Cleaning and polishing frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just rub the frame down with progressively finer wet and dry paper. Assess the raw finish to see where to start, usually around 600 grit. Search here, at the CABE and elsewhere for people who have polished up 1930's aluminum Silver King frames. Once you have it shiny to the point of new aluminum stems and brakes, Gord's aluminum polish REALLY makes it shine. I'm still using the sample size bottle I got...
http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/

I commend you, polishing aluminum and following thru to completion is a horrible job. I did dome by hand, then bought a harbor freight buffer (bigger model) and wouldnt consider doing aluminum without a buffer. Maintenance is lousy too.

Well put, I have heard good things about Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish but I have never tried it . I have the luxury of a large 1 hp polishing lathe with all the abrasive and polishing wheels but it sounds like the Mothers would work for me on keeping the shine up.
I polished a Nexus 7 speed hub and drum brake front hub on one of my builds and they are oxidizing from sitting around but it has been a few years.
Probably so! It turns black once it starts removing the oxidation. I used to try the clay bar methods but it never seemed to last. I used to use blue magic but it has ammonia in it which in turn accelerates oxidizing. Same with the wadding stuff people use; I think it has kerosene or petrol based chemicals. Mother's mag polish though will bead water so I guess there is a silicone substance in it. Their powerball & cone polishers are nice when you can use a drill or can maneuver a part around them on a drill press or polishing buffer setup. I want 1 but have been using those cheap harbor freight pads on a 4" angle grinder when I polished GM S10 wheels & other billet here n there for people. Love mirror finished aluminum!!!

Probably so! It turns black once it starts removing the oxidation. I used to try the clay bar methods but it never seemed to last. I used to use blue magic but it has ammonia in it which in turn accelerates oxidizing. Same with the wadding stuff people use; I think it has kerosene or petrol based chemicals. Mother's mag polish though will bead water so I guess there is a silicone substance in it. Their powerball & cone polishers are nice when you can use a drill or can maneuver a part around them on a drill press or polishing buffer setup. I want 1 but have been using those cheap harbor freight pads on a 4" angle grinder when I polished GM S10 wheels & other billet here n there for people. Love mirror finished aluminum!!!
I finally cleaned up the oxidation on these hubs and used Wenol polish and a old toothbrush around the spoke flange and it worked pretty good, we'll see how long it last. I believe some commercial polishers use an angle grinder also when doing the aluminum and stainless on the big rigs.
When you did you s10 rims were they clearcoated?
IMG_0895.JPG

Latest posts

Back