SCORE! New Pic 6/2/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "TruSport" from Philadelphia PA
3083451.jpg

Yeah...It's a Reflector...But how can you NOT like it?
6427397.jpg

786002.jpg

1133166.jpg

5231366.jpg

It has New Departure hubs, Michigan "Safety Tread" tires made in West Germany, "Sweetheart" Skip Tooth sprocket, and a basket from Dennis Michael Industries.

Any Idea who made it or what year? The seller tells me someone told him it's 1944. The seller really knew next to nothing about it...only what others told him.

I have already turned the "Lucky 7" seatpost around.

Re: SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
:shock: Nice! And with a long spring saddle. Killer score!

THANKS! And thank you for keeping this under your hat until I got it home. He actually sold the spare seat and oil lamp I told you about some time ago. He was quite reasonable on the price, and gave my wife 2 dozen fresh-from-the-hen-house eggs to boot!

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
outskirtscustoms said:
:shock: Nice! And with a long spring saddle. Killer score!

THANKS! And thank you for keeping this under your hat until I got it home. He actually sold the spare seat and oil lamp I told you about some time ago. He was quite reasonable on the price, and gave my wife 2 dozen fresh-from-the-hen-house eggs to boot!

Very cool.

It has a Schwinn sweet heart sprocket :wink:

Well, it's not a Schwinn, the sweetheart sprocket came on some other bikes - I have a Colson with one that I believe is original to it. The frame looks a little like a Rollfast (Harris or Snyder I don't know) or maybe a Columbia? I'm sure someone will chime in that knows for sure.

NICE find. I'm a sucker for staight downtube prewar bikes, and you got one with flat fender braces and a light! The seat is a score in itself! :mrgreen:

This may help I.D.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29347

rms37 said:
Your bike is the Comet model directly out of the 1939/1940 fall/winter Montgomery Ward catalog. Interestingly this bike:

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28860

is the girls companion model from the same catalog. Both were made for MW by the H.P. Snyder Company

The only significant thing that looks like it has been changed out on your bike is the fork but you have the correct fork on your other bike if you decide to switch them.

tanksalot said:
I think it may be a early 1940s Columbia. The frame looks Columbia & Ive had a Columbia with that Sproket.. :D Its a neat bike..

44? I don't see many bikes with that year. As I understand it they weren't making a lot of bikes during the war were they? That little comment takes nothing away from how cool your reflector is...and the bike that came with it!

now this is what i call a true find i would much rather have found one old bike like this instead of 6 1970's Murray's with nice original paint i would say prewar hard to get a good look at the frame but it don't look like a Schwinn frame better leave that to some one else very nice, good luck with it and enjoy.. :D

The fork crown looks like what Columbia was using in the 30s and 40s on some of their bikes, but usually only on lightweights, not ballooners.

Here's a close up of a 1940s Columbia BB:
2216010564_356c9832d2_o.jpg

If it has one like that it maybe be Westfield built. The knurled ring allows one to adjust the bearings without having to remove the washer or nut. Pretty clever.

Neat bike. I really like the chalk outline...did you have to move the corpse out of the way for that picture?

Just guessing, but rolfast? Not sure, but I really like the body chalk drawing in the first pic :)

Latest posts

Back