Pickin's are getting slim here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The bikes showing up at the thrift stores in my area are getting slim to none, or, someone in the store looks them up and puts a high price on a clapped out bike that would only be good for parts. Found this Huffy Sportsman at Red Racks tonight. It is a coaster brake, been looking for one and in not too bad of shape to boot.
Could not find a serial number anywhere, looks to be an early, 70's, but, I could be wrong.

Change your tactics. Do you have a local AM radio station that has a show with stuff for sale of wanted? Ours was on Sat. morning at 7 am and called Swap Shop. I'd call in and ask for old bikes, any condition. In about 10 minutes, my phone would be ringing. I got all my good treasure that way. Gary

Change your tactics. Do you have a local AM radio station that has a show with stuff for sale of wanted? Ours was on Sat. morning at 7 am and called Swap Shop. I'd call in and ask for old bikes, any condition. In about 10 minutes, my phone would be ringing. I got all my good treasure that way. Gary
Thanks, Gary, that is a great idea! Now, I will probably have to get a pick up truck to haul off the Chinese junkers to the dump, :grin:

It seems like its that way at most the thrift stores in the kc area. I haven't seen anything except over priced wm bikes in the last few weeks at the stores I stop at in liberty and indepence

It seems like its that way at most the thrift stores in the kc area. I haven't seen anything except over priced wm bikes in the last few weeks at the stores I stop at in liberty and indepence
It would not be a far fetch if some day soon, we will see classic bikes, at a Mecum auction.

I live in scottsdale, AZ so all the thrift stores have are wallmart mountain bikes that have sat in backyards for years. I get alot of good stuff from government surplus auctions.

Unfortunately, the pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer. Unlike the 1980 picture to the left where I was 1st inspired to build rats at 21 yrs old. (Mrs. Pattons Schwinn shop in Ft.Worth, TX...) If I grabbed everything I ran across back then I would be a happy camper. Today it is much different.:(

I'm usually ten years late when it comes to collectibles. Luckily I got in on the old bike collecting when the pickings were still good in the 80's. I've got enough projects to last a lifetime and a few nice restored bikes. Gary

You've got the cool Huffy mag sprocket! I had a Sportsman 3 speed nearly the same, it was a 71. There should be a serial number there somewhere. You have the BMA sticker on the seat tube, so it's 71 or later I believe. It looks to be in great shape.

Im in california and the .... scrapper heads keep taki g all the vintage bikes to the dumps just to get paid a couple dollars a bike. Its so sad and it makes me very angry.

Im also tired of seeing schwinns priced at 500 bucks for a ladies bike from the 90s

Yep thats happening out here and has been for years

Yeah I can see it sadly

We already have a Mecum-like auction, it's called Copake!

Latest posts

Back