Help a fella out. Family Vacation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

momma asked my daughter what she thought about going to disney world.
sissy had a puzzled kinda look shook her head yes and walked away!
ol'lady and i looked at each other and agreed it was a weird response!
about 5-10 mins later she returned to say that she would(exact quote)
Sissy: Mom i think i would rather go to someplace more cool!,
Mom: more cool than disney !,
Sissy: like Arizona.
Mom: Arizona! Really!?!?
Sissy: well there is more history and stuff there. disney is just like for buying stuff and
i would rather go to Arizona.:shock: i was so proud i welled up.

well since Lil' miss 8 yr old is not a sheeple for the retail world. it looks like we are going on a road trip.

places we are going to go see starting from michigan ending in Phoenix

Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Arches and then the Grand Canyon

what i would like input on it things in between to see and do.

That is great for your daughter to be like that. I am always for getting off the beaten path and checking out new things.

Make sure to drive south out of Yellowstone through Grand Teton National Park. The Teton's are breathtaking.
http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

kayaking-tetons.jpg

Come on out !!! There is plenty of history here in the Southwest.Right now the desert is greener than I have ever seen it, really beautiful and the wild flowers are starting to bloom.The sooner the better. Summers here can be a bit on the warm side 110+. Some of the places to see are Grand Canyon,Flagstaff,Oak Creek and the red rocks of Sedona. In that same area is the old mining town of Jerome. Parts of it have slid down the mountain over the years. Nowdays it is more of an funky artist town.I would also suggest getting off the interstate and take the state highways.You can PM me if you have questions.

I'll second the Canyon, Oak Creek, Sedona and Jerome. I'll add Montezuma's Castle (not really, just the name). The Tuzigoot ruins. The Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, and Canyon de Shelly. "Near" the Grand Canyon is an Indian reservation at the bottom of a tributary canyon with a creek called Havasu. There are falls near the reservation and there is camping or a lodge to rent a room in. The hike down is not too bad. about 8 hours. The falls are wicked cool. You can swim in the river under the falls and even get behind them and dive through. Falls are too high and water not deep enough to dive from the top. Google Havasu Falls. you'll want to go once you see the photos.

Have fun!!!

thatismytruck said:
I'll second the Canyon, Oak Creek, Sedona and Jerome. I'll add Montezuma's Castle (not really, just the name). The Tuzigoot ruins. The Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, and Canyon de Shelly. "Near" the Grand Canyon is an Indian reservation at the bottom of a tributary canyon with a creek called Havasu. There are falls near the reservation and there is camping or a lodge to rent a room in. The hike down is not too bad. about 8 hours. The falls are wicked cool. You can swim in the river under the falls and even get behind them and dive through. Falls are too high and water not deep enough to dive from the top. Google Havasu Falls. you'll want to go once you see the photos.

Have fun!!!
right on thats what im looking for !

in response to a pm...........

you cats are out that way last time i was out there i wasn't old enough to drive. so as long as it not some back woods two track i'm down for the rural scenic route. any points along the map to see and do or you know if the route it's self would be better a different way.

i'm just trying to have a good time with my family, we are a down to earth people and like to see and do things momma has a lil sheeple in her but the kids are right on so far but yeah any info in and around any places you know or have been through toss'em out there.

any info on the pros and cons of entering from the north entrance vs. the east entrance of Yellowstone?
the reason i ask is we will be leaving by the south.

my route does go north through but i figured i would go through north to south but i'm open for suggestion.

I clicked on the link for the drive you plan to take. Wow. That is going to make for a very long trek. See below on taking the long route.

When I did the AZ thing I lived in KCMO. the first time I got to AZ by I35 south to I40 west. Camped in AMarillo the first night in the "Grand Canyon of TX" Visited Cadillac ranch, then stopped to Raton, NM because we liked it. Then we headed to the Grand Canyon ridge for the night. Then Sedona. Then we did some of the things mentioned above. The second time I went 35 south then KS route 50 to Dodge City and camped. Then KS 56 to I25. Camped in Sante Fe. Went to Taos. Wow cool. Then to four corners and Monument Valley. Wicked Mega Wow Cool! Then through Painted Desert. Very nice. Then Oak Creek/Sedona again. Went swimming in Oak Creek and did some sliding down some of the rapids.

Now for some unsolicited advice. On the second trip there there was a decent amount of wanting to make extra stops. Were were only kind of on a schedule. I stopped occasionally, but not enough for for her liking. It was a little difficult. On my way back to KC, I needed to make some time. I made KCMO from Albuquerque in 14 hours. Wife drove for 2 of those. I dealt with a LOT of can we stop here? Every answer was no. If you have an 8 yr old, no matter how patient and good AND a wife. it could be difficult for you.

If you want ancient history, check out the Anasazi and Pueblo Indian sites in the SW. Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and Canyon de Chelly, to name a few. Gary

thatismytruck said:
I clicked on the link for the drive you plan to take. Wow. That is going to make for a very long trek. See below on taking the long route.

When I did the AZ thing I lived in KCMO. the first time I got to AZ by I35 south to I40 west. Camped in AMarillo the first night in the "Grand Canyon of TX" Visited Cadillac ranch, then stopped to Raton, NM because we liked it. Then we headed to the Grand Canyon ridge for the night. Then Sedona. Then we did some of the things mentioned above. The second time I went 35 south then KS route 50 to Dodge City and camped. Then KS 56 to I25. Camped in Sante Fe. Went to Taos. Wow cool. Then to four corners and Monument Valley. Wicked Mega Wow Cool! Then through Painted Desert. Very nice. Then Oak Creek/Sedona again. Went swimming in Oak Creek and did some sliding down some of the rapids.

Now for some unsolicited advice. On the second trip there there was a decent amount of wanting to make extra stops. Were were only kind of on a schedule. I stopped occasionally, but not enough for for her liking. It was a little difficult. On my way back to KC, I needed to make some time. I made KCMO from Albuquerque in 14 hours. Wife drove for 2 of those. I dealt with a LOT of can we stop here? Every answer was no. If you have an 8 yr old, no matter how patient and good AND a wife. it could be difficult for you.

looks like the way im going to take back to mi.
the painted desert and the rapids sound awesome! thats the stuff i'm looking to see with them.

the things that stand out when we drove to cali when i was a kid , coming across the mid states and seeing the shadow of the mountains, the mountain roads, the waterfalls and the stars in the mountains and the MOUNTAINS WOW :shock: but when we went it was a gotta get there fast for step-dad's family but over all i enjoyed seeing the park in Colorado, going through the Eisenhower tunnel, Lake Tahoe and the Hoover Da m

my goal is to make good time to the places we would like to visit on the trip there so we can spend time in those places. would love to stop everyplace but just driving through will be cool in itself.

the painted desert made me remember Antelope Canyon and looked at my map and the Arches wasn't on there :oops:
http://www.bundubashers.com/images/Ante ... n%2011.jpg

We did AZ a couple years ago. Stayed in PHX. Went to Williams AZ and got on a train to the Grand Canyon. Saw Sedona, very beautiful there. One of my favorite things we did was if I remember right, it was called Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa where a guy plays a big antique Wurlitzer theatre organ. It had about every bell and whistle you could think of hooked to it.

How much tavel time do you have?
There's a place in Az. called All Bikes ( not sure excetly where it is ) maybe some of the guys in Az. knows more. I think Larry of Larry's Custom Bicycles in Mesa told me about it, I found it on my way home a couple of years ago. This guy has thousands of bikes in rows and piles like a junk yard, he also has cars & motorcycles.
I think it's in the N.E. just before you get to New Mexico. Can anybody in Az. help me out here? The wife was not real impressed, but I milked the time for all I could.

Larry is a great guy, hope he doesn't mind if I put his info out, But it's
8150 E. Butte Mesa, Az. 480-984-0102

When I was a kid my dad would plan long driveing vacations about eavery three years, it a great way to see and learn about the U.S.A.

Have fun and always drive safly.

Hey Dos Cruiser,I am not sure of the Larry situation. The best person to talk to is probably Slick Rick,maybe PM him.
The All Bikes (bike junkyard) is in Rye AZ. It is just south ,maybe 10 miles from the town of Payson on Rt. 87. Payson is about 100 miles N.E. of Phoenix.
All Bikes have been posted on this forum a few times.The guy really doesnt want to sell anything,he is more like a hoarder. Here are a few pics.

The owner........
P1010022.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010010.jpg

dos cruiser said:
How much tavel time do you have?
There's a place in Az. called All Bikes ( not sure excetly where it is ) maybe some of the guys in Az. knows more. I think Larry of Larry's Custom Bicycles in Mesa told me about it, I found it on my way home a couple of years ago. This guy has thousands of bikes in rows and piles like a junk yard, he also has cars & motorcycles.
I think it's in the N.E. just before you get to New Mexico. Can anybody in Az. help me out here? The wife was not real impressed, but I milked the time for all I could.

Larry is a great guy, hope he doesn't mind if I put his info out, But it's
8150 E. Butte Mesa, Az. 480-984-0102

When I was a kid my dad would plan long driveing vacations about eavery three years, it a great way to see and learn about the U.S.A.

Have fun and always drive safly.

i think she would take a hold of me by the short ones if i tried to work that in lol :cry:

she was talking about seeing old west towns and things of that nature but i would rather see things of natural awe"food for the soul" that i can scratch off my bucket list because i'm working on my own pile of rusty bikes. :mrgreen:

PBS is playing a documentary about Chaco Canyon as I type. Northwest part of New Mexico. The history, etc. would really fit what your daughter asked for. Going back north into Colorado, hit Mesa Verde for more ancient Indian history.

Looking at your route south, I would track the return back to the east thru Colorado and on north homeward.

I forget your time frame, but If early June, it's still cold in Wyoming with snow, and at the same time, it's already hot in the deserts of Utah and Arizona. Colorado's elevation will get you back to cool temps.

IMHO having done many road trips out of Texas to the north and west, you are biting off way more than will make for a pleasant trip. Unless, of course you are the kind that stops at a lookout and states "well that's the Grand Canyon, back in the car". For me a road trip from North Texas to Yellowstone/Tetons is a minimum of 2 weeks. We did it in one week once, and wished mightly that we had just stopped off in Colorado on that trip. 2 days up, 2 days there (not near enough time) and 2 days back, and back to work Monday. Too rushed.

having said all that, I hope your trip is a great one, and I agree, way better than DL.

jerrykr said:
PBS is playing a documentary about Chaco Canyon as I type. Northwest part of New Mexico. The history, etc. would really fit what your daughter asked for. Going back north into Colorado, hit Mesa Verde for more ancient Indian history.

Looking at your route south, I would track the return back to the east thru Colorado and on north homeward.

I forget your time frame, but If early June, it's still cold in Wyoming with snow, and at the same time, it's already hot in the deserts of Utah and Arizona. Colorado's elevation will get you back to cool temps.

IMHO having done many road trips out of Texas to the north and west, you are biting off way more than will make for a pleasant trip. Unless, of course you are the kind that stops at a lookout and states "well that's the Grand Canyon, back in the car". For me a road trip from North Texas to Yellowstone/Tetons is a minimum of 2 weeks. We did it in one week once, and wished mightly that we had just stopped off in Colorado on that trip. 2 days up, 2 days there (not near enough time) and 2 days back, and back to work Monday. Too rushed.

having said all that, I hope your trip is a great one, and I agree, way better than DL.

we were talking that we might make it a couple of trips because i'm with you on the not being rushed. i can deal with busting hump to get there and back but while in those places i do want some time to take it all in.

we are waiting to find out her exact PT . so we can iron out the rest. just trying to find out things you should see and do before you die kinda stuff. i found a byways site :shock: oh how i would really like to see the U.S. that way but we don't have that much time.

i'm happy i got her away from Prime time sheeplevision but man the travel/history channel is going to kill me with all these U.S. based things lately. last night i hear "what do you think of driving to Philly for my long weekend" (nurse. goofy on off days) "OOOH and we can take the train to New York and and and" :roll: so now a trip to Philly is in my near future without kids though. :wink:

Latest posts

Back