and fold it up. Instead of the springer I picked up some forks and stem from a varsity, a 16 wheel and installed a light super low so it breaks up the empty space out front. I dig how the stem juts out & down & matches the rake and light. I have the standard krate bars on now but will soon swap out with a wide 19” set. I may try bar extenders so it looks more like Sears pretzel bars. I still need to get the 3 speed hub hooked up to the 333, coaster brake sorted and a longer Varsity stem bolt. I can run it just like it is but to make it more portable I need a a quick release front hub and I either have to find a quick release stem or a run-a-bout bolt like the one I totally missed on the bay so I can loosen the bars & swing them down. This thing is maybe a bit too light up front & with a bigger rear sprocket and wheel pushed a bit too forward it wheelies easily at speed...hey, lower rolling resistance right? And good unicycle training to boot. Good scary fun. I plan on doing a candy apple respray in Flamboyant Red.
85DC7A88-622D-44FC-82DC-F1FFF65550F1.jpeg
4240E7AB-AC38-4F41-8A47-9EAF9B253ED6.jpeg
96ED7511-65F1-4044-B2C1-4C83191790FA.jpeg
392F8643-EEFC-4CCC-BC35-C39AF92CE841.jpeg

I had to take my car into the shop and had no choice but to try out the portability factor of this bike...even with the massive 19” bars. I popped off the seat, loosened the bars and loaded it up in the back seat. Dropped the car off, reset the bars & seat and off I went. I had to take a 13mm wrench for the bars but everything else was easy peasey until the half mile hill. Yup, need to get the gears goin. Got a “Hey, cool Schwinn“ shout out on the way...I get that almost every time I leave the neighborhood. Took the back pad off after I got home...too hot on my back & it looks better without it.
639E13ED-8628-4E27-B0A1-3895626662B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back