First mock-up of my "rad-tracker"..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go :

Schwinn frame, Columbia springer.
Rims and frame and fork will become grey.
Spokes will be black
Felt Quick Brick 2.125 CREME balloons.
Brass headlight/bell/taillight.
Rearwheel is only for the pic, a Sachs 2speed Automatic with kickback is waiting to be laced :D
Seat : Brooks

Funny detail : I wrote a manufacturer of spokes and nippels, and they will send me raw/unfinished spokenippels,
so they are brass :D
IMG_0623.jpg

Re: First mock-up of my boardtracker..

Man, I thought there was something wrong with that springer, but it's just a cool design with the legs that move in the back instead of the front. I've never seen one like that before, do you know the vintage? And the bike looks sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ziet er goed uit :wink: Zorg alleen ff dat je dat Gazelle stuur loost :idea:

Looks good :wink: Just make sure you ditch the Gazelle (Dutch bicycle brand) handlebars :idea:

(Maybe if I keep posting like this, all Ratrodders will learn Dutch eventually :mrgreen: )

looks cool. Are the forks from a mans or womens bike? Any modifying to make it work?? Thanx, Mark

Mark,

Fork is from a womensbike.
Had to cut some longer thread, and shorten the tube. No big deal.

Gerwin, that springer on the bike is really unusual. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works.

My assumption is that there is no bolt running through the spring and it is just the spring attached to the fork arms at both ends. So as the wheel hits a bump the back fork arm goes up and stretches the spring and then the spring eventually pulls itself back together again.

If you could post a few more pictures of the springer sometime that would be great. Especially one from the front to see how it looks when you are standing in front of the bike or when the bike is coming at you. Thanks.

Haha, I'm from Holland and bought the fork from Ebay.USA :lol:
I did understood how the springer works, and you guys from the States don't ????? :wink:
Ratroddad : yep , you got it right ! One end of the spring is attached to one pair of legs, the other end
is attached to the other pair of legs.
You dont push the spring in while riding, you just pull it out.

Nice bike! Love the Idea with the brass nipples! And the other brass accessories!! :mrgreen:

Mark, thanks for the additional pictures.

I didn't notice on Gerwin's original picture that there was a bolt that ran through the spring and went up higher than the spring. It looked like the spring was fixed on each end - which is why I wasn't sure how it worked or how it could expand.

Once I saw the bolt on yours I looked back at his original picture and the bolt is there too - just hidden behind the handlebars.

So now it makes sense.

:D

The only thing that surprised me was the drop-in in the fork.
They are small !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The standard "European" axles of the hubs don't fit.
And my rims seem a little small.
What is the standard width of the rims for balloons ? (please in mm's cause i'm Dutch :lol: )

Like that lights...? L-O-V-E that stuff! Ive seen such brass parts on really kewl trumpets, but never on a bicycle :shock:
Respect, dude! :wink:

Latest posts

Back