Paint it or leave it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a neat typhoon frame from August 69 (2 months older than me!) and it's got a lot of personality. Should I paint it or leave it as is? What do you think?

I was thinking about rattlecaning it but I love campus green and I'm wondering if the paint is good enough just to leave as is.

Smart move is: leave it. But, once you get that itch to refinish a frame, it's a tough impulse to fight. So, important thing to remember is, that's your frame, so follow your guts...

(But, seriously, leave it.)

Keep it. Clean it and wax it a few times and I'll bet the campus green comes back nicely. No forks? A chrome springer would work well with it.

Thanks folks!
I'd consider a springer but I hear the repops are sub par. I'm gonna dig through the fork rack at the co-op tomorrow then I think I can start building

You do know that Patina is a color.. Leave It.!!!
What style build are you going with.? Then you can plan it out whether be Strandie, Klunker, Bmx, Origanal or just your own personal touch.. Either way its going to look good..

I agree with the folks that suggest a chrome fork, although it shouldn't be too hard to score a 26" Campus Green fork...

Tubular chrome forks have a bmx look to them, but they're pretty versatile in my opinion, and can work for a lot of build styles...

I kind of like the idea of a frankenbike. Most likely I will get a mtb fork or whatever I can find that fits. I already have alloy bars for it though I may save those for another project if the co-op has more appropriate ones. A crank is coming from eBay tomorrow and I should have it slapped together. Pretty much all my bikes are city bikes. I find that trails get boring but riding on the streets in St. Louis is always thrilling. At any given moment I can be run over or possibly shot.
Also this is going to be my leave outside year round bike because I ran out of room in my garage.
I also hope to motorize it but I haven gotten my wife drunk enough to agree to it yet.

Back