new project, don't know what it is

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked this up yesterday from the local auction:

no head badge. looks like it's been brushed blue over white, and the pedals are JC Higgins. has 24" rims but given the frame and forks appearances i think it was originally equipped with 26's.

I think your right about the size. definitely looks to be a 26. I would say that the frame looks like a Schwinn? but the forks don't match that. chainring looks Schwinn. closer pics would definitely help :?

I'd say so far everyone's been correct about this one. It's some sort of Schwinn straight-bar frame, and while it's tough to pin down to an individual model, it could be one of these:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1961_07.html

(Tornado in the lower left of that page.)

Find the serial number. Early bikes have it under the crank, mid-year bikes like I think this one is, have it by the left rear axle nut. May require some paint scraping.

You're missing the correct Schwinn forged fork, and boy does it need a sandblast and repaint... so do whatever you want with it.

And ditch that ugly Raleigh chainguard! BTW those 24" wheels might just come in handy for fitting 24x3 fat tires... just saying. :)

thanks for the info so far guys, i haven't got a chance to get better pics or search for a serial (which was my next logical thing to try anyways).

NLCTVWguy said:
..BTW those 24" wheels might just come in handy for fitting 24x3 fat tires... just saying. :)

when i was looking at it on the auction site that was my first though too. :) unfortunately they're both way out of true (not sure if they're usuable or not) and the rear hub i'm pretty sure is scrap metal. but some Thick Bricks are definitely on the wish list for this one.

the pending plan is to lightly sand the frame and leave it as-is (i love patina), otherwise i'm not sure where i wanna go with it. given its a straight bar frame i feel like i should to it board track style, but i haven't convinced myself just yet.

does the seat look familiar at all? can't decide if i want to strip whats left of the seat cover and run a bare pan, or recover it with some leather. that's what really drew me to the bike though, especially for the $18 i snagged the whole thing for.

Latest posts

Back