JC Higgins Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Did JC Higgins build any 24" Spaceliners? I just put a 26" rim on the back with a 2.35 tire, it's so tight I had to let the air out of the tire to get the axle in the slots on the frame. It's on and clears but the axle is at the back of the slots. Also the kickstand seems short for a 26" bike. Or did the Spaceliner use really small tires. The frame looks to be about the same length as my 26" Murray, but the Murray has 2.125 tires and has plenty of tire room.
Thanks, Kenny
img_2290.jpg

It's a challenge to put a wide tire on a spaceliner. (they originally were middle weight bikes with 26x1.75 tires on them) They are really tight. I wanted a 3" wide tire on my Bad Apple build, so I had to use a 24" wheel & a 24x3 tire. (24x3 tire is about the same outside diameter as a 26) But, I still had to extend the dropouts to fit the tire in there. I was happy with the results & all I had to do was fabricate a couple pieces of metal to move the wheel farther back for more clearance & also drop the rear of the bike a little. The extension moved the back wheel back about 6 inches & about 1.5 to 2" higher to lower the back of the bike. Just thowing out an idea for you.

The tires on and it's not rubbing. If I can't get my chain tight then I'll have a problem because the rim is all the way back. I'll know tomorrow when I try to get the chain on.
Thanks for the ideas,
Kenny

Keep in mind you can get half link chain links, Kind of like a master link but only about a half a link. I have used them in the past dealing with loose chains, with no adjustment left. Hope that is of some help also!

Thanks man.

I also have to deflate my tire to install but the 29er (700x 45) has never rubbed in several hundred miles
IMG_3835.jpg

There is some room to set the wheel/tire back farther in the frame
Spaceliner dropouts have quite a bit extra metal so you can make the slot go farther back

Started with this
Clearence.jpg

Ended with this after only smushing the brace a bit (yes I straightened the wheel/tire After the shot :lol: )
IMG_3824.jpg

When I put on the gearing of 52/14 (originally), knew I needed more room then with a half link
So modified the dropout, the top picture is the result.
Later I went with 52/16 and was able to add a full link and take out the half link out

You can see the axle sits in the dropout differently compared to a stock frame with 26x1.95” tire
IMG_4281.jpg

If you don’t need or want to mod the frame, the half link Pick suggested is the best method maybe with a gear ratio change
Good Luck
Steve

When I was looking at the tire and frame today. I was thinking if I lengthened the dropout I could eliminate a lot of my clearance issues. Lengthening the dropout is a mod. that isn't really noticeable. I'm planning on going for a ride by the weekend. :mrgreen:
Kenny
img_2295.jpg

Rear tire 26 x 2.35
Front tire 27 x 1.25

MplsCoaster said:
You can see the axle sits in the dropout differently compared to a stock frame with 26x1.95” tire
IMG_4281.jpg

If you don’t need or want to mod the frame, the half link Pick suggested is the best method maybe with a gear ratio change
Good Luck
Steve
I would love to find a rear rack arm like that for my spaceliner

Great looking Starliners Steve.
Kenny

kensmurray said:
Great looking Starliners Steve.
Kenny
Thanks a lot, Kenny :D

I like your wheel/tire combo. It looks just right!
The stance looks cool and clean. You nailed the drag bike look. 8)

Dragnusa, I bought the rack at a swap meet for $10 and was told it was an 80’s repop
Here is a better view:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45193
Schwinn American had something like it with reflectors
It has multiple tubes so I thought it matched well with the multi tube Spaceliner frame.

Kenny, I can’t wait to see your ride pictures!
You’ll be amazed at how many people gawk at your bike. :mrgreen:

Please post it here when you’re done “Show your Spaceliners!!”:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a

Steve

Steve thanks for the great comments. It's funny how I came up with the wheel combination. I wanted to build a drag bike from the start. A friend gave me the 27" rim, it was free so I was going to use it for a while. I came across an old industrial bike that was abandoned for the most part. I had to have the rear rim because of the width and a drag bike needs to have the .105" spokes on the rear . I tried to buy the rim but instead I was given the entire bike. When the bike had the rims on it with no tires it looked terrible with the 27" front rim, but it all came together when the 2.35 rear tire was mounted. In the future I'd still like to have an aluminum front rim 27", aluminum forks and handle bars, to continue with the drag theme.
This is my favorite picture.
img_2297.jpg

Nice Spaceliners ! I just finished mine or 98% , I need to go back and make some slight changes. I installed the Jerald slick 26 x 2.125 which is a slightly over sized tire and I had to let the air out to get it in, the fit looks nice and tight .

I don't think their ever done. I'm going tomorrow to get an extended stem so the handlebars will clear the frame. Still need to shorten handle bars a few inches. What will I be changing after the first ride. :mrgreen:
Kenny

Latest posts

Back