What's am I doing wrong....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I can't get my fork on without it being wobbly and if I take out the wobble, then it's stiff as heck! I have the cups on either end of the fork tube and the bearings on both ends but I have to tighten the race bearing (or whatever it's called) so tight to take out the wobble that it makes the whole front end stiff. Then when I tighten down the crown it makes it even stiffer.... this is on a "38 Elgin. Any advice?

Are the bearings installed upside down (either one or both)? Seems like that would be hard to do, but I have to think about which way they go every time I put them in.

Toeslider said:
Are the bearings installed upside down (either one or both)? Seems like that would be hard to do, but I have to think about which way they go every time I put them in.

Well... which way are they supposed to go? I have them so the non bearing side is against the head tube cups. So essentially, bearings up on both ends. Is this wrong?

Haven't had time to flip the bearings over yet... but if it does work I'm going to feel like an idiot :oops: But glad at the same time 8)

Like this is right in the bearing cups.
DSCF0002-121.jpg

I think I got it felllas... My bearings were in wrong to begin but I think I was having a problem with the cups since they were prewar and the bearings were new. I used brand new cups and shipped them to fit (that's the reason why I didn't use them in the first place..oh well) and put the bearings in that came with the cups and it finally seems to be working now. Not as free stearing as I'd like it, but perhaps it needs a breaking in period? It feels much smoother now, like the bearings are actually doing their job which is good. Thanks for the help as always!

Latest posts

Back