Psycho 78'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping for at least 3 pity votes , as many as 5 for the misfits song title reference , 2 to 4 for the lace work , and up to 3 for the esso grips. Haha

Not too cold today , went ahead and threw a bit of automotive primer on the frame and then a taste of wimbledon white on the tank sides and headbadge area. Tomorrow the tank side pattern and headbadge design will be taped off and a vintage gold color shot over the whole thing. Then it will be time to have fun with a little gold Roth flake and some lace patterns on the cream tank panels. I'm guessing the rims and maybe the fork will be gloss black.
IMG_20201026_193130961.jpg

Had to peek real fast before taking it apart. The back of the seat needs to come up some obviously and may go with a shorter 26 fork. Looks about right here but with a front tire it may be too high up front. Mocked up the wheelie bar , still need to add skateboard wheels. Gonna attempt a serape seat cover.
Then a few decisions left ...

Whitewalls or black
Black or gold fork
Headlight or not
Painted wheels or polish.
IMG_20201028_114005635~2.jpg

So the repop cheap krate springer I had laying around had severely bent legs ( why my friend gave it to me ) , the 700c long fork set the front end up too high for my eye , so dug through my fork pile and found the original chrome fork my spaceliner came with and it gives it the perfect look I think and the right height. Love it. May have to trim just a hair off of the bottom of the frame tube to get a few more threads but no biggie. Ordered the red wheels for the wheelie bars and the serape material for the seat. Just have to decide on whitewalls or black now
IMG_20201029_155839053.jpg

A Frankenstein.

Pork chopper frame
Vintage gold paint with wimbledon white lace insert and gold flake.
Amf satellite 20 rear wheel
Whitewall duro slick
Curb alert 16 inch front wheel
Duro whitewall
Crusty stingray Jr sissy bar to be bar taped red.
Bratz banana seat to be serape covered
Amf satellite / repro krate leg wheelie bar
Red razor scooter 80mm wheelie wheels
Huge mystery crank and sprocket
Vintage mystery pedals
39 wide wald apes
Esso tiger grips
Spaceliner chrome front 26 fork

Wife found an old photo of me with my first real bike. Zoomed in and it says es100. No idea what that is, but I know I remember the first open road trip on that bright red freedom machine! Love to find one like it some day
IMG_20191102_203932602.jpg

Wife found an old photo of me with my first real bike. Zoomed in and it says es100. No idea what that is, but I know I remember the first open road trip on that bright red freedom machine! Love to find one like it some day View attachment 143166
Looks like an FS, for Free Spirit...a Sears (and other? Department store) brand.

I think they were mostly Murray built, but I've seen Huffys badged Free Spirit as well.

Last edited:
Robbed padding from two Wal Mart spare seats and "upholstered " the old junk bratz pan in a cool serape. Tires got delivered today so hopefully finish polishing the rims this weekend, choose a nice crank /sprocket from the pile , then time to take apart and start assembling for good, piece by piece. Turning out to be a neat little budget built hot rod.
IMG_20201106_213057897.jpg
IMG_20201106_212946145.jpg
IMG_20201106_212946145.jpg

Latest posts

Back