700c wheel choices

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have an older Cannondale cad2 in dire need of new wheels. Even though I've been careful, rim dings thru the years have taken their toll. So do I go steel? Weight isn't an issue, but how much different would it ride? Cost is my real concern. Thanx.

Carl.

You don't want steel wheels even if you could find them. A good double wall alloy wheel is going to be stronger easier riding and better all around.

You don't want steel wheels even if you could find them. A good double wall alloy wheel is going to be stronger easier riding and better all around.

+1

Thnx, I kiinda figured that and I've seen a few wheelsets on ebay that were actually affordable. LBSs around here aren't really parts oriented.

Carl.

Last edited:
I'd say look on craigslist for a cheap bike that has wheels you can use.
I picked up a road bike for $20 that the wheels looked new.

Well I got the cannondale cheap but it's pretty nice, I probably should look for something new and cool to change it up. I've been riding it a few years as is... I swapped the drop handlebars for a tall stem and mtb bars. Added a shock seat post too since it's a hard tail. I love it now but it needs wheels...

Carl.

I'd suggest getting some bomber 700c rims, like Velocity Dyads or Salsa Delgados, which are out of production but still out there. These are fatter rims, but they can take 622x28 rubber, which should fit your Crack'n'fail and will reduce wheel damage while improving comfort on the ride. The old-school choice for a strong road rim is the Mavic Open Pro. BITD, I used to roll on a track bike with 622x25 tires, and weighed north of 240. I had some Open Pros, handbuilt by the LBS around Tiagra front/Surly rear hubs, and they stayed in true for years despite the negligent/abusive riding style i favored in those days. I retired the wheelset when a Ford ignition key punctured the tire and somehow also went THRU THE RIM, where it became temporarily embedded. I pulled the key out, changed the tube'n'tire, and rode it for a week til i got a new wheelset in....amazingly, the wheel was still true and didn't fail, but i still don't trust aluminum that's suffered that kinda trauma. But, long story short: Open Pro + Fat Guy + Abuse + Neglect + Fatal Stabbing by Key = Still True and Solid.

So, yeah, maybe get some Open Pros instead?

I'd suggest getting some bomber 700c rims, like Velocity Dyads or Salsa Delgados, which are out of production but still out there. These are fatter rims, but they can take 622x28 rubber, which should fit your Crack'n'fail and will reduce wheel damage while improving comfort on the ride. The old-school choice for a strong road rim is the Mavic Open Pro. BITD, I used to roll on a track bike with 622x25 tires, and weighed north of 240. I had some Open Pros, handbuilt by the LBS around Tiagra front/Surly rear hubs, and they stayed in true for years despite the negligent/abusive riding style i favored in those days. I retired the wheelset when a Ford ignition key punctured the tire and somehow also went THRU THE RIM, where it became temporarily embedded. I pulled the key out, changed the tube'n'tire, and rode it for a week til i got a new wheelset in....amazingly, the wheel was still true and didn't fail, but i still don't trust aluminum that's suffered that kinda trauma. But, long story short: Open Pro + Fat Guy + Abuse + Neglect + Fatal Stabbing by Key = Still True and Solid.

So, yeah, maybe get some Open Pros instead?
Thanks man, congrats on the trophy too...
Also...I'm runnin' 40's on it now, 28's? Hahahaha...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back