Educate me on chains.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought all 1/2" chain was the same. I was looking at the KMC Chain web site and they have several terms I didn't know were used to describe chains.

Half link
1/2" x 1/8"
1/2" x 3/16"
1/2" x 3/32"

I thought all chain was the same and you just needed the right length. Someone fill me in please.

Half link chain is used mainly on BMX bikes and single speed bikes. It allows for more precise chain length adjustment and can eliminate the need for chain tensioners.

From the Sheldon Brown website http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html

Modern bicycles use roller chain to connect the cranks to the rear wheel. Chain drives are among the most efficient means of power transmission known.

Chain size is specified by pitch and width. The pitch is the distance between rollers (1/2" on all modern bicycle chain). The width is the internal width where the sprocket teeth fit in. Bicycle chain comes in four basic widths:

• 3/16" (.1875", 4.76 mm), used until the middle of the 20th century on many bicycles; this was inch-pitch chain.
• 1/8" (0.125", 3.18 mm) chain is used on most single-speed bicycles, and bicycles with internal gearing.
• 3/32" (0.094", 2.30 mm) chain is used on derailer equipped bicycles that have more than 3 cogs at the rear.
• Even somewhat narrower chain, typically .090" or 2.29 mm between the inner plates, is used for derailer-equipped bicycles with 10 or more sprockets at the rear.

Chains for derailer applications also come in various external widths. Newer clusters which have more sprockets use chain with thinner side plates and with rivets whose ends are flush with the side plates.

So a 3/16" is the widest and likely what I have on my vintage single speed bikes. Narrower chains are needed on bikes with cassettes where the space between the gears is limited. The narrow chains will work in place of the wider chains if need be.

Is that correct?

I understand. A multi speed bike has thinner gears as well due to space limitations. Unless I have a bike with a cassette, I just need the thicker chain and that's all there is to it.

Unlikely you have a 3/16, those are big burly chains used mostly for bmx, the kmc 3/16 do not come with enough links for many if not most cruisers. 1/8 are the most common for cruisers. I have seen some war time cruisers that had 3/16 but fairly uncommon. Many single speeds(not coaster brake variety) use 3/32 chains

Stinky_Sullivan said:
So a 3/16" is the widest and likely what I have on my vintage single speed bikes. Narrower chains are needed aon bikes with cassettes where the space between the gears is limited. The narrow chains will work in place of the wider chains if need be.

Is that correct?

don't try to mix and match front chain rings and rear cogs (single speed and multi-speed deraileur sized cogs). the teeth are different widths and require the correct width chain. refer to old skool's post.

If you have a skip tooth (inch pitch) bike the teeth are 3/16, but it is possible to also have a half inch pitch chain at 3/16 on some older bikes but the chains are not interchangeable. The portion of Old Skool's post below is only partially correct as it relates to inch pitch but as you saw on the KMC page it's still available and used in BMX in half inch pitch

• 3/16" (.1875", 4.76 mm), used until the middle of the 20th century on many bicycles; this was inch-pitch chain.

Latest posts

Back