Captain Awesomes Fresh Finds/General Ramblings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a new bike today......now the wait begins. Been doing more and more mileage lately and between back roads, bike paths, and sweet low country gravel I needed something more suited

Poseidon Redwood. XL frame. Pedal and saddle swap imminent I'm sure as it comes with flats and the seat is allegedly hard as a 2x4

Now it'll just need a name when it arrives in a week or two

4_1024x1024~2.jpg

Gravel bikes are fantastic for your intended use. I've seen plenty disparaging commentary about gravel bikes (too specialized) but you have put some miles on one to see the true beauty of them. There are miles and miles of underutilized rail trail around here. I prepped my '15 Salsa Warbird 3 to go hit some trail this weekend but rain wrecked that plan. If I could only keep one of my bikes it would be that one.

Gravel bikes are fantastic for your intended use. I've seen plenty disparaging commentary about gravel bikes (too specialized) but you have put some miles on one to see the true beauty of them. There are miles and miles of underutilized rail trail around here. I prepped my '15 Salsa Warbird 3 to go hit some trail this weekend but rain wrecked that plan. If I could only keep one of my bikes it would be that one.
Luckily I've got miles and miles of gravel roads and logging trail all around me. Bucket list for me at some point would be to do the Palmetto trail passages that are bike accessible from upstate down

Palmetto trail

I've got a 1/2 pack frame bag and top tube bag on mine from Oveja Negra plus a tool & patch bag under the saddle. They provide enough space to carry essentials on extended rides away from the crowds.

I've got a 1/2 pack frame bag and top tube bag on mine from Oveja Negra plus a tool & patch bag under the saddle. They provide enough space to carry essentials on extended rides away from the crowds.
I already have a decent seat bag/tri water bottle holder I'll try. Otherwise contemplating a handlebar barrel bag

me n two buds regularly bike tour on the Connecticut rail trails (cinder). So much fun. We ride touring bikes set up for gravel use with appropriate tires.

Ordered a new bike today......now the wait begins. Been doing more and more mileage lately and between back roads, bike paths, and sweet low country gravel I needed something more suited

Poseidon Redwood. XL frame. Pedal and saddle swap imminent I'm sure as it comes with flats and the seat is allegedly hard as a 2x4

Now it'll just need a name when it arrives in a week or two

View attachment 154202

I got an out for delivery notification from FedEx

tenor (4).gif

It's shocking that that Redwood is actually in stock. These days it's difficult to find any available bikes. I'm looking forward to your review of it. It's tempting.

It's shocking that that Redwood is actually in stock. These days it's difficult to find any available bikes. I'm looking forward to your review of it. It's tempting.

I thought the same. I stalked their website for months trying to get an X and finally just decided the fatter 650b would be better so I upped my budget

If my second vaccine today doesn't take me out of commission I'm planning for a long session or two this weekend. If I can get an initial 50-75 miles I'll throw out my untrained and unprofessional feedback :113:

First impressions.......

Well boxed and padded
Seat, bars, f wheel is the entire assy
Nice fit and finish
Brake rotors were filthy with fingerprints
Brakes were way outta adjustment
Stock seat sucks
Cable routing needs attention

Rides smooth
Rolls fast

In case you were curious about other feedback on it

Group set review

Not surprisingly, that's a heavy bike (about 28 lbs). My touring bike with front and rear racks, pedals, blinkies, fenders, spare spokes, bottle cages, tool bag and a couple aftermarket attachment points is 32 lbs. My Specialized CruX, which I use as a gravel bike and pit bike for cross races is only 21.4 lbs with pedals and one bottle cage.

Not surprisingly, that's a heavy bike (about 28 lbs). My touring bike with front and rear racks, pedals, blinkies, fenders, spare spokes, bottle cages, tool bag and a couple aftermarket attachment points is 32 lbs. My Specialized CruX, which I use as a gravel bike and pit bike for cross races is only 21.4 lbs with pedals and one bottle cage.
I'm thinking eventually I can shave some grams, but with plus tires it's pretty pointless. Even carbon rims seem like overkill on a budget friendly steed. Plus I'm a Clydesdale anyhow so everything will work out

So far I've added some Shimano SPD pedals, a Specialized comp seat, bottle cages, and an ano top cap. Bar bag is en route as well as spare tubes and such. Contemplating some Schwalbe G-one all around tires

So far she seems to be a capable steed. Shook it down tonight on a small "crit" track I mapped out. 1.3 miles with an even split of 1/3 each gravel, pavement, and single track. I am extremely impressed how it handled the single track section. Only managed a handful of miles, but they were a blast
IMG_20210423_164748698~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back