Any ideas on a frame for this project?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my next project I'd like to tackle a matt black and copper bike that utilizes those awesome 26" copper wheels from 3G. Below is the overall look I'd like to achieve, but I'm having trouble sourcing a frame like the one I have in mind. I know I've seen some of you guys with frames like this but I can't get many actual makes. The few I've been able to make sorts of, like Iver Johnson, Elgin, and Sears, have been going for ludicrous amounts of money online. I know Worksman makes frame that sort of look the same but I really like the straight bottom tube that connects the head tube and BB.

Can you guys offer some info on some different frames that have this look while being able to fit those rims? I've been able to find most of the parts I'd like to use, copper and black chain, black leather saddle with copper rivets and rails, the 3G copper rims, and even the copper house numbers for the number plate. I realize that the only way to fit those rims may be heavy modification to an existing frame, which sadly I don;t have access to just yet but I'll take any info ya'll would be willing to give.

CopperandBlack_zpse2010cd8.jpg

An Elgin Motorbike frame is kinda what your looking for. They will probably take the rims
your wanting to use. They are a little pricy sometimes , but if you hold off a while they pop
up in the for sale section for a reasonable price. They aren't really rare.
elginmotorbikebuild004.jpg

bestsofar001.jpg

doneelgin008.jpg

:shock: ...holy moly that's exactly what I'm looking for. are they yours? beautiful bikes. what color is on the one with the snakeskin seat? it almost looks like rose gold. I guess I'll be holding off then, the wait kills me!

I know black crown tattoo had one like it up for sale a while back (i think his is an iver johnson) but he was selling the whole bike and i really only needed the frame. plus, it looks so dang cool the way it is, I'd almost feel terrible changing it.

They have long since sold. The color was just a silver brake caliper paint. It had the copper parts.
There were a bunch of companies that made the same frame, in fact without a headbadge
it might be hard to identify what kind you have. The older ones had big thin rims and wouldn't
let you use the wheels you would want to. Good luck. Post in the wanted section and you will
probably find one.

Many, many thanks uncle stretch, I really appreciate the input! Ironically there are 2 (an Elgin and a Hawthorne) on the local CL but they are complete bikes and are going for around $250-$300 so I doubt the owner will want to part them out. By the pictures it does seem that the Elgin would be better suited to run some wider rims and tires so I sent him an email and offered him $100 for the frame just for the heck of it. I'll throw a plea into the wanted section as well and see what happens. Thank again!

Latest posts

Back