What model Schwinn is this? #2!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Found this for sale locally. Not being too familair with bikes yet, I was wondering what it is & what it might be worth. Thanks...

5I75Fe5M53Ga3p43Hfc3b75fc2d93f04713c9.jpg

5L15Nf5M63Gb3F33Hbc3b78c3f3f01d731eed.jpg

Re: What model Schwinn is this?

That's easy-peasy..... it's a Tornado from the late 50's or early 60's. The twin bars that end at the seat stay are a dead give-away. If it's all original, it should be red, have a Komet coaster brake and cream colored painted rims.

It's a cool bike, but they aren't overly pricey. I'd guess a range of $50 to $150 depending on location and condition.... or maybe a little more, given the popularity of old Schwinns nowadays.

If you are going to restore it, be aware of the tire size: It's a Schwinn rim that does not take standard 26" tires. ( I think it's an S-7, but don't quote me on that. It might an S-something else. It'll say on the rim near the valve hole. ) The tires are available though, both on EBay and some online vendors.

OR if you are going to fix it up to ride, standard 26" wheels off any modern cruiser will work.

It's a great find! Good luck with it.

Seller says he's letting it go to the best offer he gets by the end of this week. He probably thinks it's worth a mint. Not sure I'll bite. Just curious on what it was. Thanks for the info guys. I feel like such a Newb :oops:

fordmike65 said:
Seller says he's letting it go to the best offer he gets by the end of this week. He probably thinks it's worth a mint. Not sure I'll bite. Just curious on what it was. Thanks for the info guys. I feel like such a Newb :oops:

Don't be embarrassed by being a Newb! Every member on this website & every bike collector worldwide was new @ collecting bikes @ some point. I am far (very, very, very far) from an expert, but not a day goes by that I don't learn something new from the guys & gals on this website! There is a world of knowledge available here. 8) Thanks to Rat Rod for putting us all together! :D

Thank you all for being so helpful & understanding. It's hard being passionate about something,but not knowing much about it! Main thing is that I don't want to be "taken" by some one who may want to sell me something "rare" and "unique" that may just be something very common. I ran into this recently when getting into vintage air guns. I've picked up some run-of-the-mill pellet guns for $30 that some one has tried to pass off as something very rare for $600. I'm beginng to see a similar pattern in the world of vintage bicyles as well. Anywho, I just checked out another bike. Not sure if it'll be a good candidate for the lil one, but nevertheless a different design frame that I don't believe I've seen yet. It seems to be in pretty nice shape. Rear hub bearing seems a bit rough, but seller said he'd throw in an extra wheel. It has a BMX type bar on it, but it's really the frame that interests me most. Please excuse the poor quality pics, but my phone was dying & the flash didn't seem to work quite right. Pitch black out too. So, anyone have any idea what this might be? Seller claims to be all Schwinn except for bars and neck...

imagejpeg_3_9.jpg

imagejpeg_3_10.jpg

imagejpeg_2_105.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

The red bike has a Monark ballooner frame. The springer looks like it might be a repop by the shape of the yolk. I don't think it's a Schwinn springer. Gary

deorman said:
I don't see any Schwinn parts on there. :? Maybe the seat. :roll:

Well, then it must be a Schwinn bike, right?? :lol: I guess some people think that if it's an old bike, it's a Schwinn. It not being a Schwinn doesn't bother me at all. It'd be nice if it was something pretty old though. Not a bad looking frame. Any idea what year it might be? So it might be a Monark?

Chimichanga pointed me in the right direction by suggesting it may be a J.C. Higgins. Looks like it might be. Was a really nice bike...

8907806_1_l.jpg

15ausi.jpg

ugvpichigginsrat-1.jpg

Oh. Yeah, I get a little confused on the whole JC Higgins thing. My Dad explained it to me once. So, anyone think it might be worth getting for the frame? Not sure what wheels it has, but it has an older Bendix rear hub. I think the crankset,stem & bar are aftermarket. Springer is probably a repop. I'm not looking to restore it since it's missing practically everything. Just a nice rider. I'd at least want to find some nice fenders & bars for it.

Well it looks like a cool frame, don't see a 20" bike too often with that higgins-like frame. Looks like the rear wheel is a 36h which is also hard to find and not too common, but if thats silver paint over a cancered rim, its not worth much. And if the front doesnt match and it will bother you, its worth less. I think too often people get hung up on "what is it" that pushes them buy a bike instead of if they really like it. I've got more then a few schwinn middleweight frames laying around that i got because it was "a schwinn" when actually I dig the ballooner straight bar frames more. If you like it get it, if you don't like it but the price is right and you want the parts, get it. If its not what your looking for, pass on it.

I think I'm gonna go check it out again today after work before it gets dark. I couldn't really get a good look at it. If it's not too bad, I'll make him an offer. Looks like it might just be a bunch of parts thrown together, and not in a particularly cool combo. I do dig the frame tho. I'm just afraid it will be too big for the kid & too small for me. I'll update later today. Here's another pic.

imagejpeg_2_109.jpg

OOps. Sorry. Guess I didn't mention it is indeed a 26". I am looking for a bike for a 10yr old though, and happen to check this one out. I'm wondering if it would be a good fit. I'm still trying to figure out bike sizing. I know a 24" would work great for him, but I can't seem to find too many out there.

Still thinking of getting this for a future project. As for the 10yr old I've been trying to find a bike for, ended up breaking down & getting a new Huffy 24" Cranbrook. Found it for $80 at a local closeout warehouse.

imagejpeg_2_112.jpg

Latest posts

Back