There's a Ghost in the Barn!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well not a ghost exactly, but a Phantom!

Another Wisconsin barn hanger. Looks like a parts bike. Fairly early Phantom with fenders, light and rack from an Autocycle or similar model with painted fenders. I can see a phantom outline (see what I just did there:21:) of pinstripes under the black paint on the fenders. It came with a correct rear rack and light.

newphantom.jpeg

Keep the rack and fenders! Put on a soft cushy seat and ride!

The plan is to do something similar to my Schwinn Hornet (below, now sold) with the latest Phantom score. I will probably sell off the fenders and rack. Dunno.

Funny, but I bought the first Phantom with the intention of redoing my Hornet build. Never started because I couldn't find a tank. In the process of finding a tank, I found second bike.

IMG_6557.JPG

Awesome ride!

I was just pleasantly surprised by the Phantom's tail light. :113:

I thought it might be a repop, so I took it off the rack to take a look at the guts. Not only is it not a reproduction, it it the rare brake light model with the remote switch that mounts on the axle! The wire was tucked inside the eerily clean battery tray. And the crazy thing? It actually works!

The light has a three position switch. Off is the first position. Second position, the light comes on when the switch is grounded. Third position, the light is always on, but gets brighter when the switch is grounded. Pretty nifty little setup. Sadly, the part of the switch that activates the light is missing. Not even sure what the part looks like?

image.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg
image_3.jpeg

Well not a ghost exactly, but a Phantom!

Another Wisconsin barn hanger. Looks like a parts bike. Fairly early Phantom with fenders, light and rack from an Autocycle or similar model with painted fenders. I can see a phantom outline (see what I just did there:21:) of pinstripes under the black paint on the fenders. It came with a correct rear rack and light.

newphantom.jpeg
If you ever feel the need to get rid of that front fender(don't need the light or the parts for it), I need it for a 52 hollywood I'm building for the wife. Have $ and stuff to trade.

Ooh! On second thought, the rear light may not be original to the bike. The bike dates to August, 1952. Were these still being used in'52?
Phantoms came out in '49 so the early style brake light seems right for your '52 bike to me. Gary

Just let me know if you do, I may want them anyway. I can make it but my free time to do so is dwindling more and more. They might not even need shipped since I have family in Portland.
As for the taillight, yes it is period correct.

Latest posts

Back