USING A THREADLESS HEADSET ON AN OLD FRAME

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
This guy really over explains it, but he shows the proper way to tighten them up (at the 3:45 mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LTCthtmjD0

Yes, that's a good but long video. Fortunately he says up front where to skip to to see the procedure.

When I first started looking at cruisers I saw that some were threaded and some where threadless and had to figure out what they meant and which was better. Turns out it doesn't make much difference for a cruiser other than parts. On my stretch cruiser, which is threaded, I wanted the handlebars lower than I could get with a regular stem so I used a threaded-to-threadless converter and a BMX style stem. Basically the converter works just like a regular quill stem but gives you a place to mount the threadless stem.

Depending on which frame you've got, Steve, you might still have to shim the 32.5mm threadless.

The fork is a 1" threadless? Why not take it somewhere to get threaded?

Bicycle808 said:
Depending on which frame you've got, Steve, you might still have to shim the 32.5mm threadless.

The fork is a 1" threadless? Why not take it somewhere to get threaded?

Part of it is that I want to see if I can get it to work. I also want to use a threadless stem I have.

If you don't want to mess with a star nut, these compression plugs work good and a lot less hassle plus leave the fork unadulterated in case you want to swap or sell it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profile-Des...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a7e5137f

$(KGrHqV,!lUFC)8E+(urBQvpjO,kZ!~~60_12.JPG

I know A-headset made them for standard(you know, old Schwinn size) about 2007 or so. I have one on one of my bikes but don't want to pull it apart to get the part #.
I have done, as stated before, and just filed the threads off a standard threaded headset and used a cap/bolt/star nut to convert them to threadless. I've have had one on my bike for about 2 years and haven't had a single problem with it yet. The only 1" threadless I can get around here are the 1" for road bikes which are 1/16" smaller than the old 1". :roll:

Well, to give you all an update, I received the threadless headset in the mail and the cups turned out to be too small for the frame.

Ironically enough, I ended up searching for "Higgins Headset" and came across a post I had made many moons ago asking the very same question for a friend of mine. :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14947

It turns out that I would also need to run these to get this set up to work....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... FP:US:1123

tuga said:
Told ya like 20 posts back ;)

Yep...you were right...give yourself a hand. :lol:

I ended up picking up that Felt frame so I'm not going to use the Higgins frame I have afterall.

Just wanted to let folks know what happened. :wink:

Latest posts

Back