Any model builders here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...yea i've redone a few...i can't say that i've PLANNED to take them apart again, but as skills improve or styles change you can always see something to change or improve...not just models either...the 1:1 car(s), the bikes...the signifigant other( oops that may get me in trouble lol )

Found my VW I did this year....

Even though you cant tell in the pic, it's a 1/18 1958 VW Cabriolet diecast that was baby blue w/ an off white interior & skinny white walls. I took it all the way down to bare metal, did some body work to some flawed areas and repainted it dark bronze metallic and whimbleton white w/ a pearlescent clear. The whole car was then covered w/ a wet look clear. The suspension was narrowed & lowered to fit the 18" scale wheels & tires. The door panels, seats & other interior parts were painted a dark tan and the floor was covered w/ dark brown flocking. The top is done w/ a dark khaki textured paint. The his & hers surfboard are an exotic hardwood ply two-tone w/ the VW logo in pink & blue for the his & hers part. The diorama is hand built and is 3 feet wide and HEAVY! The trees are all hand made too. The rock is real. The couple in the sand is porcilean. I already had the VW and was planning to build it this way, but after spending a couple weeks in Hawaii last year I came up with what you see here....

Nice work chips, I like the footprints in the sand, now that''s attention to detail. Makes me want a Corona.

MagicRat said:
Hey Out,I HATE doing things twice.

I've had to...

Maybe it's my OCD, but I like to do things over but try to push it a step further each time. That's how I hone my skills. I have one bike that has gone through 9 re-builds I just get bored with things quickly. Soon as the flash wears off I have to re-do it or sell it to buy something else. I've had 17 vehicles in the last 3 years and I can't remember how many bikes.

KJV said:
found a tube of glue in a box today.
anybody know how to get it out of a mustache. :oops:
don't wanna shave. :mrgreen:
been a groovy day. :) :lol:

Finger-nail polish remover works great for dissolving glue. I've actually soaked a few models in it to re-do them entirely. sometimes it does take the paint off too though.

outskirtscustoms said:
KJV said:
found a tube of glue in a box today.
anybody know how to get it out of a mustache. :oops:
don't wanna shave. :mrgreen:
been a groovy day. :) :lol:

Finger-nail polish remover works great for dissolving glue. I've actually soaked a few models in it to re-do them entirely. sometimes it does take the paint off too though.
also, makings for another
GROOVY DAY :lol: :lol: :)

Need some ideas guys and you are the right ones to ask.
Bought an ugly VW bug "model" (is a plastic toy actually) cause around here models cost a LOT and there aren't any I like so I´ll have to pretty much make my own. No problem with that, only thing bothering me is how to make the wheels. I want classic VW wheels and not the sporty ones the toy comes with. Can´t wait to get home and dismantle this thing...
Here, a pic so you can see what we´re dealing with:

Don´t know if I´m brave or just an idiot for buying this for 3 bucks, (please don't answer that :lol: ) but some ideas on how to make those wheels would be cool :wink:

I used to build models for Scale Auto Enthusiast Magazine when i was in highschool up until about 1998... Here are a few i still have sitting in a cabinet i built in the mid 90s.

dsc01132st.jpg

dsc01130q.jpg

dsc01128r.jpg

dsc01121h.jpg

Never had a judge even mention that fiberglass doesnt rust... haha..
dsc01146a.jpg

dsc01120b.jpg

dsc01149k.jpg

Gdcast said:
Need some ideas guys and you are the right ones to ask.
Bought an ugly VW bug "model" (is a plastic toy actually) cause around here models cost a LOT and there aren't any I like so I´ll have to pretty much make my own. No problem with that, only thing bothering me is how to make the wheels. I want classic VW wheels and not the sporty ones the toy comes with. Can´t wait to get home and dismantle this thing...
Here, a pic so you can see what we´re dealing with:

Don´t know if I´m brave or just an idiot for buying this for 3 bucks, (please don't answer that :lol: ) but some ideas on how to make those wheels would be cool :wink:
I got some wheels from a VW Microbus toy that would look sweet on that. Don't know if the size would be too big or not. I'll try to get a picture of them for you. Shipping would probably be a deal breaker though.

I would be thrilled to have those!! Are they so big? Current wheels (without tires) on the bug are 1.1 in. (2.8 cm exactly)
If those fit let me know and I´ll PM you :D

This is last night´s progress so far:

Got Channelled, roof cut for rag top and body sanded. :lol:

Had to stop cause revived a call telling me some punk tried to rob my wife´s purist, she resisted, fought the guy and kept her belongings. Instinct kicked in and although she always says she would leave all and avoid confrontation, she didn´t.
FUBAR situation that kept us on the edge and sleepless al night, heck, I´m pretty much angry and frustrated about it...

They might be a little big backs are almost 3 inch with tires fronts are 2.5 in with tires. The hub caps are removable just like the real thing so you could paint the rims any color you wanted.

Here's some pics.
P9020061.jpg

P9020064.jpg

P9020063.jpg

Yeah they are kinda big unless you're building a donk. They came off one of these chub city radio control things:
31Xx8mpc7aL.jpg

...here's a few of mine; these were for a "Sun, Sand & Surf" modelers event we had just for fun...
cedarville11-19-11009-1.jpg

InTheFade said:
dsc01146a.jpg

Actually I thought it looked more like fire damage. Still cool though.

outskirtscustoms said:
InTheFade said:
dsc01146a.jpg

Actually I thought it looked more like fire damage. Still cool though.

it reminds me of the Corvette that
Buford Pusser was killed in. :mrgreen:
on display @ the Police Museum in Pigeon Forge , Tn.

Latest posts

Back