bike flip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the recent sale of my bike Social Deviation then the refurbish job of my neighbors bike my wife thought I might be able to make a little side cash selling custom creations.
Told her of my concerns with liability should a buyer do something stupid,get hurt and try to sue me. She suggested just doing some minor customizations to give the bike some style and make it look different from an off the shelf bike.
So here is my trial run to see if I can keep cost under control but come up with something interesting. Found this bike at a thrift store. It had all its parts in pretty good shape and was able to talked them down in price a little.
Since seeing Kreep's version of a truss bike a while back been wanting to do one and this seemed like the perfect project for it.

Here is what I started with:
Bikeflip_1_zps68fd5775.jpg

A little sanding and addition of bars:
bikeflip_2_zps52a55ba6.jpg

A little bondo and painting is next. Then the forks. I have some blade ones that I am going to add some truss rods to. Pictures to come.

Looks good Steve! I have had tons of people want me to make them a truss frame after they see mine. Its a simple modification to make a cool looking bike. Looks like your on the right track,let me know if you need any parts. Look forward to seeing the final product.
-Kreep-

I think if I dipped bikes in gold they still wouldn't sell around here. I'll be interested in how this turns out for you.

U. Stretch,
Yours looks more traditional then mine, from the pictures I have seen. Nice.

Kreep, Looking for a pair of metal pedals something like these,
mks-touring.jpg

Also interested in an older looking front sprocket. Anything in stock?

Yoothgeye, First one I just sold I listed for $500 and ended up selling for $350. Since it was all trash picked parts made some money.
Had 2 email only inquires with no follow up. One guy stopped by and looked at it but no sale. Then another guy came to see it and
ended up buying.
Will see how this one goes. I have a gut feeling that $300-350 is about all you can really get for a used cruiser. After that
the Walmart effect kicks in.

Steve, I assume your going to need 1/2" pedals? I will look,chances are slim to find that style for a one piece crank. I had to convert mine from 9/16" to 1/2". I have some pedals that will work if you want to convert them(or I can do it for you). And I have a ton of sprockets you can look through. If you don't have my number anymore, just PM me.
-Kreep-

Thanks Kreep. I will get in touch with you when I am at that stage.
Got the framed bondo'd and primed. Need to do some glaze work and wet sanding but it is looking good so far.
Also roughed in the fork. Here are some images.
Frame_primed_zps5a10032b.jpg

fork_detail_zps8ce940f6.jpg

Fork_finials_zps6c4e20e4.jpg

Was thinking of going with a maroon color for the frame with cream wheels but finding it harder then expected to get the tires in the size I want (26 x 1 3/8). Might need to rethink the color scheme. Any one know of any?

Thanks Kota. I saw those but have my heart set on cream if possible. White is a little to bright for me but may need to be flexible.

Latest posts

Back