Barn fresh Elgin Blue Bird NEW PICS pg8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elgin Blue Bird - The Bike of the Century

100_0899.jpg

100_0900.jpg

100_0902.jpg

Re: Barn fresh Elgin Blue Bird

Spokeshave said:
I'm still thinking about this bike.
I thought about it all day! :lol:
Yeah tell me about it all I want to do now is sit in the garage and stare at it. cant get anything done and the wife gets mad now that im in the garage to much. :shock:

backpedaler said:
we still need to know - how much? :lol:
I don't think you'll ever really say how much you paid, and that's cool with me, but if you were able to get the same original terms that Sears was offering back then, the "Easy Payment plan" of $5 down and $5 per month, how long would it be before it was paid off, estimated to the nearest century?!?! :lol:

88 replies in 4 day speaks volumes about this bike! This post has been the best and worst post that could happen to any of us, one minute I'm optimistic and think there is one just waiting for me and the next minute I'm miserable cuz I'm thinkin I'll never find one. Lol! What a bitter sweet post this has been so far, You sir are a very lucky and/or a very diligent man. What an inspirational post. I think all of our minds are spinning over this one, at least mine is!

I've got to say out of the 15+ years I have worked on bikes, this is the most beautiful one I have seen yet.

Hat's off for you Nate :!:

you have enter a new galaxy now it's time to start playing with a real bike :D

CONGRATULATIONS :wink:

I can't help but say, can you imagine how much rarer these bikes are now since the price of scrap metal went up a few years back! I can only imagine how many precious bikes no longer exsist. There is a scraper down the road from me that fills 2 trucks every day and he refuses to sell a thing. His reply to me is "I'm not a salesman!" he then threatens to call the police if you come back! The sad part about it is that I'd be willing to give him as much for one bike than he'll get for a whole load of tin at the scrap yard. Does anybody else have cranky/miserable scrapers like this in their town?

John c said:
I can't help but say, can you imagine how much rarer these bikes are now since the price of scrap metal went up a few years back! I can only imagine how many precious bikes no longer exsist. There is a scraper down the road from me that fills 2 trucks every day and he refuses to sell a thing. His reply to me is "I'm not a salesman!" he then threatens to call the police if you come back! The sad part about it is that I'd be willing to give him as much for one bike than he'll get for a whole load of tin at the scrap yard. Does anybody else have cranky/miserable scrapers like this in their town?

Oh man, that would drive me crazy. I can't stand when people refuse to listen to reason.

Another reason we see such a shortage of pre war bikes is that tons of them were melted down for the war cause in the early 40s. Someone on another vintage bike forum posted a photo of hundreds of bikes that were lined up to be melted down, I .... near cried.....

I've made friends with most of the junkers around here but the scrapyard itself won't sell a thing out of the yard, I saw an old Stingray there yesterday when I took in a load of cans just sitting innocently on the pile. Looked like it was in great shape too..... :cry: They won't sell a bolt off of it, some insurance technicality or something, it blows. I even told them I'd sign a waiver of responsibility and pay 3x scrap price still no luck.

outskirtscustoms said:
I've made friends with most of the junkers around here but the scrapyard itself won't sell a thing out of the yard, I saw an old Stingray there yesterday when I took in a load of cans just sitting innocently on the pile. Looked like it was in great shape too..... :cry: They won't sell a bolt off of it, some insurance technicality or something, it blows. I even told them I'd sign a waiver of responsibility and pay 3x scrap price still no luck.

people and their "policies" are so out of touch with reality anymore, i don't know how a grown person can look at you while spouting that and be serious - idiots! :x

Well I know of two Bluebirds that have sold locally... one was $3000 the other $2500.... And they where more or less Parts bikes... major rust on one (parts falling in two) the other missing lots of stuff... I would guess yours would fetch maybe $4000- $6000 as it is? Not that I really have any idea... Just a guess.... I know its not all about the dough but still its a story you'll be telling for the rest of your life! As good as winning the lotto!

MonsterMetal said:
Well I know of two Bluebirds that have sold locally... one was $3000 the other $2500.... And they where more or less Parts bikes... major rust on one (parts falling in two) the other missing lots of stuff... I would guess yours would fetch maybe $4000- $6000 as it is? Not that I really have any idea... Just a guess.... I know its not all about the dough but still its a story you'll be telling for the rest of your life! As good as winning the lotto!

BETTER

Don't tell anyone what you paid for it. Keep it a mystery. Just smile real big when anyone asks. :lol: Gary

WOW, an Elgin blue bird, you lucky man!!! Well another day of this post haunting my every decision I make! Lol!!! I find myself checking this tread all the time just to see what everybody else is thinking, I'm kinda creepin myself out. Lol!
Anybody else find themselves in my boat or am I all alone?

npence said:
Yeah tell me about it all I want to do now is sit in the garage and stare at it. cant get anything done and the wife gets mad now that im in the garage to much. :shock:

Is this going to end up being one of those stories like when someone wins the Lotto and it ends up ruining their lives? Suddenly everyone is your friend, or all of your existing friends are jealous and stop talking to you. Man, you don't need that. You should just sell it to me right now and get your life back. I'll even give you $50 more than you paid. :D Great find man!

Latest posts

Back