Couldn't resist. I feel so dirty.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asylum Hank is not a "real" Klunker, it was made
less than a decade ago. Try to find one, so cool they're impossible to buy. Modern retro can be super cool.
p4pb14742748.jpg

I guess the fact that it isn't a remake of an old model makes it a little different, it has its own cool, instead of riding the originals' coat tails

less than a decade ago. Try to find one, so cool they're impossible to buy. Modern retro can be super cool.
View attachment 145250
A couple of these have popped up this year on local CL...missed out on both. Prices weren't bad either, which is probably why they went so quick.

Maybe in some cases even a gateway drug to get someone interested in the original stuff.
That‘s like me with the Grape Krate...was looking for an affordable Apple but there was nothing at the time...got the newpop then immediately got turned onto the old stuff so I could build my own. I see the same purist smugness regarding reissues in the guitar world.

There is one collector forum that is actually funny when you read their reaction to the new Schwinn tribute bikes. What made me laugh was all the energy wasted in denigrating bikes they kept insisting were no threat.:crazy:

I came across the Asylum hank a while ago while searching for new straight bars one night. If they built another run I would be all over it.

I bought one of the new kos kruisers released in 2011 which was an awesome bike. Now building a Red Menace Cook reproduction with some nice bits I've accumulated.

I have a Chinese Schwinn classic 3 (canti frame). Building it into my beer/grocery runner with a proper vintage paint scheme, genuine forged blade forks and a few other nice bits I had laying about. Its impossible to to find a cheap USA made Schwinn downunder that I would park outside a shop and not stress about someone knicking it.

I just build them the way I want, love riding 'em and forget about the pedigree.

its cool 99% of the people in gen pop would never realize its not a gennie from back in the day i had a CCM muscle bike had 20" front wheel and a 24 inch back and came with a 24" high sissy bar god i loved that bike

a vintage fork painted to match would really improve it.
[/QUOTE]
I was thinking springer like the old J33's.
View attachment 145247
Something like this look.
[/QUOTE]
I ran this 2007 Black Friday Krate around for a while, sold it a couple years ago. That's part of why it took me so long to finally pull the trigger on this one... I felt like I shouldn't buy another if I just got rid of one.
3rays04.jpg

View attachment 145250
I guess the fact that it isn't a remake of an old model makes it a little different, it has its own cool, instead of riding the originals' coat tails

If I could find a frame like this, with disc tabs and 135mm spacing, I'd build one up using all the modern MTB parts I have, got a wheelset off my old DJ bike I'd use.

If you like it, ride it! It's like clothes you feel great in—maybe some people think they're tacky or inappropriate or whatever, but if they're not your boss, who cares as long as you walk a little taller in them? Originality is for museum pieces. Outside of a bike show that hasn't been put on in years, only one person (some dude) has noticed my original 1912 Iver truss racer. On the other hand, the rocket bike amuses nearly everyone, including some people I actually like to have attention from . . . I suppose it has some original parts, but that's not what anyone notices.

There is so much silly snobbery when it comes to bicycles these days. I don’t see that here, which is why I love this forum. I put mid, old and new school stuff on my bike builds. Why? Why not?

I like the OP’s new steed. I am certain when the upgrades come around, it will be even cooler. But there is no shame in riding a non-US made Schwinn Stingray. Schwinn started outsourcing to the Giant Bicycle Corporation in the 70s. Schwinn’s only American bike was the Paramount in the 80s and early 90s, and that factory became Waterford bicycles. What am I saying here? Ride what you like and to heck with what the cork sniffers have to say!

Last edited:
No sir, they got better after the Paramount.
View attachment 145622
Some of the Homegrown series were built by Yeti (before 1999, made elsewhere in America until 2001)
https://bonustomato.com/page/schwinn-homegrown-model-identifierI believe those are the last Schwinns made in USA, and the bass boat paint is gloriousView attachment 145623
I stand corrected. I am old and have taken a few too many pucks to the head.

My point was that a bike like a Stingray wasn’t built in America for too long. We can agree there, right?

Lol I don't know nothing about stingrays, no clue how long they were made in usa. I wasn't trying to be contradictory, just filling the blanks regarding my favorite Schwinns

How this this thread go from a new Stingray to Hank Asylum? o_O
I guess you missed this post right here
View attachment 145250

Latest posts

Back