I gots me a worksman! And a Worksman Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, Got me a super cheap worksman...Did not appear to have any problems, other than the rear hub making noise...ill fix that later. The Front hub didnt wobble or anything, but when i take the wheel off, the axle is free...Is this normal? I mean...the wheel spun, made no noise...and then this...See the video!

Quality is weird...first video from the iPhone 4

cant tell from the vid, but some older HEAVY DUTY hubs were basically a hollow axle (that the bearing cones adjusted on) with a solid axle through it (that attached the hub to the fork)

some of your old heavy duty forks that just have holes in them (and no outlet) used those hubs. its like threading a needle, remove the solid axle, slide the wheel in place and thread the axle through.

looks like theyre called "knock-out hubs", worksman still has them on their parts lists too.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/n ... ycle-truck

theres a link to a schwinn cycle truck knock-out hub that probably describes it better

and another link for worksman (with a small diagram) page 3

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/s ... lBikes.pdf

See how this fork doesnt have any dropouts leading into the axle holes, thats what those hubs fit into

2911737610101498585S600x600Q85.jpg

Ok!
So this is totally normal...

My fork is normal, its not just holes...

Thanks for the help

Edit-
I was going to search the worksman site myself...this computer doesnt have PDF

i had an no-name "industrial trike" a while back that had plastic mags and that kind of front axle, i just thought it was something to do with the funky wheels and the makers being cheap :lol:

Yep... its a standard thing for the HD clincher wheels (they also make what they call a medium duty or something that is a "normal" wheel) And I agree, I have used them for quite a few things that they where an advantage...

oh yeah i agree 100% its a pretty nice set-up, just saying the first time i ran into it was on a noname brand bike with strange-to-me wheels, so i just assumed it was a cheaper manufacturing process and had nothing to do with being a beefed up hub ...

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

nowyouknow.jpg

Late to the party as always, but yeah, you've got a normal Worksman industrial front hub.

I thought something was wrong too the first time I took apart my work bike to replace a tube. Then I realized the axle came out... then I read about it on their web site... then I understood!

They are heavy beasts and tough as nails. If anything, the Shimano coaster hubs are probably the weakest link, but I've carried all kinds of heavy stuff, ridden mine hard, skidded it, gone through 6" deep floods of um... mixed materials... in the paper mill I work in. It always puts up with the abuse and keeps working.

I did come back from a vacation and find a broken coaster-brake strap though... so I suspect other people have been less nice to it than me. And I have had to grind away a bit on the rear dropouts to get the axle in and out. Mine has damage from over tightening the rear axle nuts, before I got it.

Still a great tool that helps me get more done at work.

--Rob

Latest posts

Back