Dual suspension cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend complaining about how she hated messing with gears on her mountain bike but liked the dual suspension. So I was outside moving some bikes Id got in the last couple days and I started thinking about what my friend had said and it got me thinking. I got this bike in the other day thats rideable but the guy that gave it to me had started stripping it for parts for another bike, so Im thinking why not try and turn it into a Dual suspension cruiser. Has anyone done this before?
Heres the bike before the cables and grips was stripped off
bike.jpg

There's guys out running full suspension mountain bikes as singlespeeds if that's what you mean (and you're keeping the brakes). Still need a tensioner, but you could shorten the chain and use the rear derailleur adjsuting the stops to get the chainline.

http://www.cyclesymphony.com/blog/?p=534

P1040347.JPG

That Mongoose has just the right frame for such a conversion given its horizontal dropouts and having the bottom bracket unified into the rear triangle so your axle to bottom bracket length is constant and won't mess with your chain tension. I say do it!

the_undecider said:
That Mongoose has just the right frame for such a conversion given its horizontal dropouts and having the bottom bracket unified into the rear triangle so your axle to bottom bracket length is constant and won't mess with your chain tension. I say do it!

Good point! You wouldn't need a tensioner on that one. Stick a coaster brake 26" in there, and do away with all cables!

Took it for granted that thing had vertical dropouts, but the use of the rear derailleur was meant for chainline adaption as stated if using present crank and dropping rings plus using present hub. Coaster would need to be spacered for 135 and likely need a one piece crank to get a good chainline to match. Doable either way.

This may sound complicated, But has she thought of just leaving it in the gear that she likes and not shifting. That way there is no messing with the gears.
I have the same Mongoose. There is no adjustment for rear wheel, an adapter or welding would have to be done on rear swing arm to accept a coaster brake and adjust chain to one speed.

socal_jack said:
Took it for granted that thing had vertical dropouts, but the use of the rear derailleur was meant for chainline adaption as stated if using present crank and dropping rings plus using present hub. Coaster would need to be spacered for 135 and likely need a one piece crank to get a good chainline to match. Doable either way.

These Mongeese (plural for Mongoose) XR-75s have horizontal drops, so chain tension won't be a issue. The rear triangle is steel, so cold setting it to 120mm wouldn't hurt it. It still might be easier to add spacers to the axle if there is enough space.

The Next Avalon is a dual suspension cruiser. I see them frequently on CL in barely used condition for $60.00 One of the problems with that rear suspension is that the shock can loose an inch of its travel as soon as a heavy person sits on the bike.Aluminum and lightweight, could be something to work with.

There was a member that added a banana seat to a full suspension bike like yours. it looked surprisingly cool.

There's a guy in Pacific Beach, Ca that has a patented rear suspension system for bikes. His company is called Rusty Spokes and the bikes are called Softcruisers. Maybe you can get some inspiration from his work. For some reason, he only has a couple models with dual suspension. http://www.softcruiser.com/Gallery.php

Latest posts

Back