my new old schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can some of you guys help my with the year..

103_1346.jpg

103_1326.jpg

103_1343.jpg

103_1330.jpg

103_1331.jpg

Welcome to the forum (some might suggest an intro) :)

My best guess is 40s, based on the headbadge and skiptooth sprocket.

A serial number might be located on the bottom bracket or on the left rear dropout.

Some of these Schwinn guys might know for sure.

Whats the little wooden box under the front basket?

As the bike seems to be prewar the serial number won't help you.

The Schwinn serial chart begins in 1948 before everything as been destroyed.

Beautiful accessorized bike.

Looks like the rear dropouts might be forward facing.....Need a better pic. Then you have postwar bike and should be able to date it. Skiptooth drivetrains existed after WW2. Chainguard looks alot like the the Hornet one in 1954 54 catalog

Find your serial number and cross reference or post here

Very, very cool! Is that light setup an original accessory? The box looks very homemade. Very neat!

mine has the same head badge, serial# G64258, supposed to be 1940. any body knows for sure? thanks

Outlaw

All the records burned in a factory fire, but I would think someone could take the serial numbers from existing Schwinns from before 1948 and extrapolate a sequence. I'd do it if I could get enough numbers from bikes with proven manufacture dates. Schwinn kept them in order for the most part, so I'm surprised no one has published anything on the internet yet.

I'm on the side of postwar 40's. Serial number would be under the crank housing, and would help a lot. Looks like postwar for several reasons - most visible is the chainguard attachment, and it looks like the rear dropouts face forward. Also appears that the rack and fender are mounted above and behind the rear axle.

Nice one though..

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

tomb said:

That is were the battery went for the head light...thanks guy i like this site ...i have all been to old stuff like bikes and i allso like old vw buses...i just went out and looked at the bottom ...the number is.....D10254....

barndoor said:
tomb said:

That is were the battery went for the head light...thanks guy i like this site ...i have all been to old stuff like bikes and i allso like old vw buses...i just went out and looked at the bottom ...the number is.....D10254....

Just looked to see where that number would fall. I have a '47 DX with a C05143 number, and noted the known numbers for '48 (post-fire) begin at D92598. With that, I'd figure your bike to be most likely early '48, but with a slight possibility of late '47. I have a '48 Cycle-truck with a Nov. 13, '48 date, but their specific numbers are not quite the same as regular bikes.

One way or the other, it's still a nice one to begin with. :mrgreen:
Post your progress!

rat royale said:
barndoor said:
tomb said:

Just looked to see where that number would fall. I have a '47 DX with a C05143 number, and noted the known numbers for '48 (post-fire) begin at D92598. With that, I'd figure your bike to be most likely early '48, but with a slight possibility of late '47. I have a '48 Cycle-truck with a Nov. 13, '48 date, but their specific numbers are not quite the same as regular bikes.

One way or the other, it's still a nice one to begin with. :mrgreen:
Post your progress!

Thanks for your help.....

For the guy that ask if the hubs were black.They are not..the two things i would like to get are a seat and a set of pedels like the one in the pic ..and would the rims be chrome

103_1386.jpg

103_1387.jpg

I believe if you remove the crank that you will find a date cast into it. That should help put you in the ball park. The crank will have a AS (Arnold, Schwinn) and a date. This does not mean the bike was built that year but close. Rat Royale's guess sounds about right.

When i bought the schwinn it came with another bike but this one is missing the tag on the front..I can tell that it's not a schwinn but i don't know much about these old bikes...as you can see this one has a funny box on it too...the guy that i bought them from told me that they came from the same guy...he told me the man keep tools and a extra Chane in it...can you guys tell me what this one is....

103_1392.jpg

103_1388.jpg

103_1391.jpg

103_1390.jpg

Latest posts

Back