Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill in Houston said:
those bearings look pretty tough. are they like these? http://www.jensonusa.com/YST/Yst-Sealed ... -WBearings
do you think they will be smoother than the originals?

is there anything wrong with the stock headset?

that is the bearing set, yes. The way I figure the cost of the bike is kept so low by putting the lowest grade components available, 110 bb? 1 1/8th threaded headset? - bonkers sizes if you ask me - with few options to upgrade. The YST bearing set feels pretty substantial & smooth so the upgrade is cheap. I found the headset at a bmx shop in town, NOS - way nice & for cheap too. Check out the bearings alone:
bearings_zpsb6de8885.jpg

so why not, right? :D

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Got the yellow chain today from eBay, two days from Denver to Atlanta, SWEET!
http://stores.ebay.com/luxlowbikes

Had to remove one link and on it went. The 36/22 setup is super easy to pedal, this is a cruiser, not a racer, so it works out nicely for me. I've taken the front end apart and greased everything up. I've got a crank puller, but ordered a BB remover tool so I can service it 'properly' :roll: The hub howled under downhill braking, so I"m gonna get it serviced, that's beyond my current skill set. :oops:

Here's some updated pics, BTW my daughter saw it was a Mongoose and has named it 'Rikki Tikki Tavi'.

Cheers,
Dr.T

Looks good like every thing you have done to it.

Just did the bb. I found plenty of grease but an oddly tightened set up. I dunno what results you guys got adjusting the stock bb but the new YST set is smoooooth. Gonna keep the stock set as a back up.

The headset has to wait for the shop tomorrow to press the cups & seat the crown race.

Really neat to see the transformations these are going through. Tempted to do something different with mine but I think for now I'll just swap out the rear sprocket and keep trying to ride it off-road. Already changed the 18t to 20t and will be picking up a 22t soon.
Tore apart the BB today and there was some grease but things had already started to rust since I got the BB wet the other day.

If you haven't seen it yet, my riding video.

P1120380.JPG

P1120621.jpg

dracothered said:
Muscle on roids...

attachment.php

Im liking this idea! Anyone done the banana seat in real life yet? The interweb is telling me the local Wallyworld has some of these in stock!If I go down there and see a green one I dont know what will happen. :|

El Whoppo said:
dracothered said:
Muscle on roids...

attachment.php

Im liking this idea! Anyone done the banana seat in real life yet? The interweb is telling me the local Wallyworld has some of these in stock!If I go down there and see a green one I dont know what will happen. :|

Well I'm going to be doing it in the build off very soon, here is an idea of what it will really look like.

Banana%20Seat%201.jpg

Here are a couple photos in the sun. I'm going to have a friend of mine snap some better photos with his camera, as these were taken with my phone.
Beast%20Painted.jpg

Paint%20Close%20Up.jpg

Nice flake job. I remember painting my Screamer 2 with a similar blue flake as a kid.

That blue does look awesome, I liked the stock blue the best out of the 3 original colors, but yours is a lot better :D Gets rid of the flat/satin look.

Had a set of GT knock offs and some H/W grips, added a 20t Bendix sprocket and took the decals off. There was more grease than I expected from all the talk, I think the headsets were tight on these things to keep the fork from flopping around in shipping honestly, but it was tight. Haven't messed with the crank at all except to take the L /R stickers off. Got some decals on the way to monster truck it up some but I need to have the actual BIGFOOT decals made up still.

IMG_7596_zpsc3fcd57f.jpg

WillisFL said:
Here are a couple photos in the sun. I'm going to have a friend of mine snap some better photos with his camera, as these were taken with my phone.
Beast%20Painted.jpg

Paint%20Close%20Up.jpg
Cool!

Thanks for the compliments. It's actually a color shifting paint, it shifts from deep blue, purple and a deep red. I used dupli-color adhesion promoter, a black base coat (which is needed to create the "shifting" effect) the actual color and then a couple coats of clear. I guess I should try to take pics at different angles to see if the other colors show up in pics.

Latest posts

Back