RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack Wagon
I put all the main assembles together, and totally forgot to put the windows in first. Hopefully, I can make that happen from the outside.
4dcbd6429273275851225a9e55202364.jpg

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Looking good @gowjobs ! How is everybody else doing on their kit bash builds? We are a full month-plus in on this 3 month time frame. I'll be finishing up here pretty fast, the weather has already turned cold and tomorrow we expect our first significant snowfall of 2-4", so that means my little corner of the garage will soon be stuffed with shovels and melting slush from the tires of our vehicles. Not exactly perfect model building conditions! :bigsmile:

Let's see some progress reports ! :thumbsup:

I still need to start on mine. No update yet. I have all the parts, but haven't had the time to do anything with them yet.

I would like to do this. I just had a total knee replacement and don’t feel like doing much yet, unless you count sleeping, whining and hobbling around for a few minutes. I’m not up to model building yet and by the time I do it will be late in this build off. I have a cedar chest with a lot of models in there. In the next few days I will look to see what I have. I know I don’t have a Weirdo model so I would have to order one. I’m hoping I can drive by December 10th. I’ll have to use what paint I have. If this thread is still up I‘ll post what I get done. I might feel up to to start on a model I have next week. I just had x-rays and everything is looking good. Since it’s almost Halloween I’m posting a picture of Joe and Oskar, my left knee scars.
image.jpg

Happy Halloween

1604104669584.png

Welcome aboard the Rat/Rod Kit Bash train @us56456712 ! The thread will be up at least through Dec 15, so you will have time to 'get your kit together'. :21:
I'm anxious to see what crawls out of your cedar chest. You can find Weird-oHs model kits on Amazon. Get your order in soon so the delivery guy doesn't have to come by snowmobile or snowshoes to deliver it!

Welcome aboard the Rat/Rod Kit Bash train @us56456712 ! The thread will be up at least through Dec 15, so you will have time to 'get your kit together'. :21:
I'm anxious to see what crawls out of your cedar chest. You can find Weird-oHs model kits on Amazon. Get your order in soon so the delivery guy doesn't have to come by snowmobile or snowshoes to deliver it!
Here is the cedar chest. I opted to build the Messerschmitt Bf-109 because it looks like it is might be the easiest one I have to build. I’m looking for a Rat Fink, but the one small enough won’t be here until too late. I ordered a plastic Rommel’s Rod. The plan is to put the Fink in the Rod and have it towing the plane. Both vehicles were used in the North African Campaign in WWII. I was patting myself on the back for coming up with such a clever idea until I ran across a photo of “Driving Mrs Rommel”, that is pretty much the same idea. It’s impossible to be original anymore.
6DD8A536-2457-4F51-BB7E-685F4E895C40.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
These new balsa model kits are nice. In the 50s the parts were printed with blue ink on the bulsa sheets. When I cut the parts out most of them broke and had to be repaired with glue. Now they are laser cut and almost fall out of the sheets. If some of the more delicate and intricate parts resist removal a lite sanding on the laser cut sheets will take care of that. The instructions say to overlay the plan with plastic wrap to keep the glue from sticking to the paper plan. Problem is the glue sticks to the plastic wrap. Back in 1954 when I started building these there was no plastic wrap. l used wax paper and the glue doesn’t stick to that. I sometimes built one once a week as they cost $0.15 to $0.75. I usually could scrounge up enough 2 cent deposit pop bottles and raid the cushions in my dads easy chair to get fifteen cents. I didn’t care for the fifteen cent ones because they were small and fast to build. I have made a lot of these bulsa models many times. Sometimes I just gave them away as I didn’t collect them. I just liked building them.
image.jpg

So cool that you are incorporating the balsa wood models from your youth in your kit bash. I was building models in the early '60s and my go-to were the Wierd -Ohs models. They were fairly easy, by the number of parts,and left a lot of room for creative ideas paint wise, etc.

Bash on! :thumbsup:

Eh, they don't come with an LCD screen, so he wouldn't have been interested, anyway.

WILL A MILLENNIAL BUILD ONE? NOPE CUZ IT TAKES PATIENCE, PROBLEM SOLVING AND DOESN'T HAVE A LCD SCREEN. IT WILL TAKE "US" OLDTIMERS TO SHOW EM.
Ok, boomers... :21:

Now go drop your grandkids off at code camp
image.jpeg

... no time and patience indeed... mumble.. mumble.. old people these days... ...not like the old people back in my day... ...mumble..

Grab yourself a proagramable diy robot kit. Learn how to build and program that, and then do one of those with your nieces, nephews, and grandies. Foster the same skills with something that'll intestest them.:showingbiceps::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I wish that was the case, but I haven't met a single millennial, or younger, that could code themselves out of a wet paper bag. Tech savvy, these days, seems to mean they know all the ins and outs of facebook and instagram.

Well...I take that back. I have met one, a co-workers son is a programmer, he nearly got caught in China during the beginning of the pandemic. Took him a month to find his way back to the states. Since then, he has been living in his parents garden shed and doesn't come out much because he is scareded.

Latest posts

Back