Painting old vinyl/plastic seats

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've used acrylic paint, the kind you get at craft stores in the small bottles, to paint my seats. The paint stays flexible and holds up well. I usually give it 3 or 4 thin coats, 30 minutes between coats, then wax the seat with car wax after it has dried well. The seat doesn't get slippery with the wax, it just gives it a shiny appearance. I buy this paint at walmart in the crafts section along with the cheap foam brushes. Here are some that I have done:

The left seat was white, the one on the right was black.
no7gw1.jpg

My crash rail seat from a 64 starlet, before and after.
fjdbas.jpg

w1wuc6.jpg

This seat was originally burgundy.
zv3ert.jpg

This seat was originally blue and white.
2wgcayw.jpg

It hold up well. I've put about 100 miles on my Schwinn since I painted it and it still shines. One seat was scratched during our move, but I touched it up and you can't tell the difference.

I just scrubbed them with soap and water, but they usually just had years of dirt on them. I think armorall permeates, it sinks in, so maybe a degreaser, like used on pots and pans might get it off.

dont use any kind of paint thinner, even shellac thinner, as it breaks down the vinyl. if you scrub it a bit, you can see the color of the seat on the rag. :shock:

Drew the auto stores also have vinyl uppolstery spray paint/dye that sticks well.

I also did the seat and handlegrips on last year's build off bike with the same kind of paint:

15p2849.jpg

Latest posts

Back