Cresent find UPDATE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Found it in a neighbors basement. He told me it was his brothers circa 1952. Made in Westerfield Mass so I assume it's a Columbia. I think it may be older judging by the rims and the grips. The rear hub is a new departure with an oiling port. Can anybody shed some light on this one. It looks like it will clean up real nice. thats for looking- Spokes

col1.jpg

col2.jpg

col3.jpg

col4.jpg

Re: Cresent find

I have the pre war version of this bike .. I believe this is a rare Crescent Columbia badge ..So far Ive only seen the one I have & the Badge you have on a Columbia..Nice find... :D PS looking at the rear facing drop outs & the skip tooth chain .. This looks like a early Post War bike ?
The Red bike is my Crescent bike ..
0036.jpg

it's most likely a pre-war right?... being that it has a skip tooth.

It could go either way the fork the kickstand scream prewar.. The prewar version I have has a totally different Crescent badge ..Also the bike found in this post has a early post war color I believe ? The bike is also has no tank rack ect. So I was thinking it may be early post war ( being a Prewar left over frame ) made just after the War?? Both of the bikes in my photo are both prewar & both Do Not have skip Tooth Chains.. I used to think most if not all prewar bikes where skip tooth .I dont think that any more .. My Higgins Colorflow from 1949 -51 is a Skip tooth bike & my pre war Columbia bikes plus my 1920 Mead Ranger Are Not Skip tooth .. :? .
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
it's most likely a pre-war right?... being that it has a skip tooth.

Nice score spokes! :D A little polish will make that bike look like new! :wink:

Without knowing the serial number I'll hazard a guess of 1941 or early 1942 unequiped model (never came with a tank) I think Crescent may have been a hardware store that Westfield made bikes for

Report this postReply with quoteRe: 1939 Hawthorne Comet #3 - El Torreon
by Spokeshave on 29 Jul 2012 15:27

Wow! You never find stuff like that in these parts.

So much for that theory! Those are great bikes and as you can see, if you choose, they dress up even nicer. Columbias are first rate bikes though. Really nice piece to hang on to.

i was going to say - it looks like the men's version of the 1946 I just posted.

skoda said:
Report this postReply with quoteRe: 1939 Hawthorne Comet #3 - El Torreon
by Spokeshave on 29 Jul 2012 15:27

Wow! You never find stuff like that in these parts.

So much for that theory! Those are great bikes and as you can see, if you choose, they dress up even nicer. Columbias are first rate bikes though. Really nice piece to hang on to.
Ha ,you got me Skoda. Yeah the old man I got this from recognized my last name.That's why he wanted me to get it. We was a student of my grandfather back in 1937! Now Gramps passed in 1964 before I was born but I like to think he helped get me this ride.

All cleaned and greased. After 50 plus years of sitting updide down in the coal bin it's back on the road
PictureorVideo027.jpg

Spokes...you da man!...keep'in it clean & simple in OG style...nice...Pappy 8)

Nice jobs spokes, looks brand new! :D I could see me riding that in the driveway :lol:

Latest posts

Back