multi speed skiptooth hubs?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are there any multi speed skiptooth hubs out there or any that anyone has converted successfully? I really want more speed out of my rat but also cruise so I don't want it to be killer to pedal at low speed. I really like my skiptooth setup but just wondering if I can get something like a sturmey archer 3 speed with a skiptooth cog? Let me know if you have any leads,pics,deals, or swap info. Thanks

I converted a 2 speed Bendix kickback to skip tooth. Requires some machining. I removed the pressed on gear from the kickback drive screw. I got a skip tooth New Departure gear and turned the inside on a lathe to match the kickback drive screw diameter. Pressed it on then gave it a shot of braze. It's been on there for 15 yrs. and still works great. Gary

You'd probably be best off machining something unless you're willing to drop a few bills. The most common is a New Departure 2-speed kit. In its complete state, they run 250$+. Don't even get me started on the Musselman 2-speed. They do exist though!

Jpromo said:
Don't even get me started on the Musselman 2-speed. They do exist though!
Don't get me started either... I traded one away for a 28" clad wheel and it turned out the wheel was junk. One of my bigger screwings with bike junk. It even had the original box. Oh I can't even stand thinking about it... wonder what it was resold for???

here it was... :cry:

Ichi Bikes sells a skiptooth sprocket for a Nexus hub, I installed one on a three speed and am running it on my RRBO bike. I think it was around $25.
null_zpsad8fac7e.jpg

Hmmm, I like the ichi deal but I'm trying to stay with at least a somewhat vintage hub. I'm thinking all try it with a Sturmy Archer 3speed. If it fails I'll move in for a nexus setup. That musselman 2 speed is pretty wicked! ...... deal though.

Sturmey archer made screw on drivers, they take a regular screw on cog but they are hard to find.
The three pin cogs shown will work on any of the three pin multi speed hubs. Also you can take any multi speed hub that has an even number tooth cog and just grind off every other tooth.

frameteam2003 said:
Sturmey archer made screw on drivers, they take a regular screw on cog but they are hard to find.
The three pin cogs shown will work on any of the three pin multi speed hubs. Also you can take any multi speed hub that has an even number tooth cog and just grind off every other tooth.
Get ready for a bunch of people to tell you that this setup will be noisy and cause excessive wear on the chain. I did it though and had no issues at all. In fact I used the setup for years and it was no noisier and caused no extra wear at all. I'd say it's the cheapest way to go skiptooth without sacrificing the hubs you want to use, since you can always go back to a correct cog as long as they are something available,( i.e. not rare)

Latest posts

Back