Biking with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Back when I was a kid if you heard mention of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome it was always in reference to someone who had been a secretary for over 30 years, but thanks to the home computer and most jobs requiring some sort of computer, a syndrome that use to be reserved for retired old ladies is now something that many young people are having to deal with.

I started getting symptoms back in 2000, I was 23. In the next couple years it was bothering me pretty bad. Most people told me it couldn't be carpal tunnel because I wasn't "old enough" to have it. My wife is a licensed physical therapist and there is a simple test to see if you have carpal tunnel and I passed (or failed) easily proving I have it. While I worked in website and graphic design I had to take steps to ease the pressure on my wrists at teh computer and I slept in 1 or 2 wrist braces at night. Mainly the problem is in my right wrist (from "mousing around").

Anyway, now that I'm not a full time "computer guy" I don't struggle at nights with it anymore, but when I ride my bikes for longer than 15 minutes my hands fall asleep.

Riding position has a lot to do with waht causes the problem to flare up, and the type of grips make a big difference. I was just wondering if anyone else dealt with this and what you did while riding to help ease the pain? Mostly I have to give a hand a break for a while and ride one handed while the circulation comes back that hand.

On my mountain bikes I have old Serfas on one bike and Ourys on another and they are both great for relief.

I have issues with hands, wrist whatever after 30+ years working with hand tools I guess. Anyway my hands go numb when riding among other tasks. I'm thinking of trying grips like these that came on my Wife's new bike.
P1010542.jpg

I have wrist problems too. There is nothing I can do about mine though. My right hand is always numb and it only flares up when turning something. I would recommend grips or bite ur lip and take it like a man.

I have the same thing, mine showed up about 15 years ago. Combination of using high vibration air tools, then switching occupations to electronics where I use small hand tools and computers.

I've finally gotten to the point that I dont need the braces... only occasionally at night when I get a flareup.

But yeah... my hands fall asleep when riding, most of the time I will ride one handed, but what Ive found works is that if I ride with a loose grip. I know that sounds easy... but I constantly catch myself clinching down on the grips. If i can remind myself to loosen my grip, the problem isnt anywhere near as bad.

My wife gets Raynaud's Syndrome (numb hands and white fingers) and it scares the crap out of me when it happens
I think some of it has to do with some upper back issues. Ride position is critical for her too.
Thick grips help but are not a solution (for her)

Unfortuneately it means we don't go on many longer bike rides.
After about 2-3 miles she starts shaking her hands alternatively
Otherwise she doesn't have too many occasions of it except sometimes in the winter
Or when she sleeps with 2 pillows (stressful upper back angle, I think)

Best of luck on finding some relief.
I'll be watching to see if there is anything more I can do for her.
Thanks for posting
Steve

My mountain bike is bad about that but since finishing my Lowrider I don't ride it much. Might have to switch grips and see if that helps.

Yeah, loose grip is key, but that's hard if you are doing "spirited" riding, like mountain biking. I notice my hands go numb a lot when I'm on the tall bike, but when I'm that high in the air, I don't keep a very loose grip! Any leaned over riding position (like on my mountain bikes) puts more weight onto my palm, but that isn't neccessarily bad since with the presure there I can loosen my grip and still feel secure, and the gel soft grips I use help a lot, the new Ourys (just old school BMX style) actually do better than my softer old Serfas.

I've seen those grips above with the buldge on them and I'd be willing to try on a cruiser, but not a mountain bike.

I'm curious how my build-off bike will treat me with those huge apes since my wrist won't be bent at all.

Yeah my mountain bike also has a 3" drop bar on it which puts more weight on my palms. The suspension helps but I'm just using stock Walmart bike grips I had laying around. I'm going to have to get something better for it one of these days.

Coppertonecollegate017.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
yoothgeye said:
I'm curious how my build-off bike will treat me with those huge apes since my wrist won't be bent at all.
You'll have to pedal really hard and fast to get the blood pumping that high to your hands :D[/quote}

And you knees will start feeling it.

My knees recently started acting up after riding a bike that was too small. I am rehabing/strengthening right now. Driving to to work this last week is the most that I have driven in the last 10+years.

With your wife being a licensed physical therapist my opinion on this will probably go over like a fart in church at your house but here it is anyway... About a year ago I went to a chiropractor for back pain that wouldn't go away. I tried for 6 months to nurse it back to health but it didn't get better. I had no history of back pain and had never been to a chiropractor before that but I needed to do something. I knew what I would get if I went to the doctor and I'm not into taking a bunch of drugs that are really bad for you to only mask the issue. After about 3 months of adjustments my body started changing in amazing ways, alot more then just my back. Long story short, prior to going to the chiro I had what the doctors were calling the begining of carpal tunnel. (I have been working on computers for a living for almost 18 years.) All of my symptons have completely gone away. I spoke to my chiro about it and he was not at all surprised. I should tell you that I feel very fortunate to have found the chiro I use, he is more about overall health then just back issues. He sees more people for issues that are not back related then are back related. I guess what I am trying to tell you is before you do any drastic treatment with meds or surgery try to find a chiropractor that is interested in what I am telling you. My chiro did give me his medical explanation to this but it was over my head and I'm not going to try and pretend like I remember. I understand that for the most part doctors/PT and chiropractors are like oil and water but it was the best thing I have ever done.
This is no BS, I went for my back and he had it fixed in a month but I continue to go over a year later for all of these...
1. I have stopped taking three medications for High BP and I am completely controlling it with weekly adjustments
2. Carpal tunnel symptoms are completely gone
3. I have quit all of the different medications I was taking to control severe psorias and now it is under control with weekly adjustments
4. Heart burn issues have completely gone away
5. Hip and knee pain completely gone
6. And more

I still don't believe it but Im telling you this is the truth.
I think its very unfortunate that the medical industry completely discredits chiropractors becase of the fear of losing money to them but its happening.
I have become friends with my chiro and we hang out so I would be happy to get some better info from him if your interested.
Sorry for the rant but people need to know, chiropractors can help you with almost every ailment that the doctors will just prescribe drugs for that do nothing to help the issue. The drugs mask the issue and cause new issues.
SEE A CHIROPRACTOR PEOPLE!

I outright refuse to go to the doctors now days, Seems like every few years their "Drug of the day" gets recalled and you hear on the TV.... If you or a loved one have taken __________ and experienced heart attack, stroke, or death call this law firm. I'll take my chances with Jack Daniels and duct taping my limbs back on.

Last time I went to the hospital was when I flipped a van end over end. I walked away from the crash and was fine other than a cut on my back. Equaled out to: 7 stitches, a quick 10 minute ride in an ambulance, cat scan, and released within a few hours. The bill? $17,000 :shock: And their stitches look like they were done by Helen Keller.

I have since done ALL my own stitches and they don't look half as bad as theirs.

highship said:
With your wife being a licensed physical therapist my opinion on this will probably go over like a fart in church at your house but here it is anyway... About a year ago I went to a chiropractor for back pain that wouldn't go away. I tried for 6 months to nurse it back to health but it didn't get better. I had no history of back pain and had never been to a chiropractor before that but I needed to do something. I knew what I would get if I went to the doctor and I'm not into taking a bunch of drugs that are really bad for you to only mask the issue. After about 3 months of adjustments my body started changing in amazing ways, alot more then just my back. Long story short, prior to going to the chiro I had what the doctors were calling the begining of carpal tunnel. (I have been working on computers for a living for almost 18 years.) All of my symptons have completely gone away. I spoke to my chiro about it and he was not at all surprised. I should tell you that I feel very fortunate to have found the chiro I use, he is more about overall health then just back issues. He sees more people for issues that are not back related then are back related. I guess what I am trying to tell you is before you do any drastic treatment with meds or surgery try to find a chiropractor that is interested in what I am telling you. My chiro did give me his medical explanation to this but it was over my head and I'm not going to try and pretend like I remember. I understand that for the most part doctors/PT and chiropractors are like oil and water but it was the best thing I have ever done.
This is no BS, I went for my back and he had it fixed in a month but I continue to go over a year later for all of these...
1. I have stopped taking three medications for High BP and I am completely controlling it with weekly adjustments
2. Carpal tunnel symptoms are completely gone
3. I have quit all of the different medications I was taking to control severe psorias and now it is under control with weekly adjustments
4. Heart burn issues have completely gone away
5. Hip and knee pain completely gone
6. And more

I still don't believe it but Im telling you this is the truth.
I think its very unfortunate that the medical industry completely discredits chiropractors becase of the fear of losing money to them but its happening.
I have become friends with my chiro and we hang out so I would be happy to get some better info from him if your interested.
Sorry for the rant but people need to know, chiropractors can help you with almost every ailment that the doctors will just prescribe drugs for that do nothing to help the issue. The drugs mask the issue and cause new issues.
SEE A CHIROPRACTOR PEOPLE!
I've been going to a chiropractor off and on most of my life. Im always amazed at the things that can be fixed with a good chiro.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My carpal is under control because if I have a flare up I can calm it by wearing my brace at night and by doing exercises. I've never heard of a medication used to treat CTS, but there is a surgery, but it is not lasting.

I'm really not asking carpal advice, I understand that part, I was just wondering if others get symptoms from riding and what they've done to ease it. Like I've stated, certain grips help a lot and riding position.

As soon as I read your first post, I was going to suggest the grips that Randy pictured.
I'll tell you that they really make a difference on bars that are pretty much straight side to side, or MTB "riser" bars.
If your bars are swept back, I doubt that they would be of any help.
The rear oblong part gives you a "wrist rest" of sorts.

They are on our hybreds, and I put a pair on my Diamond Back build.

Latest posts

Back